TSN: COL/FLA: Brassard + Conditional 2020 6th for 2020 3rd

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Brassard can play up and down the lineup, C or W, I wouldn't worry about where he fits in our top nine. And if he does re-sign, he can play a Wilson type role next year as a versatile vet type.

Man, If we can add some top-6 player through UFA and keep Brassard (for less money) and then get Kakko or Hughes, this team is starting to look good.

The defense we could use some help as well, though and I'm not 100% sure about Varlamov, If he is good enough anymore for 82 games and PLAYOFFS.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Brassard can play up and down the lineup, C or W, I wouldn't worry about where he fits in our top nine. And if he does re-sign, he can play a Wilson type role next year as a versatile vet type.

It'll be really interesting. He kinda fits the Eric Staal mold of a guy who used to be a solid top 6 player and was traded to a team, did work out and his value plummeted. The Avs will get to see him enough where he could resign for cheap and does have that dark horse upside. Interesting player.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Brassard will never return to being a 50-60 point sort of guy. You hope for him to push into the 40s again and there is probably enough gas in the tank to do that for a few seasons. No longer a #2C, but he can be a #3C (if he is willing to accept that role).

Yeah there is a reason he was had for so cheap. The Avs bottom 9 is so odd that having him at C along with Soderberg gives the middle 6 a lot more options. The Avs could use any depth scoring so badly if he can generate a little bit extra it would be a huge help.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah there is a reason he was had for so cheap. The Avs bottom 9 is so odd that having him at C along with Soderberg gives the middle 6 a lot more options. The Avs could use any depth scoring so badly if he can generate a little bit extra it would be a huge help.
I really just wanted him to push Dries and Bourque out of the lineup... We need NHL quality depth players, hopefully when Wilson gets back it will do something to that effect.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I really just wanted him to push Dries and Bourque out of the lineup... We need NHL quality depth players, hopefully when Wilson gets back it will do something to that effect.

I'll be more curious as to how long Greer and possibly even Agzz stays down there. I get they had to send them down for AHL playoff elidg. but those guys were having a noticeable impact, unlike the invisible unit they put out there they other night.

Man its also such a shame Kam has gotten hurt these past few seasons, he was really playing well and a 4th line with Greer/Kam/Wilson would have been solid.

Reactions: klozge

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Whatever Brassard can bring to the table is a bonus. He only cost a 3rd in 2020. He's this year's Boedker. Just here to be a game changer in a couple of games and get them some much needed points they might not have had. Most likely he walks as a UFA unless he forms really good chemistry with someone and produces like he used to.

He's their fail safe option in the middle if Jost can't stick at center, or they miss out on a center with the Sens pick, and they think they'll miss out in trade/UFA on better options.

I think most likely one of those other options happens, he walks as a UFA, and the Avs pick up an extra 6th rounder.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Fair enough about his pittsburgh stint, but what about this season in Florida? I guess it doesn't really matter if we are going to use him as the offensive-2C and Soda the defensive-2C, so to speak...aka as middle 6 lines that are interchangeable based on the situation...but I'm never really comfortable penciling guys who need to be put in a position to produce to be effective, into lesser roles like we'd be doing if we brought back Brassard and got a quality 2C/1bC. And I feel like Brass is in that category at this point in his career.

Which I guess doesn't matter with this team this year, but is moreso a concern I have if they re-sign him.

I thought he was fine in Florida... but everybody knew he wasn't long for the world there and was just there to get moved again. Way too small of sample and odd situation to judge anything on.

Reactions: cgf

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I honestly have no issue with Brassard walking either... there is a similar chance to a third rounder panning out as a 6th rounder, so the loss in rounds isn't all that significant if he does walk.
He is by far the best rental in the Sakic era (much more so than Boedker). It was a really good trade.

Reactions: MacBradley

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
@Foppberg and others

I find this Rangers thread interesting:
Player Discussion - Mats Zuccarello Appreciation Thread

My countryman @Chimp and some other fans being really, really upset of the fact Zucc was traded. Lundqvist himself was crying talking about Zucc during an interview, there was a lot of emotions and drama.

From a Colorado perspective I feel (hope/wish) Sakic is trying to follow the model similiar to what Ken Holland created in Detroit, Lacroix did for Colorado and also Yzerman in Tampa?

Staying with the core.

Sakic is having tons of patience with the core in Colorado but sometimes very difficult knowing if it's the owners being cheap (not investing and trading star players perhaps limited by budget) or simply being patient and following the strategy?

Rangers (especially when $ather was running the business) sometimes the complete oppositite, aggressive on the trade market, team chemistry changing on a consistant basis, sometimes working out fine, sometimes not.

I feel there is also a cultural difference here because the differenxe is HUGE between SHL (Sweden) and NHL in this specific area, how players are traded, team loyalty (both for players and fans) and finallly the budgets can't be compared.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacBradley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->