Proposal: COL/MTL: S. Girard for B. Gallagher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I still think posters on here are underestimating the impact COVID-19 will have on spending (and I am not talking about capspace but real $$).

Kroenke might be one rich SOB but if I know one thing about the guy, it is he doesn't like to lose any money and won't spend for fun...
Not to mention the multi billion $ he has tied up in the Inglewood project which isn't exactly ideal either in times were large gatherings and crowds are prohibited.

I will be shocked if the Avs spend to the cap this offseason. Don't see that at all.
I expect them to re-sign some of their own guys and go into the season with about 5-6M $ of capspace personally to offset the millions they will be losing due to COVID-19 a bit.......

The Avs shouldn't spend to the cap because of all of the young star players that still will need big extensions in the coming years, not because the owner is cheap. Ownership has never been an issue in Colorado.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Wow, for a first proposal thread, it seems like I've struck a nerve here with some folks. :)

I originally contemplated this as a 1:1 trade, but I foresaw a degree of sentimentality from the MTL side, in that the offer had to be a little more appealing to sway them. This trade doesn't happen unless MTL is about to commit to a rebuild, and if so - there's probably a bidding war to get BG.

However - Girard isn't small beans either. He's on a killer contract for the long term. Assuming he progresses as he had in the last two years, this contract is an absolute steal.

The real catalyst for this offer (as I stated before) is around long term cap space. With the $ committed to Mikko R., and the expected $ you can expect to commit to Mac (9m+) and Makar ($8m+?) - there's just not enough slack in the line to build around so much space committed to the D, esp. if the Graves of the world are about to land $4m AAV.

If Byram performs well enough - we'll be back in the Barrie position (aka forced to make a trade) all over again before you know it. There's just not enough space on the D for Makar, Girard, and Byram to co-exist; if you are one of them, you want the PP time to reach your incentives, and there's not enough ice time to go around, IMHO.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but ... I'm open to debate. I just feel we gotta spread the wealth (literally).

Sentimentality is irrelevant when it comes to trades, no team is going to change their offer because it would make you really sad.

Colorado is in fine shape with their cap space and while they will likely be trading a dmen because they simply have too many, it will likely be Zad, Graves, Cole or Timmins; with possibly multiple over an extended period of time. They aren't moving Girard.

Essentially your evaluation of Colorado is indeed, completely wrong, but no one knows the in's and out's of every team and this thread is a good opportunity to learn more about the topic as there are a good bit of knowledgeable people here (as well as some others lol).

Reactions: FiveWhole

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I doubt Sakic is going to sit on his cap space. Probably not going to spend in on Gallagher cause it takes assets to acquire but he could sign Dadonov, Hall, or Hoffman. He was rumored to be in on Hall. Rental only? I doubt it.

It is possible with the flat cap we could see 1 (or MAYBE 2 year deals) in UFA but outside of that its all internally accounted for in future raises. This goes back to last offseason before the flat cap where the team didn't offer long term deals to anyone outside of Panarin. Its more important to the Avs to keep the current core together and locked in than it is to add a 29 year old.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
5 or 6 years is the right term. Takes him to 33/34 and he avoids the 35+ on his next contract after that. 6 years at $6.5M with over 50% of the money paid in july is fair to both Gallagher and the team. Our next captain after 3 more years when Weber retires.
The 35+ doesn’t seem like it’ll be a problem any longer.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Wow, for a first proposal thread, it seems like I've struck a nerve here with some folks. :)

I originally contemplated this as a 1:1 trade, but I foresaw a degree of sentimentality from the MTL side, in that the offer had to be a little more appealing to sway them. This trade doesn't happen unless MTL is about to commit to a rebuild, and if so - there's probably a bidding war to get BG.

However - Girard isn't small beans either. He's on a killer contract for the long term. Assuming he progresses as he had in the last two years, this contract is an absolute steal.

The real catalyst for this offer (as I stated before) is around long term cap space. With the $ committed to Mikko R., and the expected $ you can expect to commit to Mac (9m+) and Makar ($8m+?) - there's just not enough slack in the line to build around so much space committed to the D, esp. if the Graves of the world are about to land $4m AAV.

If Byram performs well enough - we'll be back in the Barrie position (aka forced to make a trade) all over again before you know it. There's just not enough space on the D for Makar, Girard, and Byram to co-exist; if you are one of them, you want the PP time to reach your incentives, and there's not enough ice time to go around, IMHO.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but ... I'm open to debate. I just feel we gotta spread the wealth (literally).

So you think the reason the Avs should do this deal is because they need cap relief in the coming years, and the solution is to trade the one guy signed to the Longest deal on the team at a ridiculously cheap price and the teams current best Dman....

Right, sound logic. You fit in with that Habs group quite well.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
So you think the reason the Avs should do this deal is because they need cap relief in the coming years, and the solution is to trade the one guy signed to the Longest deal on the team at a ridiculously cheap price and the teams current best Dman....

Right, sound logic. You fit in with that Habs group quite well.
By that logic we should trade Mackinnon as well, and save ourselves a cool $6.3m in capspace.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
How are there Habs fans that say no to this....?

Gallagher is 28 and is a good 2nd line winger and is signed for 1 more year

Girard is 22 and is at worst an elite 2nd pairing DMan is a and is signed for 7 more years

Someone please help me out?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How are there Habs fans that say no to this....?

Gallagher is 28 and is a good 2nd line winger and is signed for 1 more year

Girard is 22 and is at worst an elite 2nd pairing DMan is a and is signed for 7 more years

Someone please help me out?

Girard is a elite 2nd pairing D man? :sarcasm:. Gallagher is older and he does have 1 year left but he is going to be extended if he don't ask for a max inflated deal. Our next captain and heart and soul of our team.

Both teams say no. And the context runs deep for both sides. Habs would think about it more than the Avs for sure. But at the end of the day, this deal won't work and both sides say no.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
This is a horrible trade for the Avs, can't tell if you're an Avs fan or not because Montreal would take that and run - and the last thing they need is another undersized defender.
You don’t have a clue, no way Montreal takes that

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Realistically, it has to make sense for both teams. I think Gallagher loves Mtl but hockey is a buisness and maybe, just maybe, he would like to sign with a contender for a chance to win the cup before he is 34-35 years old. Maybe he wants to get closer to home. Maybe he too wants to play for team where you can go to the beach after each practice.

If the Habs were a sure thing at contending in the next 2-3 years, i think he would be a lock. But that's really not the case. For me, there is 50% chances he leaves.
Yep.

And Colorado should absolutely not touch the core this offseason when A) they are in their cup window B) the best team with cap space they should not be making a fair trade with anyone!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
AVs walks on this offer. It’s not even close.

Not even close? In terms of contract left yes. But in terms of Gallagher with a new contract? It's close and both teams likely say no. Habs think about it more cause we need a LD more than the Avs need Gallagher. But Gallagher is our heart and soul and he won't be traded unless he wants a max deal in both term and AAV

Girard won't pry away Gallagher and we like Girard a lot.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is a horrible trade for the Avs, can't tell if you're an Avs fan or not because Montreal would take that and run - and the last thing they need is another undersized defender.

It's a horrible trade for the Avs and the Habs also don't need a undersized defender is part of your reason to justify it being horrible for the Habs too? Very confusing :sarcasm:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
You cannot just assume a new contract for Gallagher. His value as it stands right now is a player 1 year out from UFA.

and even still, one guy plays a much more premium position and is 6 years younger

Reactions: Patagonia and Meeqs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You cannot just assume a new contract for Gallagher. His value as it stands right now is a player 1 year out from UFA.

and even still, one guy plays a much more premium position and is 6 years younger

Gallagher is not being shopped. And it's obvious that Girard > Gallagher when you look at the contracts. If the Habs trade Gallagher, it's likely going to be similar to the Patch trade where it's sign/trade. Lots of teams would be interested in Gallagher.

This trade idea won't work for many reasons from both sides

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Gallagher is getting seriously underrated in this thread. A 30 goal winger who makes everyone around him better. I'd move some nice pieces to acquire him for the Avs, but I wouldn't move any of Makar/Byram/Girard.

I'd do Timmins + something for sure

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Gallagher is getting seriously underrated in this thread. A 30 goal winger who makes everyone around him better. I'd move some nice pieces to acquire him for the Avs, but I wouldn't move any of Makar/Byram/Girard.

I'd do Timmins + something for sure
Just sounds like Montreal I’ll be a motivated seller. Hit one of them.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Rather keep our player and see what we have in Romanov I would love to have Gallagher as a life long hab hes just a lot of fun to watch and is entertaining. I don't see why we couldn't sign him on a 6 year deal at a cap hit of around 6m to 6.5m a year the contract seems fair for both parties and you throw in either a NMC or a modified one and we are basically set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad