Prospect Info: Cole Caufield II (Montreal 15th overall in 2019 draft) mod warning # 560

How many goals will Caufield score in the 3 development camp scrimmages?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

for those that aren't aware when watching that vid, that is his soon to be coach at Wisconsin Tony Granato that hugs him at the 1:55 mark. I've heard they are close and was one of the main reasons he and his brother chose to commit there. So for those hoping he will play in the OHL, I would say it's highly unlikely.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
for those that aren't aware when watching that vid, that is his soon to be coach at Wisconsin Tony Granato that hugs him at the 1:55 mark. I've heard they are close and was one of the main reasons he and his brother chose to commit there. So for those hoping he will play in the OHL, I would say it's highly unlikely.

Like Rob Blake says in this montage, Granato will teach them what it takes to be a pro.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Yet. He's 17. He could very well be an HOF, or a bust. People are not comparing him to H. Richard or the Roadrunner for his actual career projection, they are naming examples of small players that succeed. But let me tell you, at 17 none of those guys were considered future HoFer, obviously, and none of them had the shot/release this guy got. So that's one thing he has over them. Not saying he's better but he could. Like any good prospect with elite attributes. Is Dahlin a future HoFer? Who knows? Anything could happen. But he's so much talented that it's clear he has a safer bet than any b-level prospect. Caufield has an almost Laine/Ovie caliber shot.

Edit : And St-Louis didnt have such tree trunks at 17. Maybe Caufield works out super hard and focuses a lot on his legs and can approach this level of fitness. Again who knows? Dont think its impossible. Ask @Kriss E he's the fitness guru here IIRC.
Ok, I get being excited, but I think we need to tone things down a bit. Caufield got picked where he did for a reason. Like you said, he could become a good NHL player, or he could bust. But to go on and mention him with the likes of Dahlin, Ovechkin, and Laine is just silly. Those players were in a whole different stratosphere as prospects compared to Caufield. And St. Louis' career trajectory might be a once in a lifetime thing to see.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Ok, I get being excited, but I think we need to tone things down a bit. Caufield got picked where he did for a reason. Like you said, he could become a good NHL player, or he could bust. But to go on and mention him with the likes of Dahlin, Ovechkin, and Laine is just silly. Those players were in a whole different stratosphere as prospects compared to Caufield. And St. Louis' career trajectory might be a once in a lifetime thing to see.

Pastrnak got picked where he got picked for a reason

Same with Jamie Benn
And Theodore
And Forsberg

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014

I didnt say he has good a prospect as Laine/Ovie were, but the release in itself his definitely in that ballpark.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Don't forget this one, @Adam Michaels :sarcasm:

Is it possible for a man in his early 30s to adopt an 18 year old hockey player?

I'm definately going to get his jersey soon...This kid is something special, what a gem!

Last edited:

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
What is it with these kids smiling these days? That's so unprofessional.

sans_t11.jpg

981601980.jpg.1529712146.jpg
Who's the kid in the background? He looks small as well.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
According to Arpon Basu of the Athletic, Cam York was Marc Bergevin's personal pick at 15, and had he been available at 15, the Habs' draft table would have had a massive debate between Caufield and York, and believes the Habs would have ultimately went with York over Caufield because that's how much Bergevin loved York.

Thank God for Timmins and the Flyers.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
According to Arpon Basu of the Athletic, Cam York was Marc Bergevin's personal pick at 15, and had he been available at 15, the Habs' draft table would have had a massive debate between Caufield and York, and believes the Habs would have ultimately went with York over Caufield because that's how much Bergevin loved York.

as much as that makes me want to puke wasn't it MB who wanted Rielly over AG?

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016

I like Cam York. I think he'll be a good NHL D.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Allegedly yes.

Im just going off of what Basu said, who got that impression after talking to both Timmins and Bergevin.

I think these two are at loggerheads a lot of the time but in the end it could be a fruitful though often times obstreperous relationship. After 2 really bad luck drafts then a couple where we barely had picks, I feel like the last 3 or 4 could be getting us back on track. The cupboard on paper looks as good as it's ever been.

Obviously we still have to wait and see but I have a good feeling with where we're going at least with the kids. It may have been too long a winding road to get to this point but we may have actually gotten there.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Philly taking Cam York was the blessing we all deserved.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I'm sure he will.

Would I pick him over Caufield if given the choice between the two? Absolutely not.
I would have taken Newhook. For me it would have been a toss-up between York and CC, but I think ultimately I would have went with Caufield as well. Probably only because I feel like MTL has gone with dmen over skilled forwards to much over the years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad