Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] F Tomas Tatar signs with the Avalanche (1 year, $1.5M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Soft, maybe a little, but slow? Since when?

He hung with the Devils, who are a fast team playing an uptempo, aggressive style.
He’s not fast enough where he is still effective when the game becomes more physical. He’s useless for a playoff team and the Avs are not the Devils - they are trying for the Cup. The Devils had a stepping stone year then clued in that they are now contenders and Tatar brings absolutely nothing to those types of teams. I just don’t like the fit for the team.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He’s not fast enough where he is still effective when the game becomes more physical. He’s useless for a playoff team and the Avs are not the Devils - they are trying for the Cup. The Devils had a stepping stone year then clued in that they are now contenders and Tatar brings absolutely nothing to those types of teams. I just don’t like the fit for the team.

It improves the roster substantially for the regular season.

Which apparently people didn't realize that the Avs did not look very good this year for the regular season. We have Drouin playing top line winger and on top of that we were 1 injury away from Miles Wood being a Top 6 winger. Adding Tatar moves everyone else down a spot which is huge for our depth.

By the time the playoffs start, the Avs will have more reinforcements here. Landeskog is still on track to return for the playoffs as of yesterday, Nikolai Kovalenko will be with the team by then(Though admittedly I'm not convinced he has much of an impact) and the Avs should be pretty aggressive at the deadline again. At least for one more forward.

Honestly the move made a lot of sense for the Avs.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
It improves the roster substantially for the regular season.

Which apparently people didn't realize that the Avs did not look very good this year for the regular season. We have Drouin playing top line winger and on top of that we were 1 injury away from Miles Wood being a Top 6 winger. Adding Tatar moves everyone else down a spot which is huge for our depth.

By the time the playoffs start, the Avs will have more reinforcements here. Landeskog is still on track to return for the playoffs as of yesterday, Nikolai Kovalenko will be with the team by then(Though admittedly I'm not convinced he has much of an impact) and the Avs should be pretty aggressive at the deadline again. At least for one more forward.

Honestly the move made a lot of sense for the Avs.
Well I’m glad you’re happy as an Avs fan. But when the playoffs roll around and he gets 1 point in 10 games while giving nothing else of value on the ice, you won’t give a shit about the regular season.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
You'd think he'd accidentally get some points in the playoffs eventually thanks to the law of large numbers.

Maybe it'll be this year.

I really think poor playoff stats get overblown, and are largely just a small sample size. Tatar’s existence is a foil to my premise.

Hope he can shed the label sometime, as I like the player and it’d help my argument.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Well I’m glad you’re happy as an Avs fan. But when the playoffs roll around and he gets 1 point in 10 games while giving nothing else of value on the ice, you won’t give a shit about the regular season.
That’s a pretty simplistic view.

Have you considered the effect of having him in the regular season does for the Avs best players come playoff time?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Healthy scratch then. We won the cup with newhook doing nothing basically.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
You gotta play 82 games before making the playoffs, and no team is healthy the whole time. Even if you knew, TODAY, that he wouldn't even play any playoff games, a $1.5M signing is value for what he brought last year.

One extra win last season and the Avs are playing the sad sack Jets instead of the feisty Kraken in the first round.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
That’s a pretty simplistic view.

Have you considered the effect of having him in the regular season does for the Avs best players come playoff time?
Have you considered the Devils didn’t even offer him $1.5m to stay despite them wanting to contend. A bad playoff player is a bad playoff player. Doesn’t make everyone magically better because he plays 17 mins a game in the regular season.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
We at HFAvs turn on folks much sooner than that. If he hasn't scored 18 by the end of February...Lord help him.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Have you considered the Devils didn’t even offer him $1.5m to stay despite them wanting to contend. A bad playoff player is a bad playoff player. Doesn’t make everyone magically better because he plays 17 mins a game in the regular season.
Well the Devils have, probably, the deepest forward corps in the league and maybe 3 NHL ready forwards fighting for a single starting spot WITHOUT Tatar. Doesn't mean he's not worth having to other teams.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Who cares about the Devils. The Avs know way more about winning in the playoffs.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Again, extremely simplistic.

Part of what helped the Avs win the cup was the fact that they performed so well in the regular season. Your best players have a lot less on their shoulders during the 82 game grind if you have additional depth.
During their cup win, the Avs were able to get healthy and rest up over the last 2 weeks of the season.

Last year was the opposite. The Avs best players had to play huge minutes, right up til the end. They went into the playoffs beaten up.

It doesn’t matter if Tatar doesn’t kill it in the playoffs. What matters is the offense he puts up in the regular season, makes every other players job a little easier for the marathon before the playoffs even start.

The Avs have Kovalenko coming, possibly Lamdeskog, and whatever deadline deal they make.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Have you considered the Devils are deeper at forward than the Avs? And they also don't have a PPG+ elite two way winger on LTIR that's do back for game 1 of the playoffs?

Seems like you actually haven't thought much about this at all.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Tatar served his purpose here as a two year bridge. At this point we had to keep a spot open for Alex Holtz (or potentially Nolan Foote / Graeme Clarke). Even at 1.5 mil, we may need to preserve that extra cap space for the deadline.

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad