GDT: COL @ PIT | Oct-16-2019 | 5 PM MDT

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Finally saw the replay of the GWG. Yikes, that was horrid.

Anyway, I still say it's a good thing that this team has the record it has despite not playing anywhere near as good as their talent suggests. They haven't been horrid by any means, but there's a whole lot of room for improvement.

Reactions: Babel Salamander

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Finally saw the replay of the GWG. Yikes, that was horrid.

Anyway, I still say it's a good thing that this team has the record it has despite not playing anywhere near as good as their talent suggests. They haven't been horrid by any means, but there's a whole lot of room for improvement.

If they were playing fantastic hockey right now, I'd be worried. They're always looking to improve so some hiccups are expected.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Woke up to pee in the middle of the night and noticed there was 2 mins left of regulation, so I watched. I shouldn't have. The PP in OT was depressingly bad.

I didn't know they were gonna give up a shorty, but I had a feeling that power play was going to look like crap.

My guess all of last year as to why their 3 on 3 sucked, was because Bednar spent so much time drilling his 5 on 5 system to make it second nature, that he didn't have time to practice the 3 on 3 much. Now their 3 on 3 looks pretty damn good, so I'm guessing they haven't spent any time practicing the rare 4 on 3 PP. Teams don't practice it much as it is.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Why is Makar not the one to carry the puck into the zone when Mack was clearly hurt and didn't have his typical speed..

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
4 on 3 is completely different than 5 on 4 yet we did the same thing... Needed an elite shot instead of elite passing in this situation.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I will say this--I'm not really concerned about the overall play of the team. I'm also not concerned about the play of the top line.

I am, however, concerned about the play of Erik Johnson. I am not sure why Bednar insists on pairing him and Girard when that duo was a complete disaster last season. EJ was terrible and Sammy got way burned out and beat up. I think EJ should, at the very least, be on the 2nd pairing, not the first one. He can't handle that workload any longer. I would've thought Bednar knew that after the playoffs.

That said, he's also still not using EJ enough in the one area he should be using him, and that's in OT.

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017
I don’t understand why some coaches like to change things when everything is flowing smoothly...Roy did the same thing...always replace decent players with incompetent ones and praise the they hell out of them when in reality they suck a##!

Vice versa when things are going badly they freaking stick with the same line up for months...

Don’t take Z out of the line up unless he’s injure! especially when he looks like he’s playing with confident. Z is our current Adam Foote, without him this team get push around too much. I don’t care what anyone says Z really is an important part of this team!

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I will say this--I'm not really concerned about the overall play of the team. I'm also not concerned about the play of the top line.

I am, however, concerned about the play of Erik Johnson. I am not sure why Bednar insists on pairing him and Girard when that duo was a complete disaster last season. EJ was terrible and Sammy got way burned out and beat up. I think EJ should, at the very least, be on the 2nd pairing, not the first one. He can't handle that workload any longer. I would've thought Bednar knew that after the playoffs.

That said, he's also still not using EJ enough in the one area he should be using him, and that's in OT.

EJ was amazing every game except the last game.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
I don't understand this logic, we have a record of 5-01, if we were playing fantastic... I would be even less worried.

I'm not sure why a macro perspective is so difficult for some sports fans to grasp. When was the last time a team played consistently fantastic for 82 games? Just look at the season story with any Stanley Cup Champion. Last season's champion would be a good one to start with.

To dial down specifically, why it is a good thing for a team to face adversity and have room to grow in the regular season, look at the 16-0 New England Patriots. They dominated pretty much every team in the regular season, and when they finally had to deal with some real adversity, it was in the Super Bowl. You don't think it might have benefited them to face tougher some tests and maybe fail earlier in the season? Last season's Tampa Bay Lightning provide an NHL equivalent of that story.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
I'm not sure why a macro perspective is so difficult for some sports fans to grasp. When was the last time a team played consistently fantastic for 82 games? Just look at the season story with any Stanley Cup Champion. Last season's champion would be a good one to start with.

To dial down specifically, why it is a good thing for a team to face adversity and have room to grow in the regular season, look at the 16-0 New England Patriots. They dominated pretty much every team in the regular season, and when they finally had to deal with some real adversity, it was in the Super Bowl. You don't think it might have benefited them to face tougher some tests and maybe fail earlier in the season? Last season's Tampa Bay Lightning provide an NHL equivalent of that story.

Because the macro perspective:

"Win or lose, playing well is an excellent predictor of future success."

Is far more logical than:

"I think that playing like shit will somehow psycologically benefit the team. Here are a few examples of upsets to back up my point."

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Everybody whinging that Landy and Rants were out there on the PP in OT. Yet if Bednar had sent the second unit out there, everyone would be *****ing about that. This forum just has to ***** no matter what.

They have earned 11 of 12 points, against last years SCF runner up, the penultimate SC winner, last years #1 seed in the west, and a perennial contender (plus minny and arizona). Maybe they have not looked perfect, and maybe they haven't put together a full 60 minute effort that is good enough for some. But they have yet to go pointless in a game. They have come back to win, they have tied it late, they have weathered a comeback attempt. They have won all but once.

Seems like some (many?) of you would not be happy unless they posted 98 shutouts scoring 600 total goals. Sorry, but the other teams have good players too. We just played against the best player of the cap era (and still top 3 in the world as much as I hate him). Game before that, we played against the best goal scorer of this century...top 3 all time.

Rant over.

You new here? It's like that every game, and has been that way since the beginning of time. We react on a game by game basis, just like every other fan base on these boards.

We lost while on the powerplay (4 on 3) by putting the puck in our own net. Who wouldn't ******* ***** about that? You know how dumb that is, especially for a team that was infact 5-0? They had three guys and it looked like they were on the powerplay. We have every right to be upset because that is an awfully stupid way to lose.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Adversity is not what we're facing when we play poorly and have a good record. Adversity would be if we were playing well and had a poor record.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
Please, everyone, just calm down and hold all of your opinions until the end of the season.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Everybody whinging that Landy and Rants were out there on the PP in OT. Yet if Bednar had sent the second unit out there, everyone would be *****ing about that. This forum just has to ***** no matter what.

They have earned 11 of 12 points, against last years SCF runner up, the penultimate SC winner, last years #1 seed in the west, and a perennial contender (plus minny and arizona). Maybe they have not looked perfect, and maybe they haven't put together a full 60 minute effort that is good enough for some. But they have yet to go pointless in a game. They have come back to win, they have tied it late, they have weathered a comeback attempt. They have won all but once.

Seems like some (many?) of you would not be happy unless they posted 98 shutouts scoring 600 total goals. Sorry, but the other teams have good players too. We just played against the best player of the cap era (and still top 3 in the world as much as I hate him). Game before that, we played against the best goal scorer of this century...top 3 all time.

Rant over.

Agree with all of this, but honestly, how can anyone hate Crosby? I will never understand the hate towards him. He is a generational talent, an unbelievable leader and an absolute class-act off the ice. Sure, he bitches about calls (more-so back in the day) but what player doesn't? He also takes more BS on the ice than anyone.

He has had some cheap shots in his day which I admittedly don't like.

Reactions: McMetal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad