Prospect Info: Cole Caufield II (Montreal 15th overall in 2019 draft) mod warning # 560

How many goals will Caufield score in the 3 development camp scrimmages?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Still not seeing it. Watching his highlights and everything is slow af around him, he’s got all the time in the world to shoot. I feel like this is a Gaudreau/Debrincat reaction pick. Hope I’m wrong and he smashes it.

Scored at every level. Look back, try and find an obvious learning or "struggle" season.

The kid is a gifted scorer. And i suspect part of it is an ability to read and react well.

Could he bury a bunch playing with two dolts?

Few could...and any coach would want him lined up with matching talent.

It IS a reaction pick. The reaction just isn't a dusty and musty ol' "Nice kid, but that's Round 3 size."

He wasn't escaping Round 1. The gift transcends his height.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
I'm lukewarm with this pick. Yes, it's good to pick a player that was a consensus top 10 where we were picking. However, his size is a concern considering all our other talented players/prospects @ forward are not big or very physical (maybe Poehling?).

Some will make an arguement that talent trumps size but it doesn't have to be an either/or debate. There were other talented players available. And for those pointing to McCarron, well he was a bad pick from the very beginning... most of us knew this when he was picked.

Obviously the Habs scouts have seen these players much more so I will keep an open mind but I don't want to relive another "smurfs" episode... talent > size but size is still a very important aspect even in today's NHL.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm lukewarm with this pick. Yes, it's good to pick a player that was a consensus top 10 where we were picking. However, his size is a concern considering all our other talented players/prospects @ forward are not big or very physical (maybe Poehling?).

Some will make an arguement that talent trumps size but it doesn't have to be an either/or debate. There were other talented players available. And for those pointing to McCarron, well he was a bad pick from the very beginning... most of us knew this when he was picked.

Obviously the Habs scouts have seen these players much more so I will keep an open mind but I don't want to relive another "smurfs" episode... talent > size but size is still a very important aspect even in today's NHL.

Agreed. I feel the same about the pick but I would feel a lot better about it if we had a core that had better size balance. Shaw, Byron will likely be gone sometime in the future but Domi, Caufield, Mete, Suzuki, Droun as parts of the long term core? We will see how our roster looks in 3 years time.

I don't think we are that small overall. Key is up the middle and on D.

Drouin / Kotkaniemi / Suzuki
Domi / Poehling / Caufield
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Lehkonen / Ikonen / Ylonen

Armia, Teasdale, Evans, Olofsson, McShane

Mete / Weber
Romanov / Brook
Kulak / Juulsen

Struble, Harris, Norlinder, Fairbrother

Last edited:

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Agreed. I feel the same about the pick but I would feel a lot better about it if we had a core that had better size balance. Shaw, Byron will likely be gone sometime in the future but Domi, Caufield, Mete, Suzuki, Droun as parts of the long term core? We will see how our roster looks in 3 years time.

I seriously don't think it matters as much as it did. The game is all about speed and a high paced intensity. Let's put size aside once and for all.

Reactions: Redux91

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I seriously don't think it matters as much as it did. The game is all about speed and a high paced intensity. Let's put size aside once and for all.

I honestly am 50/50 on that debate. Last two cup winners didn't have too many soft or small players. You got to win the battles in order to win the 7 game war. Maybe the small and skilled movement hasn't kicked in yet in terms of how this fits the strategy of actually winning a cup. Time will tell.

However, the more important ingredient or conversation that should be talked about is... Size < Toughness and Compete level.

We can put the size debate to bed once a team with a build like the Habs actually wins a cup or competes for a cup for several years. Maybe the Habs are the ones who do this first and other teams try to copycat our team build? :sarcasm:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I won’t deny our team could stand to be bigger but I am not sure what the expectations were with the pick. It’s not like Newhook and Krebs (both who I like a lot) are behemoths as neither are 6’ either. Harley is over 6’, though he’s a LHD (a need) but even accounting for size, I can’t believe anyone would think Harley is BPA at #15.

I’d be debating between CC, Newhook and Krebs as well, but I think CC’s ability to both create offense and score himself is too good to pass. Yes, he isn’t perfect, but he didn’t get drafted #1 either. I’ll accept some of the shortcomings as his scoring ability is elite.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Scored at every level. Look back, try and find an obvious learning or "struggle" season.

The kid is a gifted scorer. And i suspect part of it is an ability to read and react well.

Could he bury a bunch playing with two dolts?

Few could...and any coach would want him lined up with matching talent.

It IS a reaction pick. The reaction just isn't a dusty and musty ol' "Nice kid, but that's Round 3 size."

He wasn't escaping Round 1. The gift transcends his height.

I looked at his year to year stats as well and he is pretty much close to goal/game stats as far back as you can look.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Still not seeing it. Watching his highlights and everything is slow af around him, he’s got all the time in the world to shoot. I feel like this is a Gaudreau/Debrincat reaction pick. Hope I’m wrong and he smashes it.
It might... but if it is a product of slow adversaries and inept defensive systems around Caufield than it is the same critique you must feel against Hughes, Turcotte and the likes... they all played in the same games against the same opponents.

I think you need to revisit your point with that in mind.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
D90541IW4AE3pd4
Looks like we are a bunch of stat nerds.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I won’t deny our team could stand to be bigger but I am not sure what the expectations were with the pick. It’s not like Newhook and Krebs (both who I like a lot) are behemoths as neither are 6’ either. Harley is over 6’, though he’s a LHD (a need) but even accounting for size, I can’t believe anyone would think Harley is BPA at #15.

I’d be debating between CC, Newhook and Krebs as well, but I think CC’s ability to both create offense and score himself is too good to pass. Yes, he isn’t perfect, but he didn’t get drafted #1 either. I’ll accept some of the shortcomings as his scoring ability is elite.

You are right, Caufield was bpa. Problem is Timmins started drafting by needs after the first round

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I won't deny I'm not terribly enthused with our day 2 draft. A lot of wait and see, but I think they passed on some good players.

When you start drafting by needs, the results can be putrid. Why draft by needs? A good fa signing can fill that lhd hole or via a trade (ghost)

Jul 6, 2016
Watching this draft again, still baffled on how Caufield dropped so much. What a fantastic pick. It was either York or Caufield for you guys so you got a pretty good player either way.

Thanks to Philly who picked up York.... Because Bergevin and Timmins would had taken him even if Caufield would had still be available. They had a tunnel vision to draft left d-men... and that's what they have done (mostly) in the further rounds.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Thanks to Philly who picked up York.... Because Bergevin and Timmins would had taken him even if Caufield would had still be available. They had a tunnel vision to draft left d-men... and that's what they have done (mostly) in the further rounds.
Do you have a link on these accusations?

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal

The 126 goal stat does not lie...

CC shoots with speed and high accuracy... and he must know how to find the open spots on the ice.

Oilers should've picked him for McDavid's wing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad