Proposal: COL/MTL: S. Girard for B. Gallagher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
Mtl fan here. I love Gallagher and getting 50 points in today NHL without (or not that much) PP icetime is pretty good. But i'd be curious to have Mtl fan opinion if Gallagher was asking for 7x7 or more for his next contract. I'm all for saying thank you man, time to move on if you can get something decent.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
it's a good offer.. I think it's pretty fair. Girard is a very good defenseman who's far from reaching his prime... but I just don't see us trading Gallagher even with an overpayment. it would need to be a huuuuuge overpayment to even think about it.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
Mtl fan here. I love Gallagher and getting 50 points in today NHL without (or not that much) PP icetime is pretty good. But i'd be curious to have Mtl fan opinion if Gallagher was asking for 7x7 or more for his next contract. I'm all for saying thank you man, time to move on if you can get something decent.

I think Gallagher deserves the 7 millions without hesitation... the 7 years might be hard... his style of play will probably make him a lot less effective when he'll be 32-33... maybe a tad more money for 5 years instead?

people look at the stats and say Gallagher is only a 50 points player but he's so much more than that.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
On the one side, at least it's not Drouin for Girard, so the Avs get a really useful player for another really useful player.

I believe the problem lies in thar Girard has 5, or 6 years left at a really good cap hit and Gallagher has 1.

Montreal could use a dman like Girard, but I don't think this gets it done.

In reality Montreal needs to add a player like a Girard for picks and prospects, while keep their good roster players and Colorado needs roster players.

The other 2 pieces aren't required.

In short, Colorado says no and Montreal says no/yes.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Nah. No way should Byram be expected to be top 4 next year on a cup contender. I’ve got faith in him, but that’s way too much pressure. Plus, who’s on the top pair, Graves? That’s classic “guy looks good in a limited role so you throw him in the deep end and drown him.” We’re past that (hopefully).

That aside, contracts. I like Girard’s and don’t like Gallagher’s.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Leave Sammy alone!
Girard is a vital member of our core. Much more than Gallagher ever could. Not to mention the disparity in value in regards to age, contract status and position....

Girard is not for sale and if he were, it certainly wouldn't be for a guy like Gallagher who is a winger that is approaching the 30 mark and wants to get paid after making too little on his last contract.

Don't get me wrong. Gallagher certainly is a very good player but not someone the Avs should even entertain looking at with their capsituation...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
For starters, I can’t see Montreal doing anything but extend Gallagher to a long term contract so that he’s a Hab for life.

As for the offer, Sammy Girard is a top pairing D signed signed to a 7 year/5M aav contract that doesn’t even begin until next season. He played this entire season as a 21 year old leading the entire Avalanche in minutes played per game. There isn’t a chance in hell Colorado are trading that player for a guy who is a UFA next year.

Also, how could you possibly think the only grit Colorado has in their top 6 comes from Landeskog when their 2C is Nazem Kadri lol? Kadri’s an absolute warrior. Colorado aren’t lacking grit.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Gallagher deserves the 7 millions without hesitation... the 7 years might be hard... his style of play will probably make him a lot less effective when he'll be 32-33... maybe a tad more money for 5 years instead?

people look at the stats and say Gallagher is only a 50 points player but he's so much more than that.

Nope. Gallagher should get close to Atkinson. Both are assistant captains and leaders. Production is the same and they would be the same age as UFA's. Gallagher should be around $6M. If he starts at $8M and won't budge or his low is $7M. I would trade him.

6 years at $6.5M with lots of signing bonus money in July. I think he takes that contract if he likes it in Montreal. After Weber retires in 3 years, Gallagher can be our Captain for the next 3. If he gets greedy and wants a max deal. Let the line-up begin in trade talk for Gallagher.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I won't comment the trade in the OP except the fact it doesn't make sense because both players are so far apart in their carreer and contract situations.

What does make sense in my opinion is Gallagher to Colorado. I think Gally is the exact type of player a young contender team like Colorado needs to make it through the end.

What i can see is if Gallagher wants to leave the Habs to a contender, Habs and Avs can work out a deal at next years deadline. Probably with an extension on Gally's contract if it fits both sides.

What Avs would be willing to pay for Gallagaher as a rental?? Timmins + 2021 1st?? Is it in the ball park?? Timmins + Kaut + pick??

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I won't comment the trade in the OP except the fact it doesn't make sense because both players are so far apart in their carreer and contract situations.

What does make sense in my opinion is Gallagher to Colorado. I think Gally is the exact type of player a young contender team like Colorado needs to make it through the end.

What i can see is if Gallagher wants to leave the Habs to a contender, Habs and Avs can work out a deal at next years deadline. Probably with an extension on Gally's contract if it fits both sides.

What Avs would be willing to pay for Gallagaher as a rental?? Timmins + 2021 1st?? Is it in the ball park?? Timmins + Kaut + pick??
Sakic said at this years deadline that he wasn't interested in rentals. If we do look for a top 6 forward it'll be someone who fits the age of our core a little bit better (eg. Domi) and/or someone who won't cost prime assets to acquire (eg. Killorn).

If we move Timmins we'd create a hole at RHD that we'd struggle to fill, so I don't anticipate Sakic being all that keen to trade him. Kaut, Bowers, 1st, Graves, Compher, Zadorov, Jost, Ranta, Beaucage, etc would be the assets on the table.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

If the Avs want to win now... Gallagher (with extension) for Newhook and a late 1st or 2nd makes more sense to both teams. I know the Avs prefer not to trade Newhook and they could easily try to sign Dadonov instead and not give up any assets.

Gallagher to the Avs does make sense but Avs have lots of options they can try in free agency first. Also, Gallagher not going anywhere if he is willing to sign for 6 years at $6.5M

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Agreed. Ghost to Mtl makes a lot of sense for both sides.

Philly has young defenders pushing for increased roles and Montreal could use a little more offensive creativity on the blue line. Could be a nice opportunity for a bounce back season for Ghost too.

It only make sense if the price is really cheap or if similar money (Byron) going the other way.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
If the Avs want to win now... Gallagher (with extension) for Newhook and a late 1st or 2nd makes more sense to both teams. I know the Avs prefer not to trade Newhook and they could easily try to sign Dadonov instead and not give up any assets.

Gallagher to the Avs does make sense but Avs have lots of options they can try in free agency first. Also, Gallagher not going anywhere if he is willing to sign for 6 years at $6.5M

It makes no sense at all because Newhook is our succession plan for Kadri who we probably won't be able to afford on his next contract and who does not really fit the age of our core anyways...

There is no giant need for a player like Gallagher on the Avs. At all. Especially not considering that he will want to get paid on his next contract and the Avs while having some capspace right now really can't afford to spend as much on a player like Gallagher down the road when Makar, Landeskog and MacKinnon are on their next contracts.
We are already spending 9M+ on our #1 W and our captain who is also a winger will probably get more than 7M as well...
There simply is no place for another highly paid winger on this team on the type of longterm contract Gallagher will be looking at. Especially when he is older than the rest of our core by quite a bit...

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

I don’t see why we would do that trade if Gallagher is willing to sign a new contract with Montreal. Also, with Kotkaniemi, Suzuki and Poehling being all under 21 years old and Danault barely 27 years old I feel like we would be better off aiming for a young D instead of Newhook - And that is only if Gallagher is not interested in signing a new deal with Montreal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It makes no sense at all because Newhook is our succession plan for Kadri who we probably won't be able to afford on his next contract and who does not really fit the age of our core anyways...

There is no giant need for a player like Gallagher on the Avs. At all. Especially not considering that he will want to get paid on his next contract and the Avs while having some capspace right now really can't afford to spend as much on a player like Gallagher down the road when Makar, Landeskog and MacKinnon are on their next contracts.
We are already spending 9M+ on our #1 W and our captain who is also a winger will probably get more than 7M as well...
There simply is no place for another highly paid winger on this team on the type of longterm contract Gallagher will be looking at. Especially when he is older than the rest of our core by quite a bit...

I doubt Sakic is going to sit on his cap space. Probably not going to spend in on Gallagher cause it takes assets to acquire but he could sign Dadonov, Hall, or Hoffman. He was rumored to be in on Hall. Rental only? I doubt it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t see why we would do that trade if Gallagher is willing to sign a new contract with Montreal. Also, with Kotkaniemi, Suzuki and Poehling being all under 21 years old and Danault barely 27 years old I feel like we would be better off aiming for a young D instead of Newhook - And that is only if Gallagher is not interested in signing a new deal with Montreal

Habs won't trade Gallagher if he is willing to take a deal similar to Atkinson but a bit higher? 6 years at $6.5M with over 50% of the money paid in July is my bet. Takes him to 34 and his next contract can be negotiated without the 35+ issue of retirement. It fits

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Sakic said at this years deadline that he wasn't interested in rentals. If we do look for a top 6 forward it'll be someone who fits the age of our core a little bit better (eg. Domi) and/or someone who won't cost prime assets to acquire (eg. Killorn).

If we move Timmins we'd create a hole at RHD that we'd struggle to fill, so I don't anticipate Sakic being all that keen to trade him. Kaut, Bowers, 1st, Graves, Compher, Zadorov, Jost, Ranta, Beaucage, etc would be the assets on the table.

I think where the Avs are right now, they need to get THE player they need, not a player that fits core age. I'm not saying Gallagher is that player but he certanly has the package many GM's would crave for to put a great young team through the next level.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014

I doubt your fellow Habs fans will like it but that's probably what the Avs have for sale right now without affecting their core and future that much. As much as I would like to keep Timmins and still believe he can be an effective top 4 to replace EJ who somehow looked better than last year I think Habs are making the riskier move here. Avs would get a sure thing in Gallagher and would probably be able to extend him while Habs get Timmins who could very well be a future top2-4 dman. I believe Habs could get more but IMO they will sign him he's loved in MTL and I know alot of Habs fan including my dad who keeps talking about him not getting traded but will keep asking me if the Avs would take Price for Makar (yes he's funny) :laugh:

Reactions: Benstheman

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I doubt Sakic is going to sit on his cap space. Probably not going to spend in on Gallagher cause it takes assets to acquire but he could sign Dadonov, Hall, or Hoffman. He was rumored to be in on Hall. Rental only? I doubt it.

I still think posters on here are underestimating the impact COVID-19 will have on spending (and I am not talking about capspace but real $$).

Kroenke might be one rich SOB but if I know one thing about the guy, it is he doesn't like to lose any money and won't spend for fun...
Not to mention the multi billion $ he has tied up in the Inglewood project which isn't exactly ideal either in times were large gatherings and crowds are prohibited.

I will be shocked if the Avs spend to the cap this offseason. Don't see that at all.
I expect them to re-sign some of their own guys and go into the season with about 5-6M $ of capspace personally to offset the millions they will be losing due to COVID-19 a bit.......

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Realistically, it has to make sense for both teams. I think Gallagher loves Mtl but hockey is a buisness and maybe, just maybe, he would like to sign with a contender for a chance to win the cup before he is 34-35 years old. Maybe he wants to get closer to home. Maybe he too wants to play for team where you can go to the beach after each practice.

If the Habs were a sure thing at contending in the next 2-3 years, i think he would be a lock. But that's really not the case. For me, there is 50% chances he leaves.

Gaud

May 11, 2017

Some RDS commentator speculated Kreider as a comparable for Gallagher's worth, and he got 7 years at 6.5M. I would have a problem at 7 years for Gallagher, but 6.5 to 7M for 5 years sounds fair enough to me.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If Colorado want to overpay for a gritty RW, they can have Hornqvist for the deal offered in the OP, and I'll probably legit cry when Horny leaves the Pens :laugh:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Colorado says no easily and I'm fine with that. This would be the kind of value needed to get Gallagher out of Montreal, so he's probably a lifer which I don't think a single Habs fan will complain about

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Some RDS commentator speculated Kreider as a comparable for Gallagher's worth, and he got 7 years at 6.5M. I would have a problem at 7 years for Gallagher, but 6.5 to 7M for 5 years sounds fair enough to me.

5 or 6 years is the right term. Takes him to 33/34 and he avoids the 35+ on his next contract after that. 6 years at $6.5M with over 50% of the money paid in july is fair to both Gallagher and the team. Our next captain after 3 more years when Weber retires.

Reactions: Mac Attack

FiveWhole

Aug 16, 2004
Wow, for a first proposal thread, it seems like I've struck a nerve here with some folks. :)

I originally contemplated this as a 1:1 trade, but I foresaw a degree of sentimentality from the MTL side, in that the offer had to be a little more appealing to sway them. This trade doesn't happen unless MTL is about to commit to a rebuild, and if so - there's probably a bidding war to get BG.

However - Girard isn't small beans either. He's on a killer contract for the long term. Assuming he progresses as he had in the last two years, this contract is an absolute steal.

The real catalyst for this offer (as I stated before) is around long term cap space. With the $ committed to Mikko R., and the expected $ you can expect to commit to Mac (9m+) and Makar ($8m+?) - there's just not enough slack in the line to build around so much space committed to the D, esp. if the Graves of the world are about to land $4m AAV.

If Byram performs well enough - we'll be back in the Barrie position (aka forced to make a trade) all over again before you know it. There's just not enough space on the D for Makar, Girard, and Byram to co-exist; if you are one of them, you want the PP time to reach your incentives, and there's not enough ice time to go around, IMHO.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but ... I'm open to debate. I just feel we gotta spread the wealth (literally).

Reactions: Lemonlimey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad