Proposal: COL/MTL: S. Girard for B. Gallagher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveWhole

Aug 16, 2004
Long time lurker, first time poster. :) (be gentle, plz!)

I feel the Avs seem to need a little grit in the top 6 forwards. It feels like ages since the Avs had some truculence in the mold of Deadmarsh, Smyth, Lemieux. The closest thing to sandpaper the Avs have in the top 6 is Landeskog

The Avs have some great cap space, but... might want delve from a position of strength and add some depth/grit in the Top 6. I'd ask for a Nino Niederreiter, but I doubt that Carolina's going to be giving him up any time soon, and they've got no need for any D prospects anytime in the next 5-7 years.

So... looking for comparables, Brendan Gallagher comes to mind as a potential option. Mind you, it's doubtful MTL is looking to trade, but... plz humor me.

With the Avs building up a surplus of young D (Timmons, Byram), a flatter than expected cap, and a number of key contracts up for renewal (MacKinnon, Makar, Landeskog) it's not far fetched to see them back in the same situation that triggered Barrie's trade. Girard is on a great long-term contract right now.

COL (out)
Sam Girard
Alex Beaucage
2021 3rd

for

MTL (out)
B. Gallagher

What say you, folks?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Habs are better off trading picks for Dunn or Leddy or signing Krug. Gallagher is not gonna be traded. Giroux is too costly.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I can't imagine Montreal considering this, even with Gallagher on an expiring contract.

If Montreal really feels the urgency to upgrade their LD (and given their retool, its hard to tell how urgent they feel the need is), there are easier ways to try to do that than to trade Gallagher.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018

I feel the Avs seem to need a little grit in the top 6 forwards. It feels like ages since the Avs had some truculence in the mold of Deadmarsh, Smyth, Lemieux. The closest thing to sandpaper the Avs have in the top 6 is Landeskog

The Avs have some great cap space, but... might want delve from a position of strength and add some depth/grit in the Top 6. I'd ask for a Nino Niederreiter, but I doubt that Carolina's going to be giving him up any time soon, and they've got no need for any D prospects anytime in the next 5-7 years.

So... looking for comparables, Brendan Gallagher comes to mind as a potential option. Mind you, it's doubtful MTL is looking to trade, but... plz humor me.

With the Avs building up a surplus of young D (Timmons, Byram), a flatter than expected cap, and a number of key contracts up for renewal (MacKinnon, Makar, Landeskog) it's not far fetched to see them back in the same situation that triggered Barrie's trade. Girard is on a great long-term contract right now.

COL (out)
Sam Girard
Alex Beaucage
2021 3rd

for

MTL (out)
B. Gallagher

What say you, folks?
No thanks from the Habs

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I am not sure why the Avs would do that : they do not lack offensive talent by any means. On the other hand, not sure the Habs can spare having Gallagher, he is one of the only two guys scoring goals ;)

In terms of value, I guess Girard's contract situation makes him very valuable. He has been outstanding for such a young player there is no denying but his performance is skewed by the fact that he plays on such a great team, not sure he would put the same numbers anywhere else.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Habs are not breaking up the Tatar, Danault and Gallagher line. Julien loves that line.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Colorado wouldn’t be the one adding in a Girard-Gallagher trade.

Gallagher is a good player, but he’s 28-years old with 1 year of team control.

Girard is 22 with 7 years of team control.

The Avs wouldn’t consider this at all.

Edit: Congrats on your first post. Trades proposals are always fun to talk about. :thumbu:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Girard is more valuable than Byram. Proven young #2/3 Dman who dominates in transition, signed for a sweet caphit for 7 years. Colorado aren't trading that even if Gallagher signed an extension.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
That's a hard no from Colorado. They are salivating at the thought of Girard at basically half the cost of a top pairing defender. He may not be top pairing, but he will be up there as a #2/3.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Is Girard really a bonafide top pairing D? Is Petry top pairing? Don’t get mad - just address the query.
I think he is on most teams or if he’s not well he’s trending to be and he’s only 22. Clearly he played like one before the season stopped and trading him for a forward makes us much much worse considering that Graves would be our top pairing dman eating minutes. I don’t get the proposal of people trading their forward for an Avs dman when our strength is our offense and our weakness is on the backend. Well I wouldn’t call our defense a weakness but trading Girard would definitely be one. Graves would certainly be traded before Girard.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Is Girard really a bonafide top pairing D? Is Petry top pairing? Don’t get mad - just address the query.

Like any young player, I don’t think his future is written in stone, but he was a really important player on a very good hockey team this year.

Girard is 22-years old and already a veteran of 225 NHL games. Some Avs fans (not me) think he’s the best defenceman on Colorado. He helped lead a defence to the 3rd lowest goal total in the Western Conference.

I think throughout his career he’ll be somewhere between a mid-caliber top pairing defender and a mid-caliber second pairing defender. He’ll probably fluctuate between those two levels.

Girard is a core player for the Avs.

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

Led the Avs in EV TOI/gm by over a minute. The Avs gave up the third fewest 5v5 goals in the NHL before the season was suspended. I think it's safe to call Girard a "bonafide top pairing D", given that he was on our top pairing and our D was "bonafide".

Petry is definitely on Montreal's top pairing. Maybe he'd be on some other top pairings as a short term bandaid, but he's also a soon to be 33 year old pending UFA, so he doesn't fit into a lot of long term plans.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Absolutely not.

I like Gallagher a lot and he is a good player, but especially when you factor in age, position, and contract.... Girard is just a much more valuable piece.

A 22 year old top pairing Dman signed for 7 years at less than market value today is an incredibly valuable player.

EDIT: Didnt even realize Colorado was adding, that is brutal. Habs fans have to be the worse when it comes to understanding how a contract can impact a players value by an absolute tonne. When you're trading for a guy who is 1 year from Free agency, versus a guy signed for 7 more years that is a major difference in value.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Drouin for Girard makes more sense

Lmao, Drouin for Girard is so truly awful.

Just stop trying to trade Colorado Drouin(And Price for that matter), we dont want him at all.

At least the OP is offering a legitimately decent player here that fills a need for Colorado. Drouin is neither of those things.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

COL (out)
Sam Girard
Alex Beaucage
2021 3rd

for

MTL (out)
B. Gallagher

What say you, folks?
As far as debuts go.... this is not The Cars "The Cars" or Boston "Boston".

Reactions: FiveWhole

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Surprised people are saying Montreal says no here. Girard is a young cost controlled top 4 defenceman with term and upside. Gallagher is an almost 30 year old winger without term. I get that Gallagher is a likeable player and serves an important role on a team but he's also a career 50ish point player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad