GDT: COL @ PIT | Oct-16-2019 | 5 PM MDT

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Disappointing end but we played like garbage most of the game. To be honest we haven't played a full 60 in any game yet, and we still have points in every game and are undefeated in regulation. I'll take it, but the Avs need to improve if we wish to keep winning.

1-0-1 on a road trip in Washington and Pittsburgh is pretty f***ing good. I just hope we start playing to our potential.

Reactions: MacBradley

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
His play in the 2nd resulting in 2 goals and the Caps getting back into the game. The first goal was a giveaway and ill advised play by Rantanen, but Z made a bad read. He took off for a breakout on a lane that was covered and left a guy behind him. More on Rants, but Z should have played back and reset instead of breaking out. On Oshie's goal Z kept man pressure instead of controlling his zone and passing off Kuznetsov which allowed Oshie to be wide open. He made a couple bad reads that changed the momentum of the game. Not that I agree with Z being benched over Barbie... but many coaches would pull their hair out after those plays. Simple and safe hockey is what coaches want up 4-0 and 4-1.

Didn't read the whole thread but I basically came here to find out why on earth Zadorov and Nuke were out instead of the more deserving Barberio/Graves and Wilson.

I 'd say that play you're referring to was 100% on Rantanen. If Z is making himself available for a pass getting out of the zone, all Rantanen has to do is flick a backhand pass behind himself off the boards and it AT LEAST gets out of the zone. Passes towards the middle of the ice coming off the boards 5 feet away from your own blueline are treacherous and Rantanen has to know better. I don't think Z can be held accountable for a terrible error in judgement from his teammate, especially one as skilled as that guy. As for the 2nd goal, I have no comment but Z did score a nice goal of his own and the guy probably just wants to show that he has more than one facet to his game and put up some points, so he can get paid.

Bednar can be a good coach but he often self-sabotages with ridiculous decisions rewarding certain players that don't deserve it and punishing others that don't deserve it as well. Colin Wilson has been atrocious in all aspects of the game since he returned to the lineup but that guy can do no wrong. Ryan Graves has had his moments but there are at least 2-3 plays per game where he shows why he was in the AHL all those years. It's weird.

I hope he really liked the body language of that team last night without 2 guys in the lineup that clearly didn't deserve to come out. That's a well deserved loss on him, imo.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
If the Avs are going to be hoisting the Stanley Cup anytime in the near future, adversity and failure will be an absolutely necessary part of that journey. Both in the regular season and even in the playoffs. This isn't a particularly provocative or controversial statement-- it's about as obvious as stating the sky is blue. But it seems like on the internet at least, fans largely react to the latest thing that happens as if it happened in a vacuum, which could make some sense if this was the very first time they've ever decided to follow a sports team through a season of sports.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Zadorov has better raw skills than Cole, but unlike Cole, he doesn't follow the system in place and tends to freelance. Best way to get on the coach's bad side. They'll rather have someone worse who they know will follow their instructions than the guy who causes "chaos" by leaving assignments.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Unfortunate way to lose, but the Avs didnt play great hockey all night.

Too careless with the puck and we were making it far too easy for the Penguins to skate with speed through the neutral zone and enter the offensive zone relatively effortlessly.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I wouldn't be very upset if they lost the game in OT where they didnt have a PP, played pretty good 3 on 3 it just didn't go their way, but it reminded me of last year's OT where they made bone head mistakes.

Reactions: Monsters

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Didn't read the whole thread but I basically came here to find out why on earth Zadorov and Nuke were out instead of the more deserving Barberio/Graves and Wilson.

I 'd say that play you're referring to was 100% on Rantanen. If Z is making himself available for a pass getting out of the zone, all Rantanen has to do is flick a backhand pass behind himself off the boards and it AT LEAST gets out of the zone. Passes towards the middle of the ice coming off the boards 5 feet away from your own blueline are treacherous and Rantanen has to know better. I don't think Z can be held accountable for a terrible error in judgement from his teammate, especially one as skilled as that guy. As for the 2nd goal, I have no comment but Z did score a nice goal of his own and the guy probably just wants to show that he has more than one facet to his game and put up some points, so he can get paid.

Bednar can be a good coach but he often self-sabotages with ridiculous decisions rewarding certain players that don't deserve it and punishing others that don't deserve it as well. Colin Wilson has been atrocious in all aspects of the game since he returned to the lineup but that guy can do no wrong. Ryan Graves has had his moments but there are at least 2-3 plays per game where he shows why he was in the AHL all those years. It's weird.

I hope he really liked the body language of that team last night without 2 guys in the lineup that clearly didn't deserve to come out. That's a well deserved loss on him, imo.
Zadorov has better raw skills than Cole, but unlike Cole, he doesn't follow the system in place and tends to freelance. Best way to get on the coach's bad side. They'll rather have someone worse who they know will follow their instructions than the guy who causes "chaos" by leaving assignments.

Ivan nails it with Z here... I wouldn't have taken Z out over those plays, but he didn't follow what he is supposed to do on both plays. Both were poor reads and didn't fit in the system and both lead to goals. Rants is more at fault for that 1st goal, but he didn't have good options to go with the puck. It is Z's job there to be a safe option for Rants. Now Barbie is terrible and I won't defend him in the game over Z, but Bednar was sending Z a message. Typically Z has responded well and it is a long season. Getting Z right long-term means more than one game.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

I recall early season (think it was last year) when JB didn't play some top player (can't recall who) against the Preds and the Avs were doing well at the time. I was like, WTF? Why? It seems JB sometimes makes roster decisions that are head scratchers because obviously the line-up would have been, IMO and others too, better with Zadorov in it. So why take him out of the roster?

It's as though JB wants to put his team in situations where they have to 'rise above.' See what you got in terms of how the other players respond in the face of adversity so to speak. Our best player isn't out there but our back-up can pick up the slack kind of thing. In other words, the coach is getting to know what he's got when the chips are out there. Can the back-ups step up? Barberio was okay but the simple fact was that Zadorov's presence changes the dynamic of the game. In some ways, I was thinking yesterday, Hench says Zadorov is a #4-5 D-man at best and some Avs posters give him way too much credit. That's one way of looking at it. However, Zadorov is one of my fav players and I think his presence changes the Avs' game. Maybe it's best for the Avs to scratch Zadorov for some of the more difficult, heavy, physical games and see how well they do in his absence. Because that would really be revealing to the management and the fan base just how valuable he truly is, especially since our fan base tends to overvalue him (rightly so) and give us a sense whether he should be considered trade bait down the road.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
If the Avs are going to be hoisting the Stanley Cup anytime in the near future, adversity and failure will be an absolutely necessary part of that journey. Both in the regular season and even in the playoffs. This isn't a particularly provocative or controversial statement-- it's about as obvious as stating the sky is blue. But it seems like on the internet at least, fans largely react to the latest thing that happens as if it happened in a vacuum, which could make some sense if this was the very first time they've ever decided to follow a sports team through a season of sports.
The loss is bearable, Giving up a shorty in OT is not.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
All this supposed depth on D and we roll out Barberio, Graves and Cole at the same time.

Give me back Zads, bring up Timmins or Rosen.

Girard-Makar
Zad-EJ
Cole-Timmins/Rosen

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The team didn't play well until the third. Need more a full 60 minutes.

Landy probably had his worst game last night. At least on the OT goal he was at the right place...just bad luck.

Oh well they came back to get a point at least. That's a good sign. On to the next one with a good rebound I hope.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Everybody whinging that Landy and Rants were out there on the PP in OT. Yet if Bednar had sent the second unit out there, everyone would be bitching about that. This forum just has to bitch no matter what.

They have earned 11 of 12 points, against last years SCF runner up, the penultimate SC winner, last years #1 seed in the west, and a perennial contender (plus minny and arizona). Maybe they have not looked perfect, and maybe they haven't put together a full 60 minute effort that is good enough for some. But they have yet to go pointless in a game. They have come back to win, they have tied it late, they have weathered a comeback attempt. They have won all but once.

Seems like some (many?) of you would not be happy unless they posted 98 shutouts scoring 600 total goals. Sorry, but the other teams have good players too. We just played against the best player of the cap era (and still top 3 in the world as much as I hate him). Game before that, we played against the best goal scorer of this century...top 3 all time.

Rant over.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Everybody whinging that Landy and Rants were out there on the PP in OT. Yet if Bednar had sent the second unit out there, everyone would be *****ing about that. This forum just has to ***** no matter what.

They have earned 11 of 12 points, against last years SCF runner up, the penultimate SC winner, last years #1 seed in the west, and a perennial contender (plus minny and arizona). Maybe they have not looked perfect, and maybe they haven't put together a full 60 minute effort that is good enough for some. But they have yet to go pointless in a game. They have come back to win, they have tied it late, they have weathered a comeback attempt. They have won all but once.

Seems like some (many?) of you would not be happy unless they posted 98 shutouts scoring 600 total goals. Sorry, but the other teams have good players too. We just played against the best player of the cap era (and still top 3 in the world as much as I hate him). Game before that, we played against the best goal scorer of this century...top 3 all time.

Rant over.

Expectations...

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
EJ Cole Graves should give some size and toughness on the back end. But they just get run at constantly.

No one of the forwards is physically intimidating.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Everybody whinging that Landy and Rants were out there on the PP in OT. Yet if Bednar had sent the second unit out there, everyone would be *****ing about that. This forum just has to ***** no matter what.

Rant over.
I'm just disappointed its gonna be a 81-0-1 record instead of 82-0

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
Couldn't post last night, and only saw from the last half of the 3rd, but damn what a ball buster. Bednar been making some weird coaching decisions, like keeping Macks line out there the entire f***ing OT, you could tell they were gassed. Trust the f***ing team, and stupid shit like that doesn't happen.

If there is an upside, we know we can play so much better and we're still 5-0-1, and Mack doesn't like to get going until game 10 anyway.

But I think Bednar is scared that we didn't fix our depth and doesn't trust them, but we gotta do that.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Couldn't post last night, and only saw from the last half of the 3rd, but damn what a ball buster. Bednar been making some weird coaching decisions, like keeping Macks line out there the entire ****ing OT, you could tell they were gassed. Trust the ****ing team, and stupid **** like that doesn't happen.

If there is an upside, we know we can play so much better and we're still 5-0-1, and Mack doesn't like to get going until game 10 anyway.

But I think Bednar is scared that we didn't fix our depth and doesn't trust them, but we gotta do that.

We actually had 10 different players with shifts in OT:

Mack
Landy
Rantanen
Donskoi
Kadri
Burakovsky
Compher

Makar
Johnson
Girard

ShiftChart - Hockey Shift Data Visualization

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

Rant over.

What are you doing right there, if not *****ing?

Reactions: AvsWraith

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad