Prospect Info: Cole Caufield II (Montreal 15th overall in 2019 draft) mod warning # 560

How many goals will Caufield score in the 3 development camp scrimmages?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Numbers speak for themselves though, because one was hyped back in the day is not an omen of how Caufield will turn out just cause they are short.

Caufield has already surpassed in two years and by a good margin what took Grimaldi to accomplish in 5.....Caufield will probably triple Grimaldi’s totals in almost half the time.

There are definitely similarities but Caufield is a much better shooter.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
There are definitely similarities but Caufield is a much better shooter.

Somehow, for a guy in sole possession of goal scoring records ahead of Kessel and Matthews, it seems like Caufield doesn't manage to get enough credit for his shot. It feels like there are a lot of people who don't think he's actually an elite goalscorer, and if you were to ask those people why they think as they do, they would probably say that he doesn't have a brutally powerful shot. Somehow people still don't believe that accuracy, angle, and quickness matter more than raw power when it comes to possessing a deadly shooting arsenal. And in terms of raw power, Caufield is pretty clearly into diminishing returns territory.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Tsn confirmed it was Caufield or Krebs. The call was Bergevin and ch drafted Caufield because Bergevin traded two seconds and missed out on Alex Debrincat. This pick was a closure to leaving 40 goal scorer debrincat

Reactions: Redux91

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Tsn confirmed it was Caufield or Krebs. The call was Bergevin and ch drafted Caufield because Bergevin traded two seconds and missed out on Alex Debrincat. This pick was a closure to leaving 40 goal scorer debrincat

I think they took the right guy. But I wouldn't have been mad if they took Krebs. It would have been a "OK, OK, great pick. Alright, nice!" type of reaction, while Caufield selection was like "YESSSSSSSS!".

Reactions: HabsMD97 and cphabs

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Now, now, let's all taper our expectations. We all do this every year and have our prospects all pegged as the next savior.
having said that....

I think he scores:
-50 Goals in about 49 Games
-wins the rocket a minimum of 9 times in his career.

Grows six inches over the summer and the ensuing scoring feats make Ovechkin look like Mete,

Reactions: endo519

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
The ability he has of corralling a less than ideal pass and getting it off his stick in a less than fraction of second tells me his ability will translate well.

I'm glad others noticed this. One of the traits I really liked about Caufield is his ability to score even if it isn't a perfect tape to tape pass. The game is so fast at the NHL level and a bobbling puck is something that is the norm rather than the exception.

Man, so glad we got him. I had been pining for him in the draft thread back in February but was convinced we had no chance when he lit up the U18's. Of course, winning the lottery was the dream, but this was to me the best case scenario outside of that. All picks in consideration (#1 to #15), he was #4 on my list.

OB5

May 2, 2015
I've been watching the highlights on him and he can score from everywhere, in any situation, against guys that are already bigger and stronger than him. He will no doubt be a prolific scorer in the NHL for years.

He scores off the rush, on the PP, from the goalmouth...he's diving for loose pucks, fighting off defenders, gaining position on breakways...he's just a pure scorer.

Having said that, I know nothing about the other aspects of his game. TBH it might not even matter.

What I really notice is how good is at evading defenders and getting himself open in the offensive zone. I also noticed how good Jack Hughes is at drawing defenders to him, which no doubt contributes to Caufield finding space (I think this could matter at the NHL level but Kotkaniemi has that knack as well). You can tell which teams are prepared to defend both players and it doesn't make a difference. Caufield's size works to his advantage in that way in which he doesn't need a lot of space to get off his insane shot. He moves an inch off the defender and the puck is in the net.

On the PP, where I think he will be the most valuable, he is lethal from the left side of the ice at any range and at any angle...but is also a serious threat from the bumper spot in the slot opening up options from the half wall and below the goal line.

We're going to love him.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I'm glad others noticed this. One of the traits I really liked about Caufield is his ability to score even if it isn't a perfect tape to tape pass. The game is so fast at the NHL level and a bobbling puck is something that is the norm rather than the exception.

Man, so glad we got him. I had been pining for him in the draft thread back in February but was convinced we had no chance when he lit up the U18's. Of course, winning the lottery was the dream, but this was to me the best case scenario outside of that. All picks in consideration (#1 to #15), he was #4 on my list.
In that way, the comparison to Messi is not so absurd. Both players are adept at making something out of nothing, or a broken play. The combination of coordination and balance to quickly get on the front foot to shoot with authority is the common thread, even though what we mean by coordination is different here: eyes-hands vs eyes-feet. In a sense, they've weaponized their short stocky body type, because a taller player struggles with more inertia in finding balance to shoot. And both strike me as relatively fearless, despite the size difference, or at least confident enough to overcome fear.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
In that way, the comparison to Messi is not so absurd. Both players are adept at making something out of nothing, or a broken play. The combination of coordination and balance to quickly get on the front foot to shoot with authority is the common thread, even though what we mean by coordination is different here: eyes-hands vs eyes-feet. In a sense, they've weaponized their short stocky body type, because a taller player struggles with more inertia in finding balance to shoot. And both strike me as relatively fearless, despite the size difference, or at least confident enough to overcome fear.

He reminds me of Mbappe, to be honest. With both of them, if they're in alone, your keeper is probably f***ed. For both of them, one of their most important assets isn't their shots per se, but when the shot comes and from what angle. Mbappe will get his foot on any old ball and handle it as few times as possible before letting a shot go. Cole will shoot from anywhere, standing, skating, or falling, rolling puck or not. Both have simple games otherwise, and are good if unspectacular playmakers and danglers.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
It seems too easy for him to just pick the corners. Gets the puck up absurdly fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: cphabs

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Somehow, for a guy in sole possession of goal scoring records ahead of Kessel and Matthews, it seems like Caufield doesn't manage to get enough credit for his shot. It feels like there are a lot of people who don't think he's actually an elite goalscorer, and if you were to ask those people why they think as they do, they would probably say that he doesn't have a brutally powerful shot. Somehow people still don't believe that accuracy, angle, and quickness matter more than raw power when it comes to possessing a deadly shooting arsenal. And in terms of raw power, Caufield is pretty clearly into diminishing returns territory.

I would say that raw power is the easiest thing to improve at this stage for him. Caufield will be a heck of a player... if he trains hard in the gym the next 2 off seasons. But yeah I think accuracy, not selling when you'll shoot and release are probably more important anyway.

That said, he also scored plenty of goals with the one timer from the Ovechkin spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad