Prospect Info: Cole Caufield II (Montreal 15th overall in 2019 draft) mod warning # 560

How many goals will Caufield score in the 3 development camp scrimmages?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
What would you guys peg Caufield's ETA at? Is a year from now unreasonable?

2 years minimum imo (depending of course on just how that first year in college goes of course, if he hits over 20 goals, it accelerates the whole process imo)

But for these NCAAers, its usually 2-3 years, Poehling is a good example

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Well i'd certainly like to see THAT

I've set the bar personally at 20, if i see even just 20 ill be majorly impressed, but 30?, he'll probably be in the NHL after such a season lol

Could be possible. Debrincat made it in his D+2.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
It's not that important, but Caufields dad and elder brother are both a bit taller and apparently he grew an inch in the last few months. He could be a bit taller once he makes it.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
By any chance, do you know the name of the guy who's feeding Caufield on his highlights? He look like a pretty good player, I think we should give him a try-out.

Im glad someone brought this up, Obviously in all the highlights, there's a certain number 6 that stands out, BUT, the number 13 (caufield) stands out RIGHT along with that number 6, and i dont want to take ANYTHING away from number 6, but a lot of people in the NHL can make passes like or similar to that, and montreal currently has an ABUNDANCE of very very decent passers

What stood out in those highlights mostly was how well they played off EACH other, like button said, the brilliant playmaker needs a brilliant scorer just like the brilliant scorer needs a brilliant playmaker

Hughes certainly is one of the more dynamic and better passers weve seen come around in a while, sure, but he isnt the second coming of christ, or the second coming of sidney crosby for that matter, let's just call a spade a spade here, he's mortal lol, and he's a very very good passer, and there are a LOT of those in the NHL

You look at alot of his teammates that were picked, a lot of them can "score" sure but it looks like most are all passers first... Caufield scores ...and scores...and scores...

check out that 44 goals in 40 games for the U-17 year, Hughes only played 24 games that season with him...
The amount of times he has scored more than the games played is actually ASTOUNDING

The year Matthews put up his 55 goals and 79 overall, he wasnt playing with a bunch of slackers either, but to go and pot 72 and 126 overall.. not 5 more, not 10 more, but FORTY SEVEN more goals lol...

Just doesnt happen by accident, and it doesnt happen ONLY because he is jack hughes line mate, jack hughes assist totals can be DIRECTLY tied to caufield burying them into the back of the net, they are clearly best of friends lol

Reactions: NewDef

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Yup scoring 65 in 63 in D+1 in the CHL will do that, but if everyone wants to knock caufield for being on a line with Hughes... Preeeeetty sure Debrincat spent a lot of time with McDavid too lol and Strome for that matter

Agreed. Caufield didn't exclusively play with Hughes either and still scored at a high rate.

I wouldn't exclude him from making the NHL in two years. On Kotkaniemi or Domi's wing, he could do a lot of damage.

Reactions: Redux91

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
Still not seeing it. Watching his highlights and everything is slow af around him, he’s got all the time in the world to shoot. I feel like this is a Gaudreau/Debrincat reaction pick. Hope I’m wrong and he smashes it.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Well i'd certainly like to see THAT

I've set the bar personally at 20, if i see even just 20 ill be majorly impressed, but 30?, he'll probably be in the NHL after such a season lol

It sounds like he's not f***ing around when he says his goal is to make the NHL as soon as possible. I kind of expect him to -- at the very least -- make a Gallagher kind of push after a strong NCAA season. Would not be surprised at all to see him in the show in the D+2.

What can I say, the little guy grew on me the more I dug into him. Initially I had more or less written him off, but, that was a very surface level diagnostic. You just don't get the chance to draft a scorer like him very often.

Reactions: Redux91

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
No need to be snarky, my gut feeling isn’t worth anything. I’d rather Newhook or Heinola. Time will tell.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
It sounds like he's not ****ing around when he says his goal is to make the NHL as soon as possible. I kind of expect him to -- at the very least -- make a Gallagher kind of push after a strong NCAA season. Would not be surprised at all to see him in the show in the D+2.

What can I say, the little guy grew on me the more I dug into him. Initially I had more or less written him off, but, that was a very surface level diagnostic. You just don't get the chance to draft a scorer like him very often.

Agreed, especially on the writing him off part, but, writing him off because he would of and should of been drafted SOONER is a good kind of writing off lol

But no you're right, you dig and dig on this kid, and it just doesnt compute how he DOESNT at least become some kind of 25 goal scorer at the NHL level, the dream is he gets to 40 like DeBrincat

i mean ..lol

44 goals in 40 games, 29 goals in 28 USHL games, 72 goals in 64 games...and then a U-18 14 goals in 7 games..... just...like ... thats not ALL jack hughes lmao , even what like 8 goals in 6 games at U-17....its just eye popping stats ..the way that they would be talking about this person, if he was merely a few inches taller blows my mind...

Reactions: NewDef and Hansman

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
No need to be snarky, my gut feeling isn’t worth anything. I’d rather Newhook or Heinola. Time will tell.

Well, 2 things

He was hardly being snarky, and secondly, as IF you wouldnt expect some kind of snarkiness knowing you're going against the general consensus.... but no oh woe's you lol

It will be interesting to see who comes out looking the best out of Caufield , Newhook and Krebs, for sure, I impatiently wait for the sample sizes

Reactions: Johnny31

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Agreed, especially on the writing him off part, but, writing him off because he would of and should of been drafted SOONER is a good kind of writing off lol

But no you're right, you dig and dig on this kid, and it just doesnt compute how he DOESNT at least become some kind of 25 goal scorer at the NHL level, the dream is he gets to 40 like DeBrincat

i mean ..lol

44 goals in 40 games, 29 goals in 28 USHL games, 72 goals in 64 games...and then a U-18 14 goals in 7 games..... just...like ... thats not ALL jack hughes lmao , even what like 8 goals in 6 games at U-17....its just eye popping stats ..the way that they would be talking about this person, if he was merely a few inches taller blows my mind...

The ''carried by Hughes'' argument lacks depth. It is certainly true that anyone would benefit from playing with Hughes. That's just what happen when you play with good players. The claim that the ''carried by Hughes'' argument tries to make, though, is a different one: they have to support the claim that the production is a mirage, otherwise, what the hell are they talking about?

When you dig deeper into the statistics, there's more than enough reasonable doubt to suggest that Caufield is good for a lot of own production. When you watch the games, it removes all doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad