Confirmed with Link: COL/WSH Grubauer, Orpik for Avs 2018 2nd round pick

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I like this trade the more I think of it. Grubs is capable of taking over for awhile if/when Varly goes down.

But yeah it won't surprise me if this is Varlys last season with us.

Reactions: Avs_19

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
A 37 year old defensive defenseman who's a Stanley Cup winner to mentor the young core? What could possibly go wrong?

Happy to hear he'll be bought out. I'm sure he's a great guy and all but please no more vet leadership/mentoring.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Varly’s probably a goner either way but Grubauer’s contract should let us know pretty quickly.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I think it’s obvious they’re preparing for life after Varly, unless both Grubauer and Francouz completely disappoint this year and they’re left in a lurch. Glad to see the planning ahead rather than something reactionary a year from now.

Overall good day for the Avs. Seems Kovalchuk might be holding up a bit of the trade market. That and I suspect Carolina might be overpricing their guys. Sakic still absolutely needs an addition to the top six this off-season.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
If Grubauer can play like his most recent regular season self then this is a very good trade for us. While there are question marks about his consistency it has the potential to be a good and stabilizing move in net. The best outcome would be a Raanta like outcome from the trade.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If Grubauer can play like his most recent regular season self then this is a very good trade for us. While there are question marks about his consistency it has the potential to be a good and stabilizing move in net. The best outcome would be a Raanta like outcome from the trade.
You mean a 30th overall finish where you pull yourself out of the #1 pick at the last second?

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'm still not sold on the talent; not sure I see Grubauer developing into a long term full time starter.

Hope I'm wrong.

But Colorado didn't give up a lot, and at worst Grubauer was much better than anything available in free agency. He'll provide some level of stability to this team's goalie situation in the short term.

Reactions: McMetal

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Isabelle is a man!?!?

Einhorn is Finkle? Finkle is Einhorn? O my God! Einhorn is a man!

tenor.gif

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I hope they won't split starts with a 1A/1B situation. This has been tried several times by several teams in the past and it was never successful.

Reactions: McMetal

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I love this deal. We have one year now to evaluate both Grubs and Francouz and see if either or both could potentially be an NHL starter, then make an intelligent decision from that point. Grubauer is obviously already a capable backup at the very least, so him at 3 years is great because he'll very likely be a useful player throughout the deal.

Suddenly our goaltending situation looks great moving forward and all it cost us was a 2nd round pick and a bit of cap space.

Oh, and as an added benefit, players around the league will now have even greater respect for the Avs and Sakic after how he's treating Orpik (and how he treated Iginla and McLeod etc etc etc). That kind of thing could make a difference in the future when some free agent is deciding between signing with us or with someone else.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
I love this deal. We have one year now to evaluate both Grubs and Francouz and see if either or both could potentially be an NHL starter, then make an intelligent decision from that point. Grubauer is obviously already a capable backup at the very least, so him at 3 years is great because he'll very likely be a useful player throughout the deal.

Suddenly our goaltending situation looks great moving forward and all it cost us was a 2nd round pick and a bit of cap space.

Oh, and as an added benefit, players around the league will now have even greater respect for the Avs and Sakic after how he's treating Orpik (and how he treated Iginla and McLeod etc etc etc). That kind of thing could make a difference in the future when some free agent is deciding between signing with us or with someone else.

Tavares :naughty:

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Honestly as much as i like them using one of their 2nds to improve the roster
I like Sakic being blunt about Orpik even more lol, this way we aint got to sit
trying to work him into the roster, having Brad Stuart flashbacks

Reactions: Ararana

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Honestly as much as i like them using one of their 2nds to improve the roster
I like Sakic being blunt about Orpik even more lol, this way we aint got to sit
trying to work him into the roster, having Brad Stuart flashbacks

Sakic is a SUPER classy GM, who does right by his players. We saw this with things like the Mcleod trade, and even when Duchene was leaving he mentions how great Sakic was to him.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Sakic’s just a nice guy. Takes Grubauer off their hands, helps them clear space for Carlson, and lets Orpik know there’s zero need to even start googling information about Denver.

Reactions: S E P H

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->