Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avs Sign Devon Toews (4 Years, $4.1M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Top 5 defense? Maybe in the central

Havs probably have a top 3 TEAM and looking like a bonafide cup contender for years but it is a stretch to say their defense was top 5
They were 5th in the league in goals against, not bad for a terrible defensive team eh?

So apparently Colorado has terrible defense and goaltending but somehow ended up 5th in the league in goals against? Isn't the point of defense to keep the puck out of the net? Apparently they did a pretty good job of that last year.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
They were 5th in the league in goals against, not bad for a terrible defensive team eh?

So apparently Colorado has terrible defense and goaltending but somehow ended up 5th in the league in goals against? Isn't the point of defense to keep the puck out of the net? Apparently they did a pretty good job of that last year.

I never said they had a terrible defense... Also, Arizona finished 4th in GA, I guess they have a top 4 defense in the league

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

The key to our defence is our quick breakout pass, and playing in the other teams zone. We’re not really a “defensive” team

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
crazy how signing a worse player is seen as a....worse signing

OP suggested it was silly that Edmundson, who is similar in skill if not better than Toews, costs 600k less and a 5th rounder instead of a 2nd rounder.

Contracts and associated transactions were about equal

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The key to our defence is our quick breakout pass, and playing in the other teams zone. We’re not really a “defensive” team

But we are... a teams ability to quickly transition out of the defensive zone is a huge part of what makes a team good defensively.

The Avs are possibly the best team in the league and limiting chances off the rush, and limiting defensive time spent in the zone. They are fantastic at breaking other teams cycles down, and moving pucks from the defenders sticks up to the forwards and out of the zone fast.

That is 90% of what defense in todays hockey is all about.

Reactions: Mordoch

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Good contract, probably would have been $3m+ in arbitration for just the one year so they're not paying much more for the additional term.

Yeah its a fair contract for a mid pair dman. And the contract rides into prime years. Should be a win/win and Toews will get paid again whether with Colorado or other as the Avs WILL be successful for at least four years...a near guarantee.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I never said they had a terrible defense... Also, Arizona finished 4th in GA, I guess they have a top 4 defense in the league

I mean...keeping pucks out of the net is all that Arizona tries to do so it's not out of the realm of possibility that they are a Top-5 defensive team. What point were you trying to prove?

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
I mean...keeping pucks out of the net is all that Arizona tries to do so it's not out of the realm of possibility that they are a Top-5 defensive team. What point were you trying to prove?

Some poster mentioned that Colorado had a top 5 defense in the league. I argued that it was not the case and I got a response saying that since they were 5th in GA they ahd a top 5 D so I pointed out that this argument is faulty considering that Arizona certainly does not have a top 4 D in the league but still finished 4th in GA

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
OP suggested it was silly that Edmundson, who is similar in skill if not better than Toews, costs 600k less and a 5th rounder instead of a 2nd rounder.

Contracts and associated transactions were about equal
In what world is Edmundson comparable to Toews? Toews is a top 4 borderline top pairing defenseman while Edmundson should be a 3rd pairing ideally 7th defenseman.
upload_2020-10-27_13-38-12.png

upload_2020-10-27_13-37-29.png

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Kind of a bitter sweet situation.

Glad we got some use out of Toews before we had to deal him off, in both the 2019 and 2020 playoffs. Also glad we got a little bit of trade value for him in a situation where we had little leverage.

But boy do I wish he was still an Islander.

Nucks for the Cup

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
I see a lot of people saying this means Graves is gone but the way I see it they still have a chance of keeping him if Johnson waives his NMC and they do not sign Landeskog before the expansion draft, work out a new deal just don't sign him so they don't have to protect him, he's their captain and loves the city and team and doubt Seattle taking him would change his mind about signing back with Colorado once free agency opens. They could then go 4+4 with Mackinnon, Rantanen, Kadri, Burakovsky and Makar Girard, Toews and Graves. Then Seattle probably takes Jost or maybe Donskoi so comes down to would you rather have Graves or one of them.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Some poster mentioned that Colorado had a top 5 defense in the league. I argued that it was not the case and I got a response saying that since they were 5th in GA they ahd a top 5 D so I pointed out that this argument is faulty considering that Arizona certainly does not have a top 4 D in the league but still finished 4th in GA

And that poster is correct. Arizona does have a top defense and elite goal tending they just cant score due to how they play

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

I agree that GA is more of a team metric, and doesn't necessarily make the team's defenseman top 5 in the NHL as a group. But, what 5+ teams have a better defensive group than the Avs, top to bottom?

Carolina. Tampa. Maybe Dallas? Who else?

And, our biggest issue should solve itself, with Byram coming to replace Cole, hopefully to start next season.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
And that poster is correct. Arizona does have a top defense and elite goal tending they just cant score due to how they play

OK Arizona does NOT have a top defense. Ekman-Larsson is a good player and Chychrun is a great young D, but outside of that it is either average or old. There D is certainly in the bottom half of the league

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
I agree that GA is more of a team metric, and doesn't necessarily make the team's defenseman top 5 in the NHL as a group. But, what 5+ teams have a better defensive group than the Avs, top to bottom?

Carolina. Tampa. Maybe Dallas? Who else?

And, our biggest issue should solve itself, with Byram coming to replace Cole, hopefully to start next season.

Columbus, Nashville and possibly San Jose

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Funny how this is a great contract but when the Habs signed Edmundson, who is 4 months older, played 221 mores NHL games, scored 8 less points last year and is signed $600k less/yr most were saying it was a terrible contract.

Oh and also Edmundston cost a 5th round pick while Toews cost 2 second rounders

Good ol HF bias[/QUOTE]
....or good ol eyes. Watch a game with both and then compare the 2. I would rather pay the extra $600k and the picks.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
OK Arizona does NOT have a top defense. Ekman-Larsson is a good player and Chychrun is a great young D, but outside of that it is either average or old. There D is certainly in the bottom half of the league
How else would you measure team defense? Name recognition? What good does having 6 big names do for you if your team is in the bottom half of goals against? Arizona is a top 5 defensive team in the league, they just have trouble scoring and they actually made the playoffs last year FYI so they're not as bad as you think.

Is San Jose a top defensive team because they have Karlsson and Burns even though they were a bottom feeder and leaks goals left and right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad