GDT: COL @ PIT | Oct-16-2019 | 5 PM MDT

ikyan

Apr 29, 2014
Kingston
Z rides pine, an injured Penguins team throws a million hits.

This is not coincidence. If you don't have Z in the lineup, there's no scare factor.

Pens fan doing a little lurking on both boards. Did just want to point out Pens went into today's game leading the league in hits/game. They also led the league last year if I recall right. A million hits was to be expected.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Pens fan doing a little lurking on both boards. Did just want to point out Pens went into today's game leading the league in hits/game. They also led the league last year if I recall right. A million hits was to be expected.

I get it, but big Z answering the bell and laying out players puts less pressure on a smaller, younger Avs core to match.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I just want them to play a good game next. Win or lose I want good puck possession, more shots than the other team, more hits and the team fully involved for 60 minutes.

Show us that you are a contender, I've yet to see it.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
That was one of the worst games of Landeskog's career even before he scored on his own net to lose the game. Complete no show by the captain, which is odd. Hopefully he's not hurt.

Reactions: chet1926

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
That was one of the worst games of Landeskog's career even before he scored on his own net to lose the game. Complete no show by the captain, which is odd. Hopefully he's not hurt.
I've seen him play some disengaged games before, but he was complete ass tonight. He better get going quick because personally I think he has started the season poorly in general. Doesn't seem very lively to me, kinda floating around too much. Get your ass to the front of the net, park it there, and do what you do best deflect pucks and cause havoc. Then get physical game going, hit someone, piss some people off. That's his game. He's not doing that at all right now.

He was easily the worst player tonight, which is truly bad because MacK played on one leg and was significantly more useful.

But honestly the whole first line needs to bring it up a notch. They are better than what they are showing right now.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

kchan9

Oct 7, 2010
Avs being too cute and over confident is a rinse and repeat over the past few years. They're at the best when they're doubted and or have their backs against the wall. If you wanna be looked at as contenders, they better play with more energy and killer instinct (which this team lacks big time).

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany

I don't know if the stats are 100% accurate but close if not, wish we would stop scoring on ourselves

Not a chance. You can't contain Colorado's offense, no matter the zone they're in.

Speaking about the game in general I was okay with it considering the lineup. A meh game had to happen at some point and we still stole a point in Pittsburgh.
Can we replace Wilson with Kamenev and Barberio with Z now, please? Although Barberio has become quite good.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
Pittsburgh would have watched the tapes on the last game vs Washington and knew all they had to do was throw the body around. Bone-headed move to not see it coming and keep Zadorov out.

Rants looks pissed in the post game interview. Like he lost a playoff game.

MacBradley

May 5, 2014
Why was Z out? Didn't he just score a goal last game? I'm not sure why Barberio would be in over him.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
With how dangerous the Pens power play seemed, Zads taking penalties might have played a part in him being benched.

Reactions: MacBradley

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Maybe Z was scratched because there's a pending trade... like Jost + Zadorov for Hall or something. With Cole back already and NJ starting the season poorly the timeline for both teams to consider a move like that has been moved up a bit

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
Wishing a player's recovery wasn't two months ahead of schedule isn't the same thing as wishing an injury on a player, right?

So I can't get in trouble for saying I wish Cole was still rehabbing right now instead of playing?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Landy didn't have a good game, and definitely had some tough moments, but that OT goal was a bit of bad luck too.

The puck rebounded off Grubauer's pads and right off Landy's blade. Then when he went to backhand it out, the puck was spinning and hoping (like it was all night) and he got handcuffed by the post, and actually caught a piece of the post with his blade before hitting the puck. That's why he ended up taking more of a horizontal swipe at the puck, instead of straight back.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Disappointing.
First game I've been able to watch, and they play like that.
They beat themselves the whole game, and capped it off with an own-net-OT-GWG (or GLG...)

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Losing in OT, through an "own-goal" while on PP...Yikes, that hurts.

On the other hand: It was a bad performance after all. So 1 point is better than nothing.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
If we can't play Zadorov on defence, can we get rid of Jost and play him up front instead? You'd still get pointless penalties and no offensive effectiveness, but you'd get a hit and a smile every now and then, so it would still be a net positive.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
And yet when Zadorov was playing against the Capitals, the Caps had zero problems playing edgy hockey as soon as they fell down 4-0. Ovechkin was so scared he didn't run over Girard behind the net...wait.

Zadorov's cult-like following is weird. So many very possibly unrelated events -- such as how the opposition supposedly anecdotally plays when he is or isn't in the lineup -- are all attributed to him. I think playing Barberio was a stupid decision, mainly because he's incompetent, and I don't like the Cole-love at all, but Z isn't what some of ya'll make him out to be. I get that he's a huge loveable Russian tank who smashes opponents, but there's so much more to hockey than that. I'd rather they keep Z over Cole (because I really do think it comes down to one or the other, they fill similiar roles), but he's a decent player with a decent impact. Nothing more.
I wouldn’t go as far as to say any of the events last night would have been different if Zadorov was in the lineup, because you just can’t speculate like that. For all we know Hornqvist probably throws that hit, and Z jumps him and gets a 2-5-10 and Pens score on the power play. Game is over in the 1st.

TMV did say he was talking to the opposing teams scratches against Arizona and they mentioned having to always be aware of Z.

It is not that he is some Robocop out there who ensures justice, and destroys all wrong doers. If the Avs have 6 defencemen better than him, great. Sit him, trade him, waive him, whatever. But they don’t. Barberio, Graves, and Cole to a lesser extent are not good, and commit the same constant icings and penalties. There is just no reason to have all 3 in the lineup.

All that said, Bednar knows way more than anyone here. Until this scratching or Barberio love fest becomes a trend, I’ll believe this will pay off in the long run.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Good thing Cole was playing then.

I don't know if it was a mistake or not to scratch Zadorov, but it certainly does seem like the standards that apply to him do not necessarily apply to some of the other players in the lineup. I am talking about bad penalties, ill-advised decision making and turnovers. Zadorov is not alone in that regard.

It is unusual for most NHL coaches to change lineups when you are on a winning streak. Bednar has followed this same philosophy as well. I think there are some issues behind the scenes at this point, that would almost have to be the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad