Confirmed with Link: COL/WSH Grubauer, Orpik for Avs 2018 2nd round pick

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Love this trade except I think Avs could have gotten it done with 58th instead, but I will admit that Grubauer is better than anyone we draft at 47th. If it wasn't for Grubauer there was this sort of chance that Capitals finished the season in the wildcard position instead of top of the Metro.

He isn't overly big, but he is quite athletic and plays a very similar style to Varlamov where he's more wide than tall. Trust me, I am a pretty big fan of him, but some of the goals he lets in can drive you crazy. A lot of short-side ones on the glove side in particular that Blue Jackets exposed a lot in the playoffs. If he cleans it up, he can be a lowish-mid-tier number one for me around Martin Jones type of impact. True, that I am definitely not a Jones fan, but Grubauer is a more complete goaler where Martin has a lot of holes in his game like lack of lateral movement, Godawful 5-hole, and has some terrible vision from screens.

Reactions: Avs_19

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I think Salic understands the identity of the team and how we’re going to win. Having an anchor who can’t skate on the third pair isn’t staying consistent with our identity and we took on the cap in order to make a good homey trade just before cap becomes a concern for us.

Say what you will, but Grubauer played damn well last year and had pretty good numbers. Maybe he won’t be a top 10 goalie, but he’s a viable starter based on what I’ve seen.

Reactions: MacBradley

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I wonder if part of this move was to also try to make sure Carlson doesn’t end up signing with a rival team. He’s gotta know that he’s likely to stay in Washington if they can afford him, so make that move.

Or somehow Sakic found out Grubs and Carlsson are best buds, made it seems like hes taking a cap dump so they can sign him in exchange for a goalie. All the while knowing Grubs leaving gives him a good shot at Carlsson being available.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Love this trade except I think Avs could have gotten it done with 58th instead, but I will admit that Grubauer is better than anyone we draft at 47th. If it wasn't for Grubauer there was this sort of chance that Capitals finished the season in the wildcard position instead of top of the Metro.

I wanted it to be the 58th simply so we could have added Grubauer into the Duchene return.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Props to the BSN guys on this too. McKenzie was the first to connect the Avs to Grubauer but Dater and AJ were both on it afterwards. They didn't have details but they told us it was a goalie and it was close/done.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Sure I’d like it to have been the 58th, but realistically, the isles were offering an earlier 2nd than us.

At some point Washington just bites the bullet and trades him in division

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
If he's really getting bought out that's a lot of money just to get Grubauer for a 2nd round pick, Grubauer is a solid goalie with starter potential but he's probably Talbot/Jones level or a bit lower rather than Schneider/Varlamov.

If this means the Caps can sign Orpik back at whatever is left after Carlson/Kempny/Beagle/DSP are resigned I'd be over the moon, but he's probably getting a Girardi+ contract somewhere.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
It's obvious to me that there's a lot of HF folks who have not watched Grubauer play. Gruby was Mr. Reliable this past season when Holtby went into his funk during the regular season. Gruby is the real deal and is definitely a number 1 NHL goalie. You guys will not be disappointed, he's legit! Glad that he's in the west.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Does Orpik's contract get spread over two years? Or is it like FBs +35 that counts against the cap for 1 year regardless?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm not a huge Grubauer fan, so I don't know if I feel like the rest of you do in thinking that our goalie depth is solved now. I just don't believe in his starter potential. Then again, I though for sure Darling would turn into a decent mid-level starter in Carolina, so what the hell do I know?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm not a huge Grubauer fan, so I don't know if I feel like the rest of you do in thinking that our goalie depth is solved now. I just don't believe in his starter potential. Then again, I though for sure Darling would turn into a decent mid-level starter in Carolina, so what the hell do I know?
Even if he never becomes a number one, at least he solidifies the back up role for many years to come. He's only 26 years old and goalers tend to develop later. And he's a very reliable back up too.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017

I don't think it's "solved" but it's solved in terms of this upcoming season. With Varly still on the books it doesn't make a ton of sense to bring in another veteran #1. This move (and the Francouz signing) certainly put us in a great position next offseason, because we'll have a very good idea of what we have at each level of our goaltending depth when we're deciding what to do with Varly and whether or not we need to make a move for a genuine #1.

Reactions: MacBradley

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm very, very happy with this trade. Not only because we get a good goalie but also because Sakic is showing that he's willing to use cap space as an asset. He's really improving as a GM.

Reactions: Pure

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Sakic has gotten creative in shoring up the goaltending pipeline this summer. Impressive.

Next step is actually drafting and developing a damn goalie.
I agree but I think we've already spent a 2nd pick on a goalie this year, I just don't see them drafting one of the top goalie available in this draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad