Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avs Sign Devon Toews (4 Years, $4.1M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
About 100k more than I had hoped for. So I am really happy with this deal. Good that we got term for 2 2nds....

The people that are talking about trading Byram are nuts..
We can't even afford to pay the players we would be trading him for (and what do we even need that would be remotely worth Byram? Certainly not an expensive winger. That would be ridiculous). Only guy I might do it is Barkov if he agrees under the table to sign a sweetheart deal for his former favorite team (if his pre-draft interviews are to be trusted) 2 years from now and even that is probably not feasible financially.....

Toews is clearly here to bridge the gap between now and Byram being ready for toppairing duty. I also think he has played quite a bit of RD over the years so that is what ultimately will be his job once Byram arrives. Push EJ to the third pairing...
Byram- Makar
Girard- Toews
Graves- EJ
Timmins

Thats what the Avs are hoping to run 2-3 years from now. The expansion draft (I really hope they take Graves) and our prospects (hopefully Timmins can stay healthy and break into the lineup) will probably change that a bit but that certainly seems to be the idea going forward and I like it..

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
@Richard88 , a solid deal for Sakic and Toews.
That last year is a bit high in salary, cap should be going up by then but otherwise, really well done.
This is one of the comparable deals for Weegar so I think he comes in closer to Grz in BOS (4yr x $3.67 mil) than Toews here.

I believe the AAV is the same on the cap every year. The yearly salary is just what the player gets paid every year, from my understanding.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I agree that GA is more of a team metric, and doesn't necessarily make the team's defenseman top 5 in the NHL as a group. But, what 5+ teams have a better defensive group than the Avs, top to bottom?

Depending on how it shakes out, Las Vegas, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, San Jose, St. Louis (depending on how big of an effect Pietroangelo has had on leaving). East, I can't say as much with Columbus, Tampa Bay, and Carolina off the top of my head.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Some poster mentioned that Colorado had a top 5 defense in the league. I argued that it was not the case and I got a response saying that since they were 5th in GA they ahd a top 5 D so I pointed out that this argument is faulty considering that Arizona certainly does not have a top 4 D in the league but still finished 4th in GA

Having a top defense doesn't always come with attractive names or a high payroll. Defensively they are a top team. You could easily argue that their defense lacks an offensive element that is sought after, but to say they aren't a top team defensively isn't fair or correct.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Depending on how it shakes out, Las Vegas, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, San Jose, St. Louis (depending on how big of an effect Pietroangelo has had on leaving). East, I can't say as much with Columbus, Tampa Bay, and Carolina off the top of my head.

I like how you snuck Minnesota in the list as having a better defense than Colorado. It seems like Sakic is fortunate to keep making moves with at the very least six teams having a better defense than Colorado in the Western Conference alone.

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
Ya the last year is $5.9 million in salary as per Capfriendly, it's a tad high but he looks to have the potential for 35+ pts though, so that will be similar value for a top 4 D in 4 years time.
Salary isn't the cap hit. The AAV is, which is the average (per its name 'Annual Average Value')

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
I know, just saying $5.9 mil in salary the last year is a tad high. Not worried about the AAV.
Not really? It all adds up the same amount. I imagine it's like that because it made the most sense to organization to spread it out like that.

There isn't really any impact outside of balancing the books in the background

DieselBoy

Mar 18, 2007
About 100k more than I had hoped for. So I am really happy with this deal. Good that we got term for 2 2nds....

The people that are talking about trading Byram are nuts..
We can't even afford to pay the players we would be trading him for (and what do we even need that would be remotely worth Byram? Certainly not an expensive winger. That would be ridiculous). Only guy I might do it is Barkov if he agrees under the table to sign a sweetheart deal for his former favorite team (if his pre-draft interviews are to be trusted) 2 years from now and even that is probably not feasible financially.....

Toews is clearly here to bridge the gap between now and Byram being ready for toppairing duty. I also think he has played quite a bit of RD over the years so that is what ultimately will be his job once Byram arrives. Push EJ to the third pairing...
Byram- Makar
Girard- Toews
Graves- EJ
Timmins

Thats what the Avs are hoping to run 2-3 years from now. The expansion draft (I really hope they take Graves) and our prospects (hopefully Timmins can stay healthy and break into the lineup) will probably change that a bit but that certainly seems to be the idea going forward and I like it..

I had it at about 36.599k more than i wished.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Ya the last year is $5.9 million in salary as per Capfriendly, it's a tad high but he looks to have the potential for 35+ pts though, so that will be similar value for a top 4 D in 4 years time.

That’s the salary though. The cap hit is 4.1 every year. No one cares what the actual salary comes out at. If it was 10 million it wouldn’t bother me. Cap hit is all that matters.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I know, just saying $5.9 mil in salary the last year is a tad high. Not worried about the AAV.

Backend deal is likely to offset the low income for the next 2 seasons and return to fans on the final 2 seasons. AAV is still the same, but allows both sides to adapt. AVs control spending for the next 2 seasons and Player gets a slightly higher pay.

Reactions: Mal Reynolds

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I like how you snuck Minnesota in the list as having a better defense than Colorado. It seems like Sakic is fortunate to keep making moves with at the very least six teams having a better defense than Colorado in the Western Conference alone.

I didn't 'sneak' Minnesota in there. They absolutely do have a better defense than Colorado. They have at least 3 guys, if not 4 guys, that can be top pairing.

Last edited:

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
So, we expose players who deserve to be paid more because they are better at hockey in order to open up cap space we don't need, and we trade Graves for two 2nds to make it happen? Seems like we'll come out of this with a worse team than if we just lost Graves for nothing in the expansion draft. Or are you assuming Sakic will turn those draft picks and cap space into someone elite at 50% retention?
Cap space we don’t need??

Next year, depending on EJ, we’re likely going to be extremely tight to the cap, while losing a player like Saad.

the depth is 100% going to take a hit next year. I’d absolutely rather get Donskoi’s 3.9 M in space to acquire a different 3rd liner in UFA. As can be seen, probably lots of players will be available due to the flat cap, at reasonable prices.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Cap space we don’t need??

Next year, depending on EJ, we’re likely going to be extremely tight to the cap, while losing a player like Saad.

the depth is 100% going to take a hit next year. I’d absolutely rather get Donskoi’s 3.9 M in space to acquire a different 3rd liner in UFA. As can be seen, probably lots of players will be available due to the flat cap, at reasonable prices.
The Avalanche NEED one of Graves, JTC or Donskoi to go. The expansion draft is the obvious avenue for that to happen for one of them.

I would love for it to be Donskoi or JTC, because I think Graves has the most trade value out of the three. The other two you might have to give away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad