TSN: COL/FLA: Brassard + Conditional 2020 6th for 2020 3rd

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Our organization has been interested in Brassard since his draft year. This move came as no surprise to many of us. He checked all the boxes; center, ex-Blue Jacket, longtime target, etc.

We really gave up nothing for him, so I’m fine with the trade. He provides some secondary scoring and is a much better player than Kerfoot/Andrighetto. My issue is it’s yet another tweener who doesn’t provide much jam, nor is it a difference making forward.

I am sure he will come in and get some points, and considering the prices out there, he didn’t cost much. I would have preferred a Zucker or even Chiasson myself, but it is what it is.

I fully expect us to extend him, too. Let’s hope it isn’t for too much money and term.

Speedy player that can play center or wing too. Good fit for Bednar's system, and gives them options to fill team needs.

Can play at a fast pace on wing with MacKinnon, or play center if Jost starts to struggle again.

20 goal potential too. They needed someone with a little finishing ability.

Not a home run deal, but a low price, and could provide what they hoped for in Boedker. A big goal or two in some big games down the stretch.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Not too keen on Brassard on the wing. They tried it in Pittsburgh -- I think even with both Crosby and Malkin? -- and it didn't work at all. Didn't work in the very brief time he was in Florida either. Especially don't think he'd work too well on the wing in Bednar's system, Brassard is a bit more of a passive skilled player IMO. He should be down the centre if they want the best out of him I think...I think close to the lines @forsbergavs32 posted, except swap Kerfoot and Ghetto. Stick Brassard between Landeskog and Compher, see if he can find a place as a playmaker between two wingers who I think might be good fits.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I think Sakic makes this kind of moves just so he doesn't hear people, fans complaining that he didn't do anything.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I could see Sakic viewing Brassard as a bit of a backup plan incase he swings and misses on acquiring a top 6 C this offseason too. Barring that he does well this season.
This is my only concern with the deal.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Please, just don't re-sign him. For the time being, however:

Andrighetto - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Soderberg - Nieto
Jost - Brassard - Compher
Wilson - Kerfoot - Agozzino

Not exactly a fan of Andrighetto on the top line, but I'm happier with him there than I am with Kerfoot. At least with Andrighetto, you hope that he can find some of that magic he had with MacKinnon/Rantanen during the end of the 2016-2017 season.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
After Jordan Caron I have a wait and see approach.
Avs have actually had players burst out on the scene after a trade like Andrighetto, Mueller, and Fleischmann all did. Due to some unfortunate circumstances, all two (well three) faced some terrible injuries to kill our luck long term. I would put Brassard more into them category than the Jordan Caron considering talent. However, Brassard's work ethic is probably the worst out of all the players I mentioned here, lol.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
When the injured guys get back, maybe something like:

Kerf* - MacK - Jimmothy
Landy - Soderberg - Nieto
Jost - Brassard - Rantanen
Calvert - Wilson* - Ghetto*

Mikko's line eats soft-offensive minutes, Sodaskog & LBN take on the shutdown role, and at least MacK gets Jimmothy to work with...

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
When the injured guys get back, maybe something like:

Kerf* - MacK - Jimmothy
Landy - Soderberg - Nieto
Jost - Brassard - Rantanen
Calvert - Wilson* - Ghetto*

Mikko's line eats soft-offensive minutes, Sodaskog & LBN take on the shutdown role, and at least MacK gets Jimmothy to work with...

It just goes to show you, even adding another top 9 forward we still look more shallow than the piss end of the public pool.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I haven't seen Brassard play a ton, but what I have heard he is not the strongest defensively, so I put Landy-Soda vs opponents top line and then Mack's line vs their second line and hope they outscore them. Then Brassard on the third line giving some more scoring. Sounds like the best option to me.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Not too keen on Brassard on the wing. They tried it in Pittsburgh -- I think even with both Crosby and Malkin? -- and it didn't work at all. Didn't work in the very brief time he was in Florida either. Especially don't think he'd work too well on the wing in Bednar's system, Brassard is a bit more of a passive skilled player IMO. He should be down the centre if they want the best out of him I think...I think close to the lines @forsbergavs32 posted, except swap Kerfoot and Ghetto. Stick Brassard between Landeskog and Compher, see if he can find a place as a playmaker between two wingers who I think might be good fits.
I neither like it. Makes sense to let him play wing in his debut when he hasn't had a chance to practice with the team, though.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
It just goes to show you, even adding another top 9 forward we still look more shallow than the piss end of the public pool.

Exactly, no good team would have Nieto in their top-9, most likely not even in their team. Ghetto should be playing in a different league. He doesn't have a purpose in the 4th line. Wilson and Calvert are fine role players for the 4th line(or sometimes on 3rd line MAX!), but even then both are overpaid, esp. Wilson. Jost is so so.. He should be playing 4th line minutes. Hardly a top-9 player. Kerfoot shouldn't be in the top teams top-6 either.. A lot of holes and a lot needs to be changed before we can call this good offense. Too many role players playing in crucial roles.

Getting Hughes/Kakko could potentially help us a lot and we do have some prospects coming up, so not impossible situation. We need to go for it from next off-season, though. We can't wait longer, especially If we get Hughes or Kakko.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Holy ****, just saw that pirate-cussing-tool Mike Commodore called this trade.

He's called some of them right...like yesterday's Nyquist to SJ for a couple of picks... he called it a whopping 2 hours before McKenzie. Hayes to Winnipeg a couple of days in advance, too.

TSN Ottawa radio guys were talking about it earlier...they said that Commodore told them before the deadline to pay attention because he'd say a lot of things and only some of it would be real. He obviously has access to some kind of inside source that even common "insiders" don't have access to.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
+ 30-31 years old (not too old by any stretch)
+ Adds secondary scoring (wasn't being given the situational play at Florida)
+ Can actually win a heap of faceoffs (something we miss)
+ Added Veteran experience (will help with players like Jost, Bowers, Kaut down the road)
+ Didn't lose one solitary player, not a pick in this years draft
+ Is UFA at seasons end, so nothing to lose really

What's not to love? AAA+

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad