Confirmed with Link: COL/WSH Grubauer, Orpik for Avs 2018 2nd round pick

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Guys on NHL Network were wondering if Sakic will now trade Semyon Varlamov to a goalie needy team, pointing out Joe didn't bring Grubauer in to be the back out.

Probably a 1A/B situation again, but food for thought.

Wonder if Sakic could get something from the Isles. God knows they need a goalie, and Varly is good friends with Sorokin who they badly want to bring over - If I'm not mistaken Sorokin came to North America for two weeks last summer and spent most / all of it fishing with Varly in Colorado.

Reactions: shadow1

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Guys on NHL Network were wondering if Sakic will now trade Semyon Varlamov to a goalie needy team, pointing out Joe didn't bring Grubauer in to be the back out.

Probably a 1A/B situation again, but food for thought.

I might be in the minority but I wouldn't be against it if they feel Grubauer is ready to carry the load right away.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Bettman is an idiot for selfishly doing this Humboldt tribute all by himself. Of course he's gonna keep getting booed and ruin the moment.

It's not on him. If these idiots can't even shut the **** up for a tribute then it's all on them. Dallas fans have generally always been idiots, so that's not a surprise I suppose.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I might be in the minority but I wouldn't be against it if they feel Grubauer is ready to carry the load right away.

I'd be fine with it. Teams need goalies right now, and Varlamov is better than any UFA available.

If Jeff Skinner is still on the table, Varlamov could be a piece going back the other way with #16. Doubt it, though.

Reactions: Avs_19

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We got a German boy on our team now and we haven't heard from @cgf?

Can't care about other sports now; Germany lost it's opening match at the World Cup because our coach did everything I spent the past two years begging him not to do...

But ya Grubs! Boo Hall! Now get Drae with that Ottawa pick + Timmins + Orpik's corpse before Chia realizes Orpik is a corpse.

Reactions: missionAvs

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Hopefully Orpik is worth that 2nd rounder. Grubauer's results from playoffs tells everything you need to know about him.

Such a dumb post.

Orpik is terrible and will be off this roster in a week and a half.

Grubauer has started 3 career playoff games.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
No idea why you guys don't want to keep Orpik unless you're cap crunched. He was a huge mentor for Carlson, Schmidt, Djoos, Bowey and even Kuznetsov and they probably don't reach the levels they did without him. He could do wonders for Makar, Timmons, Girard and whoever else you got coming up. He was also very effective in the playoffs this year when used adequately. Literally only reason we needed him gone was the celery cap

Reactions: kuzy92

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
No idea why you guys don't want to keep Orpik unless you're cap crunched. He was a huge mentor for Carlson, Schmidt, Djoos, Bowey and even Kuznetsov and they probably don't reach the levels they did without him. He could do wonders for Makar, Timmons, Girard and whoever else you got coming up. He was also very effective in the playoffs this year when used adequately. Literally only reason we needed him gone was the celery cap

He wouldn't be around for when Makar and Timmins make the club, and we don't exactly have a good track record with veteran player leadership. Pretty sure Sakic and co have noped the f*** out of that philosophy.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He wouldn't be around for when Makar and Timmins make the club, and we don't exactly have a good track record with veteran player leadership. Pretty sure Sakic and co have noped the **** out of that philosophy.

He's also washed.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland

Doesn't fit in for the philosophy of "no matter what, don't win in playoffs". Better buy him out.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
He wouldn't be around for when Makar and Timmins make the club, and we don't exactly have a good track record with veteran player leadership. Pretty sure Sakic and co have noped the **** out of that philosophy.

That's a shame, I really like Colorado and he could have helped set a lot of good habits for the young players trying to find their way going forward. Kuznetsov didn't single him out as a huge influence for no reason. He also played exceptionally well and earned his icetime in the playoffs constantly bringing the pain, eating PK minutes and surprisingly not getting walked. Strange that he can't make the Avs roster despite being an excellent #5 on the caps, going as far as to lead the playoffs in +/-. He's no Lidstrom but for a veteran physical dfd he's solid.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
That's a shame, I really like Colorado and he could have helped set a lot of good habits for the young players trying to find their way going forward. Kuznetsov didn't single him out as a huge influence for no reason. He also played exceptionally well and earned his icetime in the playoffs constantly bringing the pain, eating PK minutes and surprisingly not getting walked. Strange that he can't make the Avs roster despite being an excellent #5 on the caps, going as far as to lead the playoffs in +/-. He's no Lidstrom but for a veteran physical dfd he's solid.

Being a good mentor may be a nice perk, but it's not a huge thing. Everything we've heard this year was that the locker room is extremely tight knit, I'm sure he could be a nice mentor but I'd rather roll with what we have now. Sakic has really embraced the youth movement.

Sakic may perhaps be looking to add another depth D too, and having Orpik there would create quite a log jam.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

We’ve got a lot of young guys to allocate ice time to. Is Orpik a better option than a Barberio/Warsofsky for the 5/6/nacho guy role? Probably. Do we want to pay a guy $5.5m to eat nachos? Probably not, even if that means paying him to stay home. We did it with Beauchemin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->