Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avs Sign Devon Toews (4 Years, $4.1M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Everyone ignores that the Avs have been a dirty team. As a Wild fan, bring up any of the dirty hits or stupid things that the Avs have done and we get mocked instead of being a soft team. There is a reason why Minnesota employed Matt Cooke.

Except they have a better top 4.

Yes there was a reason the Wild signed Matt Cooke. And it says everything you need to know about the organization.

I'm glad the Parise Sutter core had the success that they did.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Matt Cooke was signed for "veteran leadership" after winning with Pitt. He even bullshitted his story about how that stuff wasn't a part of his game anymore. Sounds to me like a dumb signing thinking he's the last piece on a cup team, after they got Parise and Suter.

They brought in Cooke for their 3rd line, not for his veteran leadership. But McLeod, Johnson and Jones all took pretty big cheap shots at the Wild over the years and they were tired of it, especially since the NHL wouldn't do anything about it. Avs weren't the only ones, though but the most egregious.

They might have an arguably better top pairing, because Graves isn't great. But, I'll take Girard-Toews or Girard-EJ over any of their 2nd pairings. And third pairings aren't even close. And none of them have a Byram level prospect coming.

McNabb-Pietrangelo
Martinez-Theodore

I'd take Martinez-Theodore over Girard-Toews

Josi - Ellis
Ekholm - Fabbro

I'd definitely take Ekholm - Fabbro over Girard - Toews.

Third pairing is... Cole and who? Graves or who?

Yes there was a reason the Wild signed Matt Cooke. And it says everything you need to know about the organization.

I'm glad the Parise Sutter core had the success that they did.

Says the team that employed Patrick Roy.

I'm glad that Roy never got another ring.

Also says a lot about the fans when they don't even recognize that their team has had cheap short artists like McLeod employed by them.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
They brought in Cooke for their 3rd line, not for his veteran leadership. But McLeod, Johnson and Jones all took pretty big cheap shots at the Wild over the years and they were tired of it, especially since the NHL wouldn't do anything about it. Avs weren't the only ones, though but the most egregious.
Wait David Jones is who you've been upset about all this time? :laugh:

I'll give you McCleod he was an idiot who most hated that he still had a job, Johnson is far from a dirty player, suprised you didnt mention Landy who's the only player on the avs with an actual suspension history. And that equates to two bad hits who only the Ducks fans really have a reason to hate him.

Last edited:
Reactions: shadow1

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Everyone ignores that the Avs have been a dirty team. As a Wild fan, bring up any of the dirty hits or stupid things that the Avs have done and we get mocked instead of being a soft team. There is a reason why Minnesota employed Matt Cooke.

Except they have a better top 4.
No you’re right.
No bias here.
coming into a Devon Toews to Colorado contract signing to discuss how the Wild were shortchanged and overlooked by the league 7-8 years ago.

The wild signed Matt Cooke BEFORE the Avs won the central. They were legitimately last place in the central the year before.
But yeah, it makes sense that the Wild had to employ Matt Cooke to take care of the 6 times they played the Avs.
I also didn’t know that in order to curb cheap shots, nhl teams had to employ arguably the dirtiest cheap shot artist the modern NHl has seen.

Reactions: S3rkie

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Overrated how? He’s considered a 2nd pairing guy who the Avs will attempt to use with Makar. If it works, great. If it doesn’t, he’ll stay on the 2nd.

hes being treated and rated as a 2nd pair guy who might be able to play on the top pair. And he’s paid as such.

where’s the overrated part?

I don't see that working, honestly. I think he's more effective when he's the primary option, allowed to pinch and has a partner who is smart defensively, more a stay-at-home type. Could be wrong.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I don't see that working, honestly. I think he's more effective when he's the primary option, allowed to pinch and has a partner who is smart defensively, more a stay-at-home type. Could be wrong.
I keep seeing Isles fans saying that and I believe they know better than us. I guess they probably go with :
Girard-Makar
Toews-EJ

It looks more balanced.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
McNabb-Pietrangelo
Martinez-Theodore

Josi - Ellis
Ekholm - Fabbro

Pietrangelo and Theodore are Vegas' only two really good D. The rest are mediocre at best. McNabb had 9 points in 71 games last season. Martinez had 9 points in 41 games in LA. Not the best measure of a D, but the Avs top 4 combined for 126 points last year, with only Erik Johnson scoring fewer than 20 points. And the Avs allowed the 6th fewest goals in the NHL, so they couldn't be too bad defensively either.

For Nashville, it's close, but Fabbro is the weak link on the 2nd pairing. He's not bad, but he's definitely not on the same level as the other 3, nor would he likely be on the Avs 2nd pairing. I don't believe that Ekholm > Girard more than EJ/Toews > Fabbro, which makes the Avs the easy choice.

Our third pairing this season will likely be some combination of Graves, EJ, Cole and maybe Byram if he's ready, depending on how the other pairings shake out and who makes the team. Timmins is also a potential option.

Reactions: Linds

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

He can’t possibly pinch more and take more shots than Makar’s current partner, Ryan Graves.

Graves never saw a puck he didn’t want to shoot :laugh:

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

McNabb-Pietrangelo
Martinez-Theodore

Josi - Ellis
Ekholm - Fabbro

Also says a lot about the fans when they don't even recognize that their team has had cheap short artists like McLeod employed by them.

You don't mention Landeskog who's had at least 2 suspensions for hits to the head? And you're going back all the way to Roy but you don't even give a shout out to Claude Lemieux one of the top cheap shot artists ever.

That's as disappointing as the list of the Minnesota Wild's NHL accomplishments.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

McNabb-Pietrangelo
Martinez-Theodore

Josi - Ellis
Ekholm - Fabbro

Of all the guys you could say that about, I'm sure Patrick Roy is crying himself to bed he only managed 4 rings in his career.:laugh: It's like saying I'm glad Brady will never win another ring in his career.

That's about 4 more than the Minnesota Franchise if I'm doing my math correctly.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO

f***ing chambers lol id almost feel bad for him if he didnt have such a history of being a tool.

I've never really watched any of Toews in interviews, but the guy is pretty well spoken and seems like he's gonna fit in awesome personality wise.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Makar dragged Graves around all season.

i don’t think there’s anyone who would disagree that Toews is superior to Graves. And Graves is no defensive stalwart. The Avs play a very different game than the isles. I think in this system, Toews-Makar is going to be a handful for any team trying to defend.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
OP suggested it was silly that Edmundson, who is similar in skill if not better than Toews, costs 600k less and a 5th rounder instead of a 2nd rounder.

Contracts and associated transactions were about equal

I was being facetious in my response but i don't see much comparison honestly.

Edmundson was a UFA so he didn't have much trade value at all compared to Toews who was an RFA. Plus I'm not sure the skill levels are that similar either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad