Confirmed with Link: CODY Eakin to the jets

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
If I was Chevy, I would have taken a cap dump (expiring contract though) from another team looking to make a big move at the deadline to gain an asset and then scoured the waiver wire for "depth" forwards.

My disagreement with the trade is not only is it for a player who is struggling but also that it is for a pending UFA, a 3rd on a pending UFA d-man who is good is easier to swallow that paying that price for locking him up early before he hits FA is worth it. This move I simply do not understand. Shore has played well in that 4th line role.

Atleast he only gave up a 3rd at worst and he doesn't have any term on that contract which would have been bad. If this is the worst move of the deadline for the Jets then I can accept it, I don't like it but I can accept it.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
At least we were not on his no trade list.

giphy.gif

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Three things about the naysayers and complainers in this thread:

1. Hockey players are not a stable asset like gold or silver...They are really a consumable like food or gas. So we traded a potential player for a right now player...putting some extra gas in the tank to complete the trip now as opposed to maybe going on a trip in three years. the playoffs tend to favour teams with depth. This trade gives us depth.

2. In every single scenario I see people proposing...no one is talking about the expansion draft and it's implications. AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO CARES ABOUT THE EXPANSION DRAFT?!!!!(in my best Walter Sobchak voice)

3. We are a bad check away from dressing another AHLtweener/Rookie for the playoffs. I'll gladly throw an experienced NHL'r with playoff experience on our forth line over at least two of our current forth liners.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
That's pretty much it -
This trade provides a little depth on the bench in support of injuries and gives us options if we need to make a few line adjustments.

And this makes good sense. But I am a little troubled by Chevy`s remarks that this trade represents a "change in direction" .... ? Chevy seems to be of the view that we need more character and specially grit to be a good team. Maurice of course heavily advocates for this type of player. Hope they don`t go too far down this new road when making player selection , or player utilization, decisions.

Reactions: hn777 and Gm0ney

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
So much exasperation for what will likely be a 4th round pick. Less than 7% of 4th rounders play in the NHL, and most of them are in the bottom half of their team's depth chart. For 3rd rounders it's about 30%.

If Eakins fits in, contributes and we sign him, we have a guy who is mature but not old who can do some of the things people loathe around here (hit, forecheck, disturb, disrupt) for a 1 in 3 shot of getting that player 3 years down the road.

If he doesn't, we gave up a 7% shot of getting a similar player in that time frame.

Our 4th line stinks. Shore is OK, Shaw is awful and Bourque, though I like him more than most around here - should not be on the roster either. I feel like we are probably not seeing either Lowry or Perreault back. If Eakins can play a Tanev style (which we've missed) and we play Chibisov and Shore with him, that's a 4th line that might actually get some minutes, chip in offensively, and could become very important in the playoffs.

If it doesn't work out I am not going to be fussing over the 2024 4th liner that got away.

EDIT: just looked again, and it's only 8.4% of NHL players being drafted in the 3rd round.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Unless Vegas and the Jets have a deal in place to do something in the summer, Chevy was taken bad on this trade. Vegas was trying hard to dump his salary because first he has been brutal this year and second they need to make room to try and get Gustafsson from Chicago and get Cody Glass back up from the minors. They should have given the Jets the fourth pick and the Jets give a 5th in return for taking his contract.
Taken bad on this trade?

It's like you and I in real life - I sell you an avocado that is pretty ripe and edible with a few blemishes for a seed that might grow a blemished avocado in 3 years.

At the end of the day it's a f***ing avocado - it's not going to change anyones life. This is a minor deal that might give the Jets a bit of a push.

What people are not talking about is the fact this team is missing consistent effort and focus every night, and has been getting pushed around quite a bit. Eakin isn't the solution here but a few more players who have a bit of forcefulness in their games could definitely help.

I think people underestimate what a guy like Beaulieu has been bringing to the team. Sure, he handles the puck like a grenade sometimes but he brings the passion and physical play - I think he has a quiet hand in the turnaround we've seen since the All Star Break.

Surprises me that people consistently ignore or downplay psychological impacts to hockey when they have such a huge influence.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Jets just need to dump Kuli, Perrault, Wheeler and Niku and we’ll be doin all right! Man. Bring back a top 4 D man and some picks and we’re good!
Kulikov has been very good for us recently. Niku has a place on this roster too. Wheeler is Wheeler, when he's on he really drives team success - and I love his emotion and passion.

Perreault is a player who I've never been as excited about as others - I think he's overpaid and doesn't really have a spot on this team. We have too many top 6 forwards and he's not a great bottom 6 guy.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Taken bad on this trade?

It's like you and I in real life - I sell you an avocado that is pretty ripe and edible with a few blemishes for a seed that might grow a blemished avocado in 3 years.

At the end of the day it's a f*cking avocado - it's not going to change anyones life. This is a minor deal that might give the Jets a bit of a push.

What people are not talking about is the fact this team is missing consistent effort and focus every night, and has been getting pushed around quite a bit. Eakin isn't the solution here but a few more players who have a bit of forcefulness in their games could definitely help.

I think people underestimate what a guy like Beaulieu has been bringing to the team. Sure, he handles the puck like a grenade sometimes but he brings the passion and physical play - I think he has a quiet hand in the turnaround we've seen since the All Star Break.

Surprises me that people consistently ignore or downplay psychological impacts to hockey when they have such a huge influence.

If Eakin is an avocado, then the Jets are toast. :nod:

Reactions: Jets 31 and Jet

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Taken bad on this trade?

At the end of the day it's a f*cking avocado - it's not going to change anyones life. This is a minor deal that might give the Jets a bit of a push.

I agree with this point and it can be a dividing topic when discussing the make up of this team.
I don't think we want to load up on grit but we do need a couple of players like this - and then hope it rubs off on the rest, including (if not primarily) the skilled top 6 group.
There is absolutely no doubt that we do not consistently bring the effort every night - this type of player usually does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jet

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I can somewhat begrudgingly understand Chevy`s interest in securing Eakin when Vegas called -but the final negotiated exchange of a possible 3rd is imo on the high side. Chevy was in a position of strength, and knew or ought to have known, that McCrimmon was trying very hard to move Eakin for quite some time so as to clear cap space for a potential move this TDL(Gustafsson from Chicago?). In such circumstance, all the leverage was with Chevy. Why would Chevy do McCrimmon a solid - especially with the history of Vegas making things as difficult as possible for us in previous trade considerations over the years?

The 3rd is only if they make the playoffs, which would be good, or if they re-sign him, which theoretically isn't bad (though dangerous).

You're also assuming Vegas called the Jets asking to deal Eakin - perhaps it was the other way around?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Taken bad on this trade?

Numbers mean everything to some . :laugh: :laugh:

Reactions: Jet

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
The 3rd is only if they make the playoffs, which would be good, or if they re-sign him, which theoretically isn't bad (though dangerous).

You're also assuming Vegas called the Jets asking to deal Eakin - perhaps it was the other way around?

I believe Chevy indicated in his presser that Vegas called him just around the time that we secured DeMelo and that things moved quite swiftly at that point. Perhaps I heard this incorrectly though.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We will always disagree on the bolded. Players like being on teams trying to win. There is a reason you have to clean out all the vets when you rebuild. Careers are short and once players can start controlling where they play they look for a place to win or a certain type of lifestyle. That leaves winning for us if we want to attract and keep players.

The thing is KB, that there are different ways of trying to win. You used words like 'trying your best to win every year' as describing something that players demand if they are going to stay with a team. That would mean that Chevy should be out there shopping Samberg, Heinola, Rosie, Archie and our next 10 1st rd picks to turn this year's Jets into a can't miss team. Except, of course, he would not have any of those assets as they would all have been traded away in previous years.

I realize that I am taking your words to an extreme, but it is to illustrate a valid point. Trying your best to win as often as possible makes more sense than trying your best to win EVERY year.

I think you put massively too much weight on messages to the room. Spending extremely valuable assets on moderately valuable assets in order to prove you are committed to winning is a recipe for losing. It will deplete your asset pool such that you can never get there. Players are aware of a team moving in the right direction. We often hear of players wanting to stick around for the good years they see coming. TD rentals are not the only way to show your players you are willing to do what it takes to win. And they send the message that the existing group is not good enough. How do you think Bryan Little saw those rentals the last 2 years?

Perhaps you are right that we will never agree. We can still discuss the issue, though there may not be much left to say. :)

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The best part of this trade is it frees up some cap space so Vegas can try to add at the deadline.

Very neighbourly of the Jets to help out this hardscrabble expansion franchise that everyone here is pulling for... :sarcasm:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The best part of this trade is it frees up some cap space so Vegas can try to add at the deadline.

Very neighbourly of the Jets to help out this hardscrabble expansion franchise that everyone here is pulling for... :sarcasm:

If the playoffs started today, it would be the Knights vs. the Jets. They add Martinez and Gustafsson? Lose how many picks? Lose Eakin.

We add De Melo and Eakin, lose 2 draft picks in consecutive years. Have the cap space to re-sign both. Without having to move anyone (maybe buyout Perreault?).

Give me a healthy Lowry, get Sbisa back, and I think we have a chance against them. We matched up good earlier in the year. Reaves showed that Lowry is tougher. Eakin could be a game changer.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Taken bad on this trade?

The trade in isolation is nothing. The fact that it essentially does a favour for a rival if we are contending in terms of both opening up cap space and a roster spot that they will use to acquire a better player than they have on D plus allowing them to call up a replacement for Eakin who is better AND probably takes the Jets all but out of the depth trade market is more significant IMO. It's not that losing the 3rd or 4th rounder is such an issue, it's what that same asset could potentially bring back in terms of a legit middle 6 forward rental on the current trade market.

I believe the Jets have overvalue Eakin who is walking through the door right now. People will point to not too distant play that he's been able to sustain a few years ago, but the peaks are high and the valleys are deep on guys at the end of their prime. We've experienced this in desperation repeatedly (Mittens, Jokinen, Setoguchi, Stafford...).

Simply put, Eakin doesn't move the needle for us at all. We have lots of Eakin already.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
If the playoffs started today, it would be the Knights vs. the Jets. They add Martinez and Gustafsson? Lose how many picks? Lose Eakin.

We add De Melo and Eakin, lose 2 draft picks in consecutive years. Have the cap space to re-sign both. Without having to move anyone (maybe buyout Perreault?).

Give me a healthy Lowry, get Sbisa back, and I think we have a chance against them. We matched up good earlier in the year. Reaves showed that Lowry is tougher. Eakin could be a game changer.

They have the cap space to make additions but also dress their best roster now, Cody Glass will be up and he can be a difference maker matching up vs our middle 6. They'll sic Stone on our big line and just suck the life out of us 5 on 5. Our PP would have to dominate and our PK would have to be at least average (for the league not for them) to have a chance to get into 6-7 games. I'd much rather face any of the Canadian teams, none of them are deep at all and best on best we have a chance. STL, Vegas and Colorado are real tough matchups IMO.

Reactions: hn777

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The trade in isolation is nothing. The fact that it essentially does a favour for a rival if we are contending in terms of both opening up cap space and a roster spot that they will use to acquire a better player than they have on D plus allowing them to call up a replacement for Eakin who is better AND probably takes the Jets all but out of the depth trade market is more significant IMO. It's not that losing the 3rd or 4th rounder is such an issue, it's what that same asset could potentially bring back in terms of a legit middle 6 forward rental on the current trade market.

I believe the Jets have overvalue Eakin who is walking through the door right now. People will point to not too distant play that he's been able to sustain a few years ago, but the peaks are high and the valleys are deep on guys at the end of their prime. We've experienced this in desperation repeatedly (Mittens, Jokinen, Setoguchi, Stafford...).

Simply put, Eakin doesn't move the needle for us at all. We have lots of Eakin already.
You make a solid argument but forgive me if I wait until Eakin plays for the Jets before I pass judgement.

I did that with Pionk and it turned out pretty nicely.

PS 22 goals last year is not the distant future. I don't expect Eakin to score at that rate but if he can be part of a fourth line that can stay above water and chip in occasionally that will be a lot better than what we've had around here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad