GDT: COL @ VAN: Grudge Match (10:30p ET)

Stallone or DeNiro?

• Stallone

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • DeNiro

Votes: 44 62.0%

• Total voters

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
How the F are we the happiest every year 😂
You know when I was in high school and they always handed out those surveys about drug use and shit. As a member of GenX, I always felt it was my duty to lie on those things to try and screw up the results as much as possible.

I have a sneaking suspicion you Finns are just playing a fast one on us.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Checking in on an old GDT and it’s nothing but talk about mexico

IMG_4130.gif

• Love
Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
'Let's be real'? :huh:

If you want to be real, this is a pretty sheltered perspective. As a Canadian that has been lucky enough to travel many places (including a large amount of 'dangerous' places in Latin America) I can tell you that I feel most unsafe in the United States. And this is coming from someone who has been robbed while living in Mexico

You can safely live with relative ease in about 80% of the massive country of Mexico. There are some places to avoid, notably the North, but the general rule in any country is that the countryside is a very safe and peaceful place and you need to be more careful in cities/higher population areas.

Inequality = desperation, and tourism fuels the problems in these countries whether it's by putting money into drug cartels pockets directly or staying at high-end fancy locations.

The main difference in the U.S. is that everyone has easy access to a gun, and that hatred/confrontation/violence/distrust of your neighbour is built into the culture. Mexico has a bit of a 'bandito' culture about it but in general no one is looking to physically harm you, but yes robbery is probably more prevalent because of inequality.

No matter where you live, you're only as safe as your neighbour feels. The way I see it, you can choose to live in places like Mexico where the government is openly corrupt and the cartel has major influence over parts, but you have a lot less regulations and more personal freedoms in many aspects, or you can live in a place like Canada/the US/Europe where the government is just as corrupt but more secretive, it's run by a white-collar cartel, and there are a lot of rules/restrictions/red tape around how you live in the name of your own 'safety'. I prefer a little more autonomy myself.

If we're being real, if you limit your activities at night and have a dog for security you can probably live in relative safety anywhere in Mexico.

This post reminds me of the first time I was about to enter Mexico in my van, and some people in Texas were incredulous that I was about to travel through Mexico. "Are you crazy? Aren't you scared? It's so dangerous!". That's when I asked if they'd ever been to Mexico, and they replied with a resounding 'No'. These were people living 30 mins away. This is a common sentiment in both Canada and the U.S, it's amazing how powerful propaganda is. Oh, also Mexico is mostly mountainous and there are quite cold parts of it, I live in one of those. It's not all beach and warm weather, but it is one of the most biodiverse and unique landscapes I've ever seen.

I had thought this would be the case, and my trip only reinforced how much I love it. In certain ways you feel more free in Mexico than the US. Especially if you're financially stable, learn the language, and have half a brain.

Reactions: Freaky Styley

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4