Confirmed with Link: CODY Eakin to the jets

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
The pick itself is whatever. However as it was brought up on a TSN show, this helps Vegas to make a potential move. Jets could be facing them in the playoffs.

It may also allow Chevy to move a young 3rd line forward in a package for a defenceman, knowing that he has Eakin as extra depth. Also, combine that with Little being out for the year and with the uncertainty surrounding the health of Lowry and Perreault, this was a good move.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
That does seem like a weird way to celebrate joining a new team, although by most accounts the Knights were a tight group. Hopefully he likes the Jets just as much.
Yeah just found it strange. Need to straighten this kid out and get all the Golden Showers out of him.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Dimes, nickels and quarters aren't worthless either but they aren't getting a lot either.

Picks are nice but 3rds and 4ths are getting into the territory of worthwhile gamble.

Not saying they are not worthwhile gambles. It is 3rd rd and later that I consider acceptable for rentals. I'm quite happy with DeMelo. Wait and see about Eakin. But a lot of people here keep painting them as practically worthless, to be thrown away. Lowry was a 3rd, Copp a 4th. Hellebuyck and Poolman were 5ths. Definitely not worthless.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It may also allow Chevy to move a young 3rd line forward in a package for a defenceman, knowing that he has Eakin as extra depth. Also, combine that with Little being out for the year and with the uncertainty surrounding the health of Lowry and Perreault, this was a good move.
Agreed. I think the hit our center depth has taken in recent weeks seems to be mostly over looked in the Eakin discussion. Little gone for the season and with big question marks around Lowry's health has left us very thin down the middle. After Scheifele and Copp it is pretty makeshift.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Chevy trades Perreault for another player and a 3rd round pick or for a 3rd and a 7th, it’s a wash. Just one example but there are always ways to level it off. Not that I’m overly worried if he does or not.

This is simple arithmetic. If you trade something away you have given up something. You can't get that back by trading something else away. Trading is generally a zero sum game. Trading for rentals is generally something less than a zero sum.

The thing is that these mid to late rd picks have pretty low value to begin with. We don't need to get an awful lot back to at least get back to zero, or better.

But I object to the idea that you can trade away assets and then later get them back by trading away other assets. That is the thinking that we didn't lose a 1st in the Hayes trade because we later got it back in the Trouba trade. We didn't. It cost us Trouba.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I can somewhat begrudgingly understand Chevy`s interest in securing Eakin when Vegas called -but the final negotiated exchange of a possible 3rd is imo on the high side. Chevy was in a position of strength, and knew or ought to have known, that McCrimmon was trying very hard to move Eakin for quite some time so as to clear cap space for a potential move this TDL(Gustafsson from Chicago?). In such circumstance, all the leverage was with Chevy. Why would Chevy do McCrimmon a solid - especially with the history of Vegas making things as difficult as possible for us in previous trade considerations over the years?

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
OMG, just figured it out. Eakin is a Trojan horse sent to Winnipeg by Vegas to help screw us over. I can see it now, playing Vegas in the playoffs. Eakin repeatedly takes bad penalties, loses key face offs and leaves his man wide open on scoring chances. Vegas eliminates the Jets.:sarcasm:

F*** Vegas

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
This is simple arithmetic. If you trade something away you have given up something. You can't get that back by trading something else away. Trading is generally a zero sum game. Trading for rentals is generally something less than a zero sum.

The thing is that these mid to late rd picks have pretty low value to begin with. We don't need to get an awful lot back to at least get back to zero, or better.

But I object to the idea that you can trade away assets and then later get them back by trading away other assets. That is the thinking that we didn't lose a 1st in the Hayes trade because we later got it back in the Trouba trade. We didn't. It cost us Trouba.
Object all you like, it’s just a matter of perceived value. Losing Eakins would be a loss of that pick, trading another player for an equal player and a 3rd round pick would compensate for that. Any time you trade an asset for two assets, it’s an add for you. I don’t see what’s so complicated about that. The difference with the Hayes/pick/Trouba trade is how much we gave up to get Hayes and the 1st round pick/Pionk, at the time seemed equal value for Trouba, which funny enough, hasn’t really worked out that way.

Trades are rarely ever simple arithmetic however.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Notice the drop off in this admittedly older chart --somewhere in the early third round expected points/GP drops below 0.1
Eakins has scored ~ o.4 P/GP in the 5 seasons leading up to this one, making him much more valuable than the average 3rd rounder by that metric.
Add to that his PK prowess, age, leadership and versatility and you have a pretty solid (if unspectacular) acquisition in exchange for modest & uncertain future draft value. Keep in mind Eakins also has potential future value.
chart22.jpg

As far as I am concerned, this is the only type of trade Chevy should be pursuing this year, because of the limited opportunity cost it entails.

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB
That does seem like a weird way to celebrate joining a new team, although by most accounts the Knights were a tight group. Hopefully he likes the Jets just as much.

Standard procedure - say goodbye to the old team, then say in your first interview you are "excited" to move from Nevada to Manitoba in February.

Reactions: Jedub

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Notice the drop off in this admittedly older chart --somewhere in the early third round expected points/GP drops below 0.1
Eakins has scored ~ o.4 P/GP in the 5 seasons leading up to this one, making him much more valuable than the average 3rd rounder by that metric.
Add to that his PK prowess, age, leadership and versatility and you have a pretty solid (if unspectacular) acquisition in exchange for modest & uncertain future draft value. Keep in mind Eakins also has potential future value.
View attachment 324987
As far as I am concerned, this is the only type of trade Chevy should be pursuing this year, because of the limited opportunity cost it entails.

Good post!

The more I think about this deal the more I like it.

Last year I wanted us to go for Charlie Coyle, someone that could be dealt for without using a first round pick, plays a gritty game, brings some physicality to the team. The analytical crowd roasted me for suggesting it.

Coyle killed it in playoffs last year, playing physical and putting up points. You win in playoffs with players like Coyle, like Eakins. If this costs us a 3rd it will be most likely because the trade worked well for us. If it fails we lose a 4rth, which is well worth the risk.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Object all you like, it’s just a matter of perceived value. Losing Eakins would be a loss of that pick, trading another player for an equal player and a 3rd round pick would compensate for that. Any time you trade an asset for two assets, it’s an add for you. I don’t see what’s so complicated about that. The difference with the Hayes/pick/Trouba trade is how much we gave up to get Hayes and the 1st round pick/Pionk, at the time seemed equal value for Trouba, which funny enough, hasn’t really worked out that way.

Trades are rarely ever simple arithmetic however.

No need to debate it any further. Not that big a thing.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I know we have discussed this before, but all teams have far more assets then could ever possibly turn into players for them. If draft picks were just used to draft players and never traded the vast majority of them would end up having no value at the end of the day since the vast majority of the 217 drafted 18 year olds each year never turn into NHL hockey players. Part of the value of picks is the are used as trade currency among GM's. Would a GM be better off if they never traded a draft pick? No one knows since no GM has held on to every pick at their disposal.

And you add into this the unknown positive value of bringing in help at the TD in actual players has on your current players who want a chance to win now and care nothing for future draft picks. Would you end up losing your stars as they reached their UFA years if they believed every effort wasn't being made to win each and every year?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I know we have discussed this before, but all teams have far more assets then could ever possibly turn into players for them. If draft picks were just used to draft players and never traded the vast majority of them would end up having no value at the end of the day since the vast majority of the 217 drafted 18 year olds each year never turn into NHL hockey players. Part of the value of picks is the are used as trade currency among GM's. Would a GM be better off if they never traded a draft pick? No one knows since no GM has held on to every pick at their disposal.

And you add into this the unknown positive value of bringing in help at the TD in actual players has on your current players who want a chance to win now and care nothing for future draft picks. Would you end up losing your stars as they reached their UFA years if they believed every effort wasn't being made to win each and every year?

All of the draft picks get used by one team or another. Yes, they are used as currency. But there are still the limited number of them, 7 per team per year. Virtually all of the players come from that pool. No one knows ahead of time which picks will turn out well and which won't. Everybody knows the odds for each pick from 1 to 217.

There are different ways for teams to try and win. There are different messages attached to everything a team does or does not do. Different players will take things differently. I think a GM who makes his decisions based on some perception of sending messages to the room is doomed to fail.

Reactions: hn777

rkp

Mar 31, 2011

then why are he jets always going thru the waiver wire to pick up players if they have so many assets?

Reactions: hn777

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Standard procedure - say goodbye to the old team, then say in your first interview you are "excited" to move from Nevada to Manitoba in February.

Standard procedure to literally get the old team's logo permanently marked on your body? :naughty:

Reactions: angrymnky

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Agreed. I think the hit our center depth has taken in recent weeks seems to be mostly over looked in the Eakin discussion. Little gone for the season and with big question marks around Lowry's health has left us very thin down the middle. After Scheifele and Copp it is pretty makeshift.

That's pretty much it -
This trade provides a little depth on the bench in support of injuries and gives us options if we need to make a few line adjustments.

Reactions: Jets 31

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
At this point so far this spring we have still preserved our 1st and 2nd round picks. Hopefully that trend continues. If we can sign DeMelo to a new contract I will be really happy. That would be excellent asset management turning a 3rd round pick into a #4 D man.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
then why are he jets always going thru the waiver wire to pick up players if they have so many assets?
At that point they had all their cap space tied up with the Buff situation. They had no cap space unless they went dollar in for dollar out. Now they have cap space where they can bring in a player without having to move out an equal amount of salary.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
this team needs a true 2nd line center....something we should have had by now, eakins is probably a better player than ma.pearrault, who is hopefully on the way out....am wondering a lowry's shoulder and if its gonna be a problem for the future.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
All of the draft picks get used by one team or another. Yes, they are used as currency. But there are still the limited number of them, 7 per team per year. Virtually all of the players come from that pool. No one knows ahead of time which picks will turn out well and which won't. Everybody knows the odds for each pick from 1 to 217.

There are different ways for teams to try and win. There are different messages attached to everything a team does or does not do. Different players will take things differently. I think a GM who makes his decisions based on some perception of sending messages to the room is doomed to fail.
We will always disagree on the bolded. Players like being on teams trying to win. There is a reason you have to clean out all the vets when you rebuild. Careers are short and once players can start controlling where they play they look for a place to win or a certain type of lifestyle. That leaves winning for us if we want to attract and keep players.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Exactly, any type of trade at this time of year the majority of the time is going to be involving a pending UFA, and if we are going to fill any of our holes along with using the extra Space we have, then we’re going to be trading for pending UFA’s.

You cannot call Chevy out for not addressing our holes, then call him out for filling them the only way he can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad