Confirmed with Link: COL/WSH Grubauer, Orpik for Avs 2018 2nd round pick

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The Avs just aren't good at drafting goalies, and they're clearly not confident in their ability to identify them. Trading for them is probably how they'll approach the position for a while.

I'm ok with it as long as they target the right guys. Skips the development time and you know you're not wasting that 2nd rounder on a bust.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
The Avs just aren't good at drafting goalies, and they're clearly not confident in their ability to identify them. Trading for them is probably how they'll approach the position for a while.

I'm ok with it as long as they target the right guys. Skips the development time and you know you're not wasting that 2nd rounder on a bust.

Drafting goalies is honestly just dumb luck. No one has any idea how to find them and they come along so rarely the most common way to get them is through trade.

Look at Jones, Raanta, Darling, Talbot, etc. You can hope to find guys like Murray in Pit who I think was a 4th? Its just kinda how it is.

I mean young long term goaltending was the Avs biggest question mark and if Grubs can be the solution this will be an absolute steal. If anything else its a great transition over the next few years.

Reactions: McMetal

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Drafting goalies is honestly just dumb luck. No one has any idea how to find them and they come along so rarely the most common way to get them is through trade.

Look at Jones, Raanta, Darling, Talbot, etc. You can hope to find guys like Murray in Pit who I think was a 4th? Its just kinda how it is.

I mean young long term goaltending was the Avs biggest question mark and if Grubs can be the solution this will be an absolute steal. If anything else its a great transition over the next few years.

Who has had the better career so far? Jack Campbell or Calvin Pickard?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This trade is interesting for a few reasons aside from the obvious ones.

The Avs basically helped the Caps re-sign Carlson before they even got a chance to talk to him. It makes it seem unlikely Holtby would sign here a year from now to form the same tandem with the guy he lost his starters job to, but you never know. Also makes it less likely the Caps move Samsonov now. He'll probably backup Holtby, and if he plays well he could get the starters job the following year.

I'd say the most likely outcomes now for the Avs future goaltending picture is they either they re-sign Varly to a short term deal at the end of next year, or they go with a Grubauer-Francouz tandem if Francouz really stands out this year. I'd give a 50/50 chance of either happening at this point.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
You mean a 30th overall finish where you pull yourself out of the #1 pick at the last second?

Raanta went from being a good backup to a great goaltender on the Rangers to putting up good numbers in a quasi starting role with the Coyotes. In 2017-2018 Raanta played the most games of his career (47) while putting up the best save percentage (.930) in a season in which he played more then 20 games. You can evaluate Raanta’s play (which was at the very least average if not very good when he was healthy) absent of the Coyotes horrid season. If Grubauer can put up good numbers while playing the most games of his career then it would have been a good outcome for the Avalanche

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
This trade is interesting for a few reasons aside from the obvious ones.

The Avs basically helped the Caps re-sign Carlson before they even got a chance to talk to him. It makes it seem unlikely Holtby would sign here a year from now to form the same tandem with the guy he lost his starters job to, but you never know. Also makes it less likely the Caps move Samsonov now. He'll probably backup Holtby, and if he plays well he could get the starters job the following year.

I'd say the most likely outcomes now for the Avs future goaltending picture is they either they re-sign Varly to a short term deal at the end of next year, or they go with a Grubauer-Francouz tandem if Francouz really stands out this year. I'd give a 50/50 chance of either happening at this point.

When you think about it, Carlson was likely staying either way. However the Avs took a starting goaltending option from the NYI and you'd have to think it'll be hard convincing JT to resign without their goaltending shored up. The Avs are actually a legitimate team in on JT

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
This is the kind of trade only good GMs are capable of making. The ones who can get creative with deals.

Sakic is quietly becoming one of the leagues better GMs. This team is in very good hands.

He has really turned the perception of him around in the last year or so. Made some very savvy moves.

Very nice. Get him re-signed and let him compete for whatever position it is he is going to compete for.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
So Sakic went out and "solved" our biggest issue with signing the best goalie outside US and a guy who is at least an A+ backup. And we all now what Varly can do when he's on his game (and healthy). A position of weakness is now a position of strenght. Pretty much what he did with our D, only one year earlier. Awesome job Joe.

Reactions: MarkT

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The Caps are the Avalanche's farm team.

How much did we pay for the Flash again? I wonder what connection KSE has to the Caps owner sometimes. We seem to have a damn good relationship with them regardless of how our management group is made up.

member 116861

How much did we pay for the Flash again? I wonder what connection KSE has to the Caps owner sometimes. We seem to have a damn good relationship with them regardless of how our management group is made up.

Scott "-22" Hannah

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I was going to ask if anyone gave two shits how much he was signed for....but apparentely those among us that can sqeeze a penny into dripping liquid copper do.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I doubt Sakic will be able to trade him. Even at 50% retention he would have a $2.75M cap hit and $2.25M salary. If you wait until he's bought out you can probably get him for $1.5M on July 1st.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I doubt Sakic will be able to trade him. Even at 50% retention he would have a $2.75M cap hit and $2.25M salary. If you wait until he's bought out you can probably get him for $1.5M on July 1st.
I'd say odds are high that he'd really only sign with Washington or Pittsburgh at that price... so if somebody other than then wants Orpik, then they will have to trade for him. Probably not a line of those teams though...

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah I thought Orpik was quite good in the playoffs for the Caps. IMO its a bit of a shame we're not even going to entertain keeping him on the team. He's a real leader in the dressing room and would be a perfect mentor/partner for Girard for one season.

Not a huge deal though. Getting Grubauer for a 2nd was a beastly move from Sakic. Hopefully we dont have to buy him out and can trade him to a team at 50% retained for a pick or something.

Hopefully there's a team that will give us a 5th or something for him at 2.75M.

Reactions: MarkT

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Yeah I thought Orpik was quite good in the playoffs for the Caps. IMO its a bit of a shame we're not even going to entertain keeping him on the team. He's a real leader in the dressing room and would be a perfect mentor/partner for Girard for one season.

Not a huge deal though. Getting Grubauer for a 2nd was a beastly move from Sakic. Hopefully we dont have to buy him out and can trade him to a team at 50% retained for a pick or something.

Hopefully there's a team that will give us a 5th or something for him at 2.75M.

Why not WAS?
Seems they want him, just not at full contract price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad