Confirmed with Link: CODY Eakin to the jets

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The best part of this trade is it frees up some cap space so Vegas can try to add at the deadline.

Very neighbourly of the Jets to help out this hardscrabble expansion franchise that everyone here is pulling for... :sarcasm:
Hoping that Vegas trades more futures for an overvalued rental. Chevy playing the long game...

Reactions: Duke749

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Intriguing small reclamation project at low (imho) cost that might help us make the playoffs and generate that oh so valuable tingly feeling, and at least one round of even more valuable playoff revenues for TNSE! ;)

I'm not being smarmy about the playoff revenues thing; seriously revenues help keep this team in town and I like that.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Intriguing small reclamation project at low (imho) cost that might help us make the playoffs and generate that oh so valuable tingly feeling, and at least one round of even more valuable playoff revenues for TNSE! ;)

I'm not being smarmy about the playoff revenues thing; seriously revenues help keep this team in town.

I totally agree --a small franchise like the Jets really need those playoff revenues --difference between operating losses or profits, so I hope we make the cut.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I've been advocating that the Jets wait until the offseason to reload, but I understand the logic behind the low cost acquisitions of DeMelo and Eakin. The Jets have moved into playoff contention despite all the injuries. They have a top grade goalie and forward talent and depth. That can be a recipe for success in the playoffs. I don't see formidable teams in the West this season.

Eakin is a flawed player, but he has attributes that might be useful on the Jets. Lowry needs a fast, aggressive winger with a bit of finish to be effective. Anything that keeps Bourque off his line is a bonus. When Lowry and Perreault are back, Maurice will have some good depth and speed in the bottom 6.

Laine is showing signs of being an impact forward that could be a difference maker in the playoffs. Wheeler and Scheifele have another gear, I hope.

If the Jets don't make the playoffs they will still have the inside track on signing a useful RD in DeMelo, and haven't really given up major assets.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
If I was Chipman I would not be happy that we are paying Eakin's full salary. Considering the price we paid to acquire him, surely we could have at the very least had Vegas retain 50% on his salary.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The trade in isolation is nothing. The fact that it essentially does a favour for a rival if we are contending in terms of both opening up cap space and a roster spot that they will use to acquire a better player than they have on D plus allowing them to call up a replacement for Eakin who is better AND probably takes the Jets all but out of the depth trade market is more significant IMO. It's not that losing the 3rd or 4th rounder is such an issue, it's what that same asset could potentially bring back in terms of a legit middle 6 forward rental on the current trade market.

I believe the Jets have overvalue Eakin who is walking through the door right now. People will point to not too distant play that he's been able to sustain a few years ago, but the peaks are high and the valleys are deep on guys at the end of their prime. We've experienced this in desperation repeatedly (Mittens, Jokinen, Setoguchi, Stafford...).

Simply put, Eakin doesn't move the needle for us at all. We have lots of Eakin already.

Well said. People keep making the argument that "there is only a small x% chance that that 3rd rounder would be an NHL player" but ignore the opportunity cost of that 3.8 million caphit and the roster spot. At the very least we should have made it hurt for Vegas to dump that cap.

Even if there were no other middle 6 forwards available we could have used that capspace to facilitate a trade for a contender and get an asset back in the process.

Taken bad on this trade?

It's like you and I in real life - I sell you an avocado that is pretty ripe and edible with a few blemishes for a seed that might grow a blemished avocado in 3 years.

At the end of the day it's a f*cking avocado - it's not going to change anyones life. This is a minor deal that might give the Jets a bit of a push.

They helped out Vegas for nothing in return. The Jets should not be helping out a a rival like Vegas for no reason without being appropriately compensated. Chevy and Bergevin are friends and there is no rivalry between us and the Habs, yet Bergevin took no mercy on us when we had to dump the Mason contract. Why are we helping out Vegas esp considering how difficult life that franchise has made for us with the XD then with Brassard, then with Statsny and then with Stone? They were going to be in a tough spot as they are big game hunting at the deadline and are right up against the cap.

Last edited:

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Why?

Why did Vegas trade away Eakin right now while in the playoff hunt - and to a conference rival?

Is it because he has the worst simple stats (GF%, goals/60 at 5v5) as well as underlying numbers of all Vegas forwards?

Did they see him as a cap dump, and instead of paying to get rid of an almost $4m contract, they now have a good chance of getting a 3rd rounder?

So many questions, I guess we'll have some answers post-season.

IMO, this trade makes a lot of sense.... for Vegas.

Cap space is huge, and I'd much rather have stocked up on high draft picks by taking cap dumps instead of paying for Eakin.

I liked the DeMelo trade, but not this one. I hope his play will pick up when he returns "home to Winnipeg".

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Being #2 in man games missed in the NHL, and until Buff comes off the books being a cap team with not bunch of solutions in the AHL will result in picking from the discard bin to fill holes ......
giphy.gif

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Well said. People keep making the argument that "there is only a small x% chance that that 3rd rounder would be an NHL player" but ignore the opportunity cost of that 3.8 million caphit and the roster spot. At the very least we should have made it hurt for Vegas to dump that cap.

Even if there were no other middle 6 forwards available we could have used that capspace to facilitate a trade for a contender and get an asset back in the process.

They helped out Vegas for nothing in return. The Jets should not be helping out a a rival like Vegas for no reason without being appropriately compensated. Chevy and Bergevin are friends and there is no rivalry between us and the Habs, yet Bergevin took no mercy on us when we had to dump the Mason contract. Why are we helping out Vegas esp considering how difficult life that franchise has made for us with the XD then with Brassard, then with Statsny and then with Stone? They were going to be in a tough spot as they are big game hunting at the deadline and are right up against the cap.
A couple counter points. Chevy isn't short on cap space to pursue whoever he wants on the final run up to the TD. As of this morning Chevy has $3.74 M of actual cap space which translates to $17.4 M of deadline cap space. Therefore Eakins $3.8 M cap hit is only a small part of what Chevy has available since it is prorated as deadline cap space. This puts Chevy in a much better position to go "big game" hunting if he should choose over LV who only has $4.7 M of deadline cap space.

Second while having a down year Eakins has a track record of being a pretty effective player and most certainly will be better on the 4th line than either one of Bourque, Shaw or Shore. This makes us a better team today over a 2021 3rd or 4th round pick. With Little done for the season and significant injuries to MP and Lowry our forward depth has taken a big hit and needs to be filled. Filling this would cost approx a mid round pick if it was to come from LV or somewhere else.

Third, you would think after so many people rushing out to condemn Pionk as a worthless player before actually watching him play they would wait and watch a player for themselves before pronouncing them as useless.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I suspect that Chevy does not see Vegas as our primary rival. They are leading their division, whereas we will be hard pressed to get a wild card spot. Our rivals atm are Arizona, Calgary and Nashville. If we can get a leg up on 2 of them and sneak into the playoffs without selling the farm, that would be an accomplishment, given our current roster.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
A couple counter points. Chevy isn't short on cap space to pursue whoever he wants on the final run up to the TD. As of this morning Chevy has $3.74 M of actual cap space which translates to $17.4 M of deadline cap space. Therefore Eakins $3.8 M cap hit is only a small part of what Chevy has available since it is prorated as deadline cap space. This puts Chevy in a much better position to go "big game" hunting if he should choose over LV who only has $4.7 M of deadline cap space.

Second while having a down year Eakins has a track record of being a pretty effective player and most certainly will be better on the 4th line than either one of Bourque, Shaw or Shore. This makes us a better team today over a 2021 3rd or 4th round pick. With Little done for the season and significant injuries to MP and Lowry our forward depth has taken a big hit and needs to be filled. Filling this would cost approx a mid round pick if it was to come from LV or somewhere else.

Third, you would think after so many people rushing out to condemn Pionk as a worthless player before actually watching him play they would wait and watch a player for themselves before pronouncing them as useless.
Great post and if you want really good humor , go and take another look at the Pionk trade thread again . I did yesterday and giggled my ass off . :laugh:

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba

I think at some point Eakins will see time centering the second line. Hoping he runs with it.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Nothing in return? We got Eakin.

I don't give a shit about Vegas - I want to improve the Jets because if we can fix a couple of areas, we have a stronger roster than them. We have far more top end talent than they do.

I'm not interested in worrying about what our competition is doing. If the deal helps us, then pull the trigger.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Why?

Why did Vegas trade away Eakin right now while in the playoff hunt - and to a conference rival?

Is it because he has the worst simple stats (GF%, goals/60 at 5v5) as well as underlying numbers of all Vegas forwards?

Did they see him as a cap dump, and instead of paying to get rid of an almost $4m contract, they now have a good chance of getting a 3rd rounder?

Cap space is huge, and I'd much rather have stocked up on high draft picks by taking cap dumps instead of paying for Eakin.

I liked the DeMelo trade, but not this one. I hope his play will pick up when he returns "home to Winnipeg".
Chevy has shown time and time again that he is capable of making shrewd moves that may not be in line with what forum members want or like.

Just because a player is moved by a team does not mean they are not good, nor useful. It means that that organization is perhaps strong in that area. Losing Eakins makes sense for Vegas because they want to go after other needs and they probably have someone in their org that they feel can step in cheaper and get the job done.

We on the other hand have Bourque and Shaw as regulars.

A deal can benefit both teams - it has happened before.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Why?

Only way I can imagine it is if there was some competition to acquire Eakins. As in someone was interested in him, and Chevy had to make a better offer. Otherwise, I'd imagine that we would have received more in a trade for him.

I, personally, would have passed and used the assets to try to sign someone else, adding as necessary. Surely there would have been another forward the Jets could have grabbed that wouldn't have costed a 1st, 2nd, or one of our prospects who would have been as good (if not better) for the cost?

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
The trade in isolation is nothing. The fact that it essentially does a favour for a rival if we are contending in terms of both opening up cap space and a roster spot that they will use to acquire a better player than they have on D plus allowing them to call up a replacement for Eakin who is better AND probably takes the Jets all but out of the depth trade market is more significant IMO. It's not that losing the 3rd or 4th rounder is such an issue, it's what that same asset could potentially bring back in terms of a legit middle 6 forward rental on the current trade market.

I believe the Jets have overvalue Eakin who is walking through the door right now. People will point to not too distant play that he's been able to sustain a few years ago, but the peaks are high and the valleys are deep on guys at the end of their prime. We've experienced this in desperation repeatedly (Mittens, Jokinen, Setoguchi, Stafford...).

Simply put, Eakin doesn't move the needle for us at all. We have lots of Eakin already.

We have lots of Eakins? We have lots of 40 point players who play a gritty game? Then why are Shaw and Bourque playing a regular shift?

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I think at some point Eakins will see time centering the second line. Hoping he runs with it.

Think about what that would do for us if he could run with Laine and Connor.

We could keep the Roslovic line together as our 4rth unit , and run with Perrault Lowry and Copp as our 3rd line.

That could give us 4 solid lines down the stretch, but everyone needs to stay healthy which seems impossible this season.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If I was Chipman I would not be happy that we are paying Eakin's full salary. Considering the price we paid to acquire him, surely we could have at the very least had Vegas retain 50% on his salary.
How much are we paying him (prorated)? It can't be that much and considering we saved like 7MM this year I doubt chipper is worried

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad