Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avs Sign Devon Toews (4 Years, $4.1M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Grubauer isn't good enough for what? What an outlandish take. You do realize it wasn't him in the net when they played the Stars, but rather Hutch and injured Francouz and it still took Dallas 7 games to go though?

Yes, and the Stars still lit him up for the time he was in in game 1. He's not a great goalie, just good.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Yeah imagine having a Top 5 defense in the league and it not being good enough, then turning around and making that Top 5 defense significantly better.

The defense is pretty weak come playoff time when the physicality shows up. It showed too. Avs best defense is a good offense however

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Do you understand that team defense was referenced? I don't give a toss about where the D unit ranks, what matters is team defense.

No that is exactly the thing, the whole argument started by talking about the defense, top 5 defense was the exact words, which led me to discuss the D units and not the team defense.

So to close this damn argument, I am not sure the Avs D units rank top 5 in the league but yes the team's defensive game does rank top 5 and yes they have an already amazing team that just got better and should be a cup winner pretty soon

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Yes, and the Stars still lit him up for the time he was in in game 1. He's not a great goalie, just good.
Amazing take once again. Strong sample size. What's the take on Khudobin who was horrendous in the series? I guess he is good enough?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Amazing take once again. Strong sample size. What's the take on Khudobin who was horrendous in the series? I guess he is good enough?

No, the Stars just won the scoring battle and he slightly outperformed the Avs goalies.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
There's no concern in losing Graves and making trades to somehow not lose him for nothing can just blow up in your face.

Yup. I'd almost rather lose Graves anyway, since that gives Byram more opportunities. I don't like the idea of losing Compher nearly as much, since he's such a versatile guy and harder to replace.

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
@Richard88 , a solid deal for Sakic and Toews.
That last year is a bit high in salary, cap should be going up by then but otherwise, really well done.
This is one of the comparable deals for Weegar so I think he comes in closer to Grz in BOS (4yr x $3.67 mil) than Toews here.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
There's about 3-4 forwards on the bubble for the 7th protection slot, so probably one of Compher, Donskoi, or Jost.

AVs protect Jost and trade Graves. Protecting the much cheaper Jost forces SEA to pick a more pricey player.

Mack
Rant
Landy
Kadri
Bura
Nuke
Jost

Makar
Girard
Toews

Franc

Exposed: Donk, Compher, EJ, Grub (every player earns $3M+)

Reactions: FACTORY

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I guess the same can be said about the Stars, eh.
Don't you just love inane narratives? Stars actually conceded more in that series that the Avs who were playing a 3rd stringer and an injured backup but our defense buckled.

Reactions: AMDZen

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
AVs protect Jost and trade Graves. Protecting the much cheaper Jost forces SEA to pick a more pricey player.

Mack
Rant
Landy
Kadri
Bura
Nuke
Jost

Makar
Girard
Toews

Franc

Exposed: Donk, Compher, EJ, Grub (every player earns $3M+)

I don't think that being cheaper is more important than actually being good at hockey, so this really depends on how well Jost performs next year. If he's still struggling, no point in protecting him over someone who is useful.

I would be curious to see what return we could get for Graves. I just don't know if it'll be enough to justify opening 2 holes in the roster, instead of just losing Graves for nothing.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I don't think that being cheaper is more important than actually being good at hockey, so this really depends on how well Jost performs next year. If he's still struggling, no point in protecting him over someone who is useful.

I would be curious to see what return we could get for Graves. I just don't know if it'll be enough to justify opening 2 holes in the roster, instead of just losing Graves for nothing.

Jost sucks, but strategically exposes more pricey players to open cap space. He costs less than $1M, but losing either Compher ($3.5M), Donk ($3.9M), EJ ($6M) or Grub ($3.3M extends) would help the team much more. Jost would be more valuable in a trade & $2M+ savings.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
The defense is pretty weak come playoff time when the physicality shows up. It showed too. Avs best defense is a good offense however
I think Dallas won because of the special units but also agreed that it exposed our defense after both EJ and Calvert went down. One is our best forward in the PK and the other is also our best defensemen in the PK. Avs had to overplay the likes of Zadorov, Cole and Graves it was showing and rookie Makar had to play over 25min per night. Timmins is the most similar player to EJ IMO and also got hurt there. The defense is weak because of the injuries we had some terrible bad luck we will see how the team does by the deadline maybe add a reliable bottom pairing dman who can kill penalties.

Last edited:
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Jost sucks, but strategically exposes more pricey players to open cap space. He costs less than $1M, but losing either Compher ($3.5M), Donk ($3.9M), EJ ($6M) or Grub ($3.3M extends) would help the team much more. Jost would be more valuable in a trade & $2M+ savings.

So, we expose players who deserve to be paid more because they are better at hockey in order to open up cap space we don't need, and we trade Graves for two 2nds to make it happen? Seems like we'll come out of this with a worse team than if we just lost Graves for nothing in the expansion draft. Or are you assuming Sakic will turn those draft picks and cap space into someone elite at 50% retention?

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
No that is exactly the thing, the whole argument started by talking about the defense, top 5 defense was the exact words, which led me to discuss the D units and not the team defense.

So to close this damn argument, I am not sure the Avs D units rank top 5 in the league but yes the team's defensive game does rank top 5 and yes they have an already amazing team that just got better and should be a cup winner pretty soon
your logic is incredible, you should write a book

Reactions: Linds

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
So, we expose players who deserve to be paid more because they are better at hockey in order to open up cap space we don't need, and we trade Graves for two 2nds to make it happen? Seems like we'll come out of this with a worse team than if we just lost Graves for nothing in the expansion draft. Or are you assuming Sakic will turn those draft picks and cap space into someone elite at 50% retention?

Graves ($3.1M) + Compher ($3.5M) frees up $6.6M.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Gru is a UFA. In theory, protect Frank and sign Gru's extension the day after the expansion draft, before UFA starts. Or is Grubauer going to sign somewhere else, rather than continuing to be the starter for a Cup contender?

I wonder if it makes sense to extend Grubs and expose Frankie to get the krakens to take him instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->