Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] F Tomas Tatar signs with the Avalanche (1 year, $1.5M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
he could score 15-20 goals in the regular season then press box in the playoffs and replace him with a returning landeskog

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Good reg season guy

Terrible in the playoffs

Maybe playing with Mack can get him going in the playoffs
Fair enough but it's still a good value singing and the Avs look really good out West next year.

Problem is that Vegas, Oilers and Dallas all look really good too.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I liked him on the Devils. Good option to play on the 2nd or 3rd line. He's also decent in the shootout. He wasn't very good in the playoffs and that seems to be an issue wherever he has played over the years.

A 1 year deal on the cheap and him going to a good team means he should be a good fit. Maybe he gels well with the Avs and he could be a contributor if they make the playoffs , which I believe they will.

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
New Jersey is going to miss Tatar (and for that matter Miles Wood) a lot more than they think.
I can agree with Tatar, he fit extremely well with the devils play style. But wood will only be missed for sentimental reasons. Of all the departures from the devils this off season, woods will be felt the least.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
The argument will be, what does it matter when you can’t get paid anyway? But yea. I can’t even remember how long ago, and it’s been stages in how it’s gone down over the years too.

I just feel bad for your 4th line guys the most. Those were their best paid years, and the cap situation really has shortened careers lately.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice for Colorado that they can add 20 goals for $1.5, but him taking that money, took from someone making $1.7, who took from someone making $1.3, etc. In fact, Tatar himself talked about it recently. Almost apologizing to a player who was supposed to be traded to make space for him. Obviously that deal never came to be, but it really does effect everyone, except your top money makers. So it was just a bad deal for the NHLPA.
NHLPA got its target share of revenue, how that is distributed to individual players isn't determined by the CBA.

With a flat cap over multiple years, and teams more willing to spend early on their young stars, middle of the pack UFAs were always going to be squeezed.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
The argument will be, what does it matter when you can’t get paid anyway? But yea. I can’t even remember how long ago, and it’s been stages in how it’s gone down over the years too.

I just feel bad for your 4th line guys the most. Those were their best paid years, and the cap situation really has shortened careers lately.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice for Colorado that they can add 20 goals for $1.5, but him taking that money, took from someone making $1.7, who took from someone making $1.3, etc. In fact, Tatar himself talked about it recently. Almost apologizing to a player who was supposed to be traded to make space for him. Obviously that deal never came to be, but it really does effect everyone, except your top money makers. So it was just a bad deal for the NHLPA.
I don’t disagree with what you’re saying.

But, in reality, isn’t this how generally all employees are treated.

If you max out your raise with your boss, are you not limiting the pay/raise of another employee? If you ask for a max raise, are you not limiting the offer being made to a new employee, indirectly? Any business runs on cost limitation. So no matter what, increase the cost in one place naturally decreases the cost somewhere else.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I can agree with Tatar, he fit extremely well with the devils play style. But wood will only be missed for sentimental reasons. Of all the departures from the devils this off season, woods will be felt the least.

Don't mean to hijack a thread about Tomas Tatar but find it fascinating that Wood's game is appreciated more by opposing fans than by Devils fans. On a team full of undersized skill players he was one of the few Devils forwards capable of playing when the opponents played a heavy game.

Reactions: Ncit3

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Don't mean to hijack a thread about Tomas Tatar but find it fascinating that Wood's game is appreciated more by opposing fans than by Devils fans. On a team full of undersized skill players he was one of the few Devils forwards capable of playing when the opponents played a heavy game.
Yeah, I'm sure opposing fans appreciated his game.

I would too, if I weren't a Devils fan.

• Haha
Reactions: Whaddagoal

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
But that physicality made him no more effective than anyone else. Poor defensively and cannot maintain possession well enough to cycle in the zone makes him frustrating. He was good through November but once Romanov cleaned his clock he did nothing for a couple months. I liked Wood, but once the team raised their game and played the way they should be he stuck out like a sore thumb. I would much rather have Nosek in that spot who can win face offs and kill penalties. But this is about Tatar. Happy for him, avs depth looks a lot better this season.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I thought the playoff argument was lazy too until I looked up the stats - 52 games, 13 total points. Last year on a 12 game run with the Devils - 1 goal

That's 4th line level shit

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I always found him a bit meh. But at 1.5, he's easily worth that even if he does nothing in the playoffs. If you're banking on that 1.5 helping you advance in the playoffs. Your team has issues.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Good pick up for the AVs and price is cheap for Tuna. Wish him the best, he was a solid player and guy on the Habs.

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
I don't really agree with the comments saying Tatar is soft. He's not a physical specimen but he's not afraid to go into the dirty areas either. The playoff stats are alarming though.
A couple of time in the last playoff he was the 3rd assist.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I don’t disagree with what you’re saying.

But, in reality, isn’t this how generally all employees are treated.

If you max out your raise with your boss, are you not limiting the pay/raise of another employee? If you ask for a max raise, are you not limiting the offer being made to a new employee, indirectly? Any business runs on cost limitation. So no matter what, increase the cost in one place naturally decreases the cost somewhere else.
100%…. There’s always cause and effect within the current system. Whatever system that is. Whatever market it may be. In this NHL market, teams are forced to work within the parameters in front of them right now.

My thing is, they need to fix that current climate as a whole, because it’s starting to hurt the league and many of the players. It’s killing your bottom six player’s career earning power, as they’re out at 30-32 now. Guys going back to Europe cause the money ain’t crazy different anymore, etc, etc.

A lot of those players were fan favorites too, because they came up through the system and stayed with their teams so long. They’d make $1.5-$2.5 up to 35 years old. Those contracts just didn’t exist anymore.

It’s a mess. Not sure it gets fixed either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad