Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avs Sign Devon Toews (4 Years, $4.1M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Some poster mentioned that Colorado had a top 5 defense in the league. I argued that it was not the case and I got a response saying that since they were 5th in GA they ahd a top 5 D so I pointed out that this argument is faulty considering that Arizona certainly does not have a top 4 D in the league but still finished 4th in GA

It's a hell of a lot more then that.

They were 6th in the entire league for GAA avg at 2.71. They were 3rd in the entire league for 5 on 5 goals against at 114. Only Dallas(113), and Boston(105) allowed fewer 5 on 5 goals against, and Colorado had a lower GA/GP then Dallas at 5 on 5 as well.

Beyond those stats... They also had the 7th lowest xGA, 6th lowest xGA per game. They had the 8th fewest Scoring Chances Against, the 4th lowest Scoring Chance Goals Against, the 6th lowest High Danger Chances Against, and the 6th lowest High Danger Goals Against, and they had a 5 on 5 sv% of 93.16%, the 3rd best in the entire league.

No matter which way you look at it, the Avs consistently ranked as one of the stingiest teams in the entire league defensively. They gave up very few scoring chances, and very few goals against on the chances they did give up.

If you're going to argue our Goaltending isn't very good(Which once again all of the analytics suggests the opposite is true)... Then you literally do not have a leg to stand on for the Defense being bad.

As I said, the Avs defense is so ridiculously underrated it is pure insanity at this point. They were an extremely dominant team at both ends of the ice last year, a team that's ultimate undoing was injuries an awful Power Play, and a poor Penalty Kill that really suffered from the injuries we were hit with.

And.... That was last years team. A team that just got significantly better this off season by adding both Saad and Toews, major upgrades at the respective positions they're going to be playing in. As well as having our two 22 year old Dmen getting more experience and development under them year over year.

Reactions: slobbergob

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
How else would you measure team defense? Name recognition? What good does having 6 big names do for you if your team is in the bottom half of goals against? Arizona is a top 5 defensive team in the league, they just have trouble scoring and they actually made the playoffs last year FYI so they're not as bad as you think.

Is San Jose a top defensive team because they have Karlsson and Burns even though they were a bottom feeder and leaks goals left and right?

That is the thing, it all started with a reply on someone saying Colorado had a top 5 defense while you talk about the teams defensive game, there is a difference. A team can be great defensively while not having great D players (ie Arizona)

So yes my evaluation on the team's D is based on the name recognition.

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
That is the thing, it all started with a reply on someone saying Colorado had a top 5 defense while you talk about the teams defensive game, there is a difference. A team can be great defensively while not having great D players (ie Arizona)

So yes my evaluation on the team's D is based on the name recognition.
I... don't think you realize how dumb your position is here.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Not so much, NYI probably matches and trades toews for more than 1 2nd rd pick

You can’t trade him for a year after you match an off sheet. Gotta hold onto him at that point.

The Avs probably could’ve gotten away with an offer sheet. It would’ve put NYI in an impossible position. But in the end, the Avs got their guy at what would be a reduced price in a non-COVID year, and the Isles don’t feel like they’ve been screwed over either. It’s a win for everybody.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
I... don't think you realize how dumb your position is here.

How is this dumb, people constantly rank teams on this board based on the players and not on the way they play. The only dumb thing here is you realizing there is a difference between the evaluation of a team's defensive game and team's D players

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
How is this dumb, people constantly rank teams on this board based on the players and not on the way they play. The only dumb thing here is you realizing there is a difference between the evaluation of a team's defensive game and team's D players
Not really. Saying you're basing off name recognition is pretty sad for either of those assessments

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Columbus, Nashville and possibly San Jose

I think the Avs have a better bottom pairing and depth than all of them, while having comparable top talent. The only two that are clear to me are Tampa (assuming Sergachev and Cernak are both resigned) and Carolina. I'd put Dallas, Columbus, and Nashville into that next tier, along with the Avs. I think they are close enough where whatever order you put them in could be plausible. San Jose has too much money tied up in three 30+ year old players to have good depth, so they are much lower on my list.

Reactions: Cenzo_

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Top 5 defense? Maybe in the central

Avs probably have a top 3 TEAM and looking like a bonafide cup contender for years but it is a stretch to say their defense was top 5
Lol

Our goalies are not good enough, are defense isn't top 10 or top 5 but somehow they managed to be 6th overall in goals against. Amazing logic.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Lol

Our goalies are not good enough, are defense isn't top 10 or top 5 but somehow they managed to be 6th overall in goals against. Amazing logic.

You know having an amazing offense does help puck possession and therefore can result in the other team having a lot less scoring opportunities

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Lol

You can't even say it's the system since the Avs don't play that defensive trap system. Bad goalie, bad defense, offensive system, but somehow 5th in GA?:dunno:

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
How else would you measure team defense? Name recognition? What good does having 6 big names do for you if your team is in the bottom half of goals against? Arizona is a top 5 defensive team in the league, they just have trouble scoring and they actually made the playoffs last year FYI so they're not as bad as you think.

Is San Jose a top defensive team because they have Karlsson and Burns even though they were a bottom feeder and leaks goals left and right?
People still think the only players who matter when rating defense are defensemen. It's like they are only ones allowed to play D. Avs are a top 5 defensive team in the league, simple as that.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
You know having an amazing offense does help puck possession and therefore can result in the other team having a lot less scoring opportunities
Do you understand that team defense was referenced? I don't give a toss about where the D unit ranks, what matters is team defense.

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
Do the Avs really want to lose someone as solid as Graves for nothing?
Seatlle will get something for nothing.

This applies to every team. Any good team will have to expose someone they would rather not lose for nothing

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Seatlle will get something for nothing.

This applies to every team. Any good team will have to expose someone they would rather not lose for nothing

Yah but the level of something is different now isn't it. Who will they take if they moved Graves?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Yah but the level of something is different now isn't it. Who will they take if they moved Graves?

Another decent players. There is pretty much no way for the Avs to avoid losing a good asset this expansion so might as well just let Seattle take one.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
There's no concern in losing Graves and making trades to somehow not lose him for nothing can just blow up in your face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad