GDT: COL @ VAN: Grudge Match (10:30p ET)

Stallone or DeNiro?

• Stallone

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • DeNiro

Votes: 44 62.0%

• Total voters

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I like Mexico, but I'd never want to raise my family there.

Great weather, food, etc. but crime-ridden and, rightfully so, considered one of the most dangerous countries in the world.

Awesome for a vacation on a resort, but I'd never consider living there. Let's be real.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Great weather, food, etc. but crime-ridden and, rightfully so, considered one of the most dangerous countries in the world.

Awesome for a vacation on a resort, but I'd never consider living there. Let's be real.
I’m confused you just described the Florida.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Yeah, I'm divorced, won't be moving my kids there lol. Which is why splitting time makes the most sense.

f*** Michigan from January through March lol. When my kids are older if they want to go they can bring their laptops for school.

Mexico is amazing… you just have to have tolerance on somethings you take for granted in the US. There are areas to avoid, but that’s everywhere to different extents.

The Army prepared me well for this.. Let's just say I didn't always have hot water on tap while on my "vacation". I only stayed in the Hotel zone one night on the way back.

I put 6,000 Kilometers on the rental car in two weeks.

Also my allergy issues disappeared while there. Which had a larger impact on my quality of life than I had ever imagined it would.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I get it but they did win so it’s moot now

In addition to the Wild only making it past the 2nd round once years ago, the Avs have 7 division championships to the Wild's 1, and 2 Stanley Cups to their 0 since they've been in the league.

Avs won 1 Cup, went through a complete rebuild, and won another while the Wild have floundered, and would probably be bottom dwellers again without getting lucky on Kaprizov.

They also have a chance to win an 8th division championship and 3rd Cup in that time this year, while the Wild will likely miss the playoffs again.

Avs aren't really comparable to them at all.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Think that's a bit of a generalization.

You'd be fine living in most parts of Mexico City, anywhere in Baja California, and some smaller towns like Sayulita. I wouldn't actually want to live there either, but not because of the crime.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I spend a couple of weeks down on the southern tip of Baja California Sur around San Jose del Cabo each winter. There's a lot of time shares in the area and I guess the local governments pays off the cartels to stay away from the area in general and it works.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Think that's a bit of a generalization.

You'd be fine living in most parts of Mexico City, anywhere in Baja California, and some smaller towns like Sayulita. I wouldn't actually want to live there either, but not because of the crime.

oh.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I spend a couple of weeks down on the southern tip of Baja California Sur around San Jose del Cabo each winter. There's a lot of time shares in the area and I guess the local governments pays off the cartels to stay away from the area in general and it works.

The Yucatan has no serious cartel presence. The cops are the most annoying thing, and only in larger cities.

The ATM I used most often was right next to a police station in a smaller town. I talked to the police just to bullshit a few times right after walking out of the ATM. The first time I was like, I will shoot all five of these f***ers with their own guns if they mess with me. However they were very chill and asked me about my time in the Army, talked guns, etc. I also talked to the Emergency services as well since the ambulance was right there.

I had a blast, but I have done shit like that in Iraq markets with and without backup. I've found in life, even in the US, or abroad in some of the worst looking places people are very nice if you are friendly and respectful.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think we can all agree that Haiti is the least crime filled and safest country on earth. That’s the place to live.

• Haha
Reactions: lionsDen

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
Well I slept like a baby and got my 8 hours in. With 3 little kids and a pregnant wife, I made the mercy choice of getting some rest.

Woke up to see if we even scored a single consolation goal and had to rub my eyes in disbelief when I saw Colorado highlighted in yellow as the winner.

Unreal. Kudos to you guys who powered through.

Well, well, well...

• Haha
Reactions: RoyIsALegend

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Well, well, well...

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fcde2d05d-7fac-43b2-baf1-b84b935d3cfd_446x236.gif

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I like the idea of tropical climates, the aesthetic, and I love scuba diving, but I can't handle the humidity for extended periods of time. Nothing gets dry and I'm constantly sweaty. More room for you guys down there :laugh:
No kidding. I spent 4 days in Merida this past January and it was miserably hot for January. Like 3 showers a day weather. Everyone there saying oh this 93 degree weather with humidity ain't that bad, geez. So basically Merida IS hell in summer but just a suburb of it in winter. No thanks, plenty of other spots in Mexico with temperate weather year round. And the Riviera Maya, forget about it. I guess if you speak no Spanish and couldn't care less about Mexico other than it has cheaper food, liquor and meds then that's the place for you.

On a good note, the Mexico City Airbnb I stayed in had SkyTV. Every night it had a hockey game on, including an Avs game one night. Kinda cool, watch random teams in their local RSN broadcasts. They also had NHL Network with some games on too. And I was kinda of shocked to see a lot of bars showing random hockey games too. I have been going to Mexico for over 20 years and rarely saw games on except for at a few expat sports bars in beach towns. The sport has come a long way in Mexico.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The Yucatan has no serious cartel presence. The cops are the most annoying thing, and only in larger cities.

The ATM I used most often was right next to a police station in a smaller town. I talked to the police just to bullshit a few times right after walking out of the ATM. The first time I was like, I will shoot all five of these f***ers with their own guns if they mess with me. However they were very chill and asked me about my time in the Army, talked guns, etc. I also talked to the Emergency services as well since the ambulance was right there.

I had a blast, but I have done shit like that in Iraq markets with and without backup. I've found in life, even in the US, or abroad in some of the worst looking places people are very nice if you are friendly and respectful.
No doubt. Being in the Navy and then traveling the world as well after, I've always come home thankful to be an American, but also realize that there are just awesome places and people all over the world. The only place sailors weren't welcome was Newport Naval Base. Folks had signs in their yards that read, "Sailors and Dogs Keep Off the Lawn".

f***ing submariners. We probably deserved it too.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
No doubt. Being in the Navy and then traveling the world as well after, I've always come home thankful to be an American, but also realize that there are just awesome places and people all over the world. The only place sailors weren't welcome was Newport Naval Base. Folks had signs in their yards that read, "Sailors and Dogs Keep Off the Lawn".

f***ing submariners. We probably deserved it too.
Freaking Virginia, it was a culture shock when I moved there. No one is in a hurry to do shit. Well atleast where I was staying

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I don't see that at all. Perhaps it is a Western Conference thing, but Leafs fans don't bother me.
I'm from Buffalo (originally). They take over the arena when the Sabres play them. They obviously love their team but they are so obnoxious about it that it is savory when the Sabres beat them.

And when they crash in the playoffs.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca

'Let's be real'? :huh:

If you want to be real, this is a pretty sheltered perspective. As a Canadian that has been lucky enough to travel many places (including a large amount of 'dangerous' places in Latin America) I can tell you that I feel most unsafe in the United States. And this is coming from someone who has been robbed while living in Mexico

You can safely live with relative ease in about 80% of the massive country of Mexico. There are some places to avoid, notably the North, but the general rule in any country is that the countryside is a very safe and peaceful place and you need to be more careful in cities/higher population areas.

Inequality = desperation, and tourism fuels the problems in these countries whether it's by putting money into drug cartels pockets directly or staying at high-end fancy locations.

The main difference in the U.S. is that everyone has easy access to a gun, and that hatred/confrontation/violence/distrust of your neighbour is built into the culture. Mexico has a bit of a 'bandito' culture about it but in general no one is looking to physically harm you, but yes robbery is probably more prevalent because of inequality.

No matter where you live, you're only as safe as your neighbour feels. The way I see it, you can choose to live in places like Mexico where the government is openly corrupt and the cartel has major influence over parts, but you have a lot less regulations and more personal freedoms in many aspects, or you can live in a place like Canada/the US/Europe where the government is just as corrupt but more secretive, it's run by a white-collar cartel, and there are a lot of rules/restrictions/red tape around how you live in the name of your own 'safety'. I prefer a little more autonomy myself.

If we're being real, if you limit your activities at night and have a dog for security you can probably live in relative safety anywhere in Mexico.

This post reminds me of the first time I was about to enter Mexico in my van, and some people in Texas were incredulous that I was about to travel through Mexico. "Are you crazy? Aren't you scared? It's so dangerous!". That's when I asked if they'd ever been to Mexico, and they replied with a resounding 'No'. These were people living 30 mins away. This is a common sentiment in both Canada and the U.S, it's amazing how powerful propaganda is. Oh, also Mexico is mostly mountainous and there are quite cold parts of it, I live in one of those. It's not all beach and warm weather, but it is one of the most biodiverse and unique landscapes I've ever seen.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad