Cody Ceci sued for 8 million for freak accident

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Well, I think paying damages on something that is not your fault is a punishment.

Should car companies be liable if someone drives drunk or goes twice the speed limit, and kills a bunch of people? I dont think so.
I hope his lawyer rather relies on the Chewbacca defence than that analogy.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
That's a horrible thing to happen...

... Cody also shouldn't be financially responsible because other people had an accident at a party he was hosting. It'd be one thing if it was something preventable that he neglected to do as a homeowner. It's not.
I think you can come at this two ways.

To your first point, that Ceci shouldn't be held financially responsible -- in other words ,that it's not fair that he pays the price for this accident. I think I could make a much much stronger argument that the young burn victim shouldn't have had to pay the emotional and physical price that she did. Ceci owned the property -- if it comes down to the question of "fair", his situation is a bargain compared to hers. Regardless of whether his insurance ponies up $8M or not.

To the second point, i.e. the responsibilities of the homeowner. Any "firepit" that requires you to fill it with liquid ethanol sounds like a bad idea to me. Regardless, if I decide to buy one, I can't just then let any old dimwit fill and ignite the thing. Including someone who, when things get intense, just flings a lit bottle of ethanol any which way. I mean, I get it that it went south quickly, but she threw a lit bottle of ethanol at another person. Obviously she didn't do it on purpose, but if you're signing people up for me to share a foxhole with, please eliminate that one from the pool. Yikes.

felixpettersson

Dec 16, 2016
Gothenburg
I know im European, but im having a hard time seeing why Ceci (or anybody really) owe her money, even though what she's went through is really horrible. It was an accident afterall. Insurance money is one thing, but suing him??

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Sorry I'm not in law on my end so I have questions regarding this.

How do you estimate or calculate loss income from a business succeeding without the owner present and a business succeeding with the owner present. Sounds like you're saying if a business succeeds without the owner then there is little to no case for a lawsuit.

I imagine the business would be succeeding even greatly with her being present since she handles meetings and builds rapport with the clients she brings in.

Surely she is a loss to her own company

It's a complicated one, there would be actuaries and financial analysts involved making a case that the accident will cause her to lose $6m. That's going to be tough to prove with the business surviving and her likely going to be able to return to it. My guess was that they're going to come in with sky high growth projections and state that they are completely derailed and unrecoverable. I'm skeptical to say the least, but you can make a case. The family damages are nonsense though.

It's a shock and awe number to get a good settlement. When you see the pictures, hear the horror, and feel sympathy $8m seems like a good number, but when you go through the claims line by line it falls apart.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
That's a horrible thing to happen...

... Cody also shouldn't be financially responsible because other people had an accident at a party he was hosting. It'd be one thing if it was something preventable that he neglected to do as a homeowner. It's not.
Defining liability in accidents isn’t even close to as simple as you are trying to make it sound like here. There are legal responsibilities for different parties that can be connected to the accident, and being the owner of the premises and the equipment that caused the accident is already a pretty strong connection. And if you have evidently been neglecting precautions and supervising people using dangerous equipment, it is even a stronger connection. Also being intoxicated and letting other intoxicated people use the dangerous equipment, can really make the case of liability much stronger.

Liability doesn’t have to be intentionally and straightforwardly caused damage. It can often be defined as an owner of premises or property simply neglecting precautions for safety and not properly supervising the usage of dangerous equipment in his/her premises.

The judge and the court will off course be the ones defining after all if the connections to the caused damage are strong enough to see liability, but to think that liability is as simple as someone intentionally or straightforwardly causing damage to someone else is simply misinformed and lacking understanding of the whole consept of being liable for occured damage.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Sure. Which is why I'm most certainly going to see this story through to the end, if and when that information is released. Doesn't mean we can't speculate in the mean while though.

It will almost certainly settle before trial and nothing will be released publicly.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I know im European, but im having a hard time seeing why Ceci (or anybody really) owe her money, even though what she's went through is really horrible. It was an accident afterall. Insurance money is one thing, but suing him??

You don't sue the insurance company, you sue the policy holders and since it was their home Ceci would be a party to that. It's even possible that Ceci and his partner are in complete cooperation with the lawsuit so that insurance will cover her losses but you still have to go through the motions.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Yeah the victim in this case deserves justice and cash. But no from Ceci. If I murdered Jugitsu at ToDavid's home, Jugitsu's family couldn't sue ToDavid for justice and cash.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Frivolous lawsuits can be raised anywhere, and this may shock you, but they get dismissed in the U.S . as well. I get that this may be difficult to grasp to simpletons who generalize.

They are far, far,far more frequent in the US vs most places in the world.

It's pretty much a fact, and there have been studies done on it. Google it. the number of cases brought against individuals and companies is higher, the average amounts spent on litigation in the US is roughly double.

But, you know, I'm just a simpleton that generalizes. so don't mind me.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Well, I think paying damages on something that is not your fault is a punishment.

Should car companies be liable if someone drives drunk or goes twice the speed limit, and kills a bunch of people? I dont think so.
Your example is very misinformed and misleading. You should rather ask if the owner of the car should be liable for an accident when someone drinks and drives with his car, if the car owner himself has allowed that person to drive with his car. I can assure you that there would be liability, and most probably at least partially coverage to the damage from his traffic liability insurance. Of course in Finland this insurance is compulsory to every single registered car or any motor vehicle for that matter.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Is that the common practice?

It depends on which part you mean. The settlement amount is sometimes confidential and sometimes not. In this type of case I would say it probably would be. The underlying arguments including analyses of her lost income and other things like that would definitely not be released under a settlement. There might be some limited information in her court documents but probably not a lot.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
How much is she realistically going to get out of that 8 million? Obviously she deserves something for her trouble, but millions seem a little excessive, no? Though that's the NA style of things I suppose.

Seriously???? Something for her trouble? Milions excessive???

in the weeks following the accident as Engel continued her recovery after three weeks in a medically-induced coma and 18 hours of surgeries and skin grafts over three separate operations, an ordeal which is also detailed in the lawsuit.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
You don't sue the insurance company, you sue the policy holders and since it was their home Ceci would be a party to that. It's even possible that Ceci and his partner are in complete cooperation with the lawsuit so that insurance will cover her losses but you still have to go through the motions.
I think you sir know what you are talking about. Too many people here don’t really seem to understand how liability for damage and the final coverage works after all.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Well they are arguing it wasnt an accident and that it was negligent. Spraying flammable liquid into a burner while it's still hot isnt an accident especially while drunk. When it lights up and instead of tossing it the opposite direction of your friends you toss it onto your friend that again isnt an accident it is negligent. If Ceci's partner was the one that ended up with all the burns...well that would have been an accident.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
That's awful.

While technically an accident. she did throw the bottle at the girl. She should have thrown it on the grass or something but she reacted poorly.

I hope the victim wins.

In moments of extreme threat, there are protective responses that originate from the spinal cord and not the brain itself in order to save time. Obviously I can't tell you what exactly happened, but this may have an instinctual reaction that she couldn't have controlled.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Well they are arguing it wasnt an accident and that it was negligent. Spraying flammable liquid into a burner while it's still hot isnt an accident especially while drunk. When it lights up and instead of tossing it the opposite direction of your friends you toss it onto your friend that again isnt an accident it is negligent. If Ceci's partner was the one that ended up with all the burns...well that would have been an accident.
At least in Finland a liability insurance covers at least partially damage that has been caused through negligance. Intoxication affecting the negligance can lower the compensation usually, but in most of the negligance cases there will be still compensation. If the damage would be defined as caused by an accident, then the compensation would usually happen through a specific accidental insurance. I find it hard to believe that there wouldn’t be this type of liability insurance in North America too. And rich people should especially be interested in having this kind of an insurance policy just in case.

Last edited:

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
I have no idea how much her pain and suffering is worth in terms of compensation. Why? I've never been set on fire and lived part of my life in a coma, had multiple surgeries among st the other things mentioned that she's gone through. I will say that picture is pretty horrific and I'll pass on the opportunity to experience what she experienced to collect my "payday".

Moreover it is sad that a case like this is scrutinized because of others trying to take advantage, whether it be successfully or unsuccessfully, in situations where it was their own stupidity that caused them harm.

I have part of a family pissed at me now because I'm demanding they follow some rules and make their 3 year old wear a life jacket when using OUR pool. Even more mind boggling, two of those family members were at another pool where there was a drowning. THEY STILL WON'T PUT HER in a LIFE JACKET.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
whether it was intentional or not doesn't dismiss the suit. instead, that would determine if it were criminal or not.

this is exactly the type of situation home owner's insurance policy is for. it is meant to cover any medical expenses, therapy, transportation, lost wages, etc associated with the injury. pain and suffering easy to show. the issue is how much is pain and suffering worth in the case of a freak accident? the insurance company can weasel out of it. and they will certainly try. any insurance company business model thrives on taking in premiums and not paying claims due to a convoluted claim form that has a misspelled word on it.

typical policies in the states cover $1m of medical. there are more expensive policies hat someone with the wealth of an active and prominent ice hockey player presumably would have.

this is really unfortunate for all parties involved. he very well may lose a lifetime friend over it.

I have part of a family pissed at me now because I'm demanding they follow some rules and make their 3 year old wear a life jacket when using OUR pool. Even more mind boggling, two of those family members were at another pool where there was a drowning. THEY STILL WON'T PUT HER in a LIFE JACKET.

have you tried getting them to sign a waiver? in some areas, they are legally enforceable, provided they comply with state law.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
wow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad