Confirmed with Link: COL/WSH Grubauer, Orpik for Avs 2018 2nd round pick

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I doubt Sakic will be able to trade him. Even at 50% retention he would have a $2.75M cap hit and $2.25M salary. If you wait until he's bought out you can probably get him for $1.5M on July 1st.

Isn't the benefit of trading for him that you don't have to compete with other teams who want him.

Reactions: McMetal and Pure

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Why not WAS?
Seems they want him, just not at full contract price.

Why would the Caps do that? Surely Orpik would sign there if we bought him out. No, the trade scenario is for a team other than the Caps who wants him but doesn't think they could convince him to sign there.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Why would the Caps do that? Surely Orpik would sign there if we bought him out. No, the trade scenario is for a team other than the Caps who wants him but doesn't think they could convince him to sign there.

If Avs find a trade partner, and WAS wants him back (retained), they could offer a better pick than said trade partner.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Not sure WAS can reasonable afford him back even at 50% retained. They'd have to take their chance when he hits the open market on a buyout that he goes straight to them and not to the highest bidder.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Assuming Grubauer is signed to a three year deal, is he still a RFA at the end of it, or does it take him to UFA status?

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Any chance we see a Varlamov trade before season starts? No particular reason for him to be here anymore and I think it’s time

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Um, great. Why not.

Because a healthy Varlamov is still a starting goaltender, and it's much safer to run a tandem of Varly + Grubauer with Francouz there if/when Varly goes down to injury vs going with the two new guys, who aren't proven as a starting goalie, let alone one coming from the KHL.

I'd bet this is his last season with us though, we just brought in a guy who wants to be a #1G in Grubauer, and Francouz who has the same aspirations. I love Varly, his time is almost up here but I think we're better off next season with him around for at least one more year.

Didn't mean to come across as cross, these HF servers are making posting a pain in the ass. I did originally have a longer in depth one that never got sent so I went the passive aggressive path.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Any chance we see a Varlamov trade before season starts? No particular reason for him to be here anymore and I think it’s time

No particular reason for him to be here? What...?

He’s our 1a goaltender and the only proven thing we have in our organization.

Really confused with your post. You want to start the season with Grubauer and Francouz as the tandem?

Reactions: AvsGuy

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
No particular reason for him to be here? What...?

He’s our 1a goaltender and the only proven thing we have in our organization.

Really confused with your post. You want to start the season with Grubauer and Francouz as the tandem?

He likely is thinking that we're probably just about done with Varly -- 1 more season at best -- and wants to see if we can get assets for him now, instead of letting him walk for free after the season.

*not saying I agree, just saying it's a possible point of view...

Reactions: AvsGuy

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Varley is the second best goaltender the Avs have ever had by a big margin, and people are willing to throw him away and run with an unproven backup and a rookie. :huh:

If you're so convinced Grubs is going to be a star, just look at Darling. One of the hottest backups in the league crashed and burned under a starter workload. Being a good backup is very different from being a good starter.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
He likely is thinking that we're probably just about done with Varly -- 1 more season at best -- and wants to see if we can get assets for him now, instead of letting him walk for free after the season.

*not saying I agree, just saying it's a possible point of view...

But we are a playoff team and Varlamov is the best goaltender we have.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I just think if we’re obviously moving in the Grubauer-Francouz direction, I’d love not to pay Varlamov $5.9 million a year anymore to have minimal impact moving forward

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Goodbye, Orpik. Avs can easily carry that hit for the next two years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad