Cody Ceci sued for 8 million for freak accident

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Would hasitate for a sec If its 8 mil on the table. Not a second
Sad, sad way of seeing the importance of money versus the importance of health. I will never ever understand people like you. Money is only a tool. You need only some of it to help you be happy (as long as other things are well in life) and live well. If you need 8 millions to make you happy even at the expence of damaging your health seriously, something must be seriously wrong in your life.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Sad, sad way of seeing the importance of money versus the importance of health. I will never ever understand people like you. Money is only a tool. You need only some of it to help you be happy (as long as other things are well in life) and live well. If you need 8 millions to make you happy even at the expence of damaging your health seriously, something must be seriously wrong in your life.
I would pick being reliably in the middle class with my health and living to a older age over one of the most excruciating experiences a human can go through over literally any amount of money. I also don't believe anyone who says they would do it actually would if they were faced with getting doused with the flammable liquid, the reality would set in that they aren't behind a keyboard anymore and they would be out so fast.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
yeah, it is.

Except, no, it isn't. There is far more litigation in the US vs Canada. There are several statistics you can look up, but start here (it being a law forum, a summary of a study):

The View From Up North: Who’s More Litigious, Canada or the United States?

These are some corporate law statistics:
Canadian Respondants:
1 to 5 cases against them in the past 12 months - 33%
51 or more cases against them in the past 12 months - 10%

American Respondants:
1 to 5 cases against them in the past 12 months - 26%
51 or more cases against them in the past 12 months - 18%

That's near double the amount of companies in the US facing more than a case raised against them per week. that's a pile of cases.

There are several other stats there.... Like, on average, American companies have 5 times as many in-house lawyers than their Canadian counterparts.

Additionally, statistically civil litigation is more common per capita, my multiples. I can provide stats on that if you like as well (roughly about 4 times as many per capita)

The conclusion they came to:
Of the three countries we looked at, the United States is easily the most litigious, Canada the least litigious and the U.K. somewhere in the middle.

It appears you're Canadian. I'm guessing you just don't have much insight into what goes on in the US.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Except, no, it isn't. There is far more litigation in the US vs Canada. There are several statistics you can look up, but start here (it being a law forum, a summary of a study):

The View From Up North: Who’s More Litigious, Canada or the United States?

These are some corporate law statistics:
Canadian Respondants:
1 to 5 cases against them in the past 12 months - 33%
51 or more cases against them in the past 12 months - 10%

American Respondants:
1 to 5 cases against them in the past 12 months - 26%
51 or more cases against them in the past 12 months - 18%

That's near double the amount of companies in the US facing more than a case raised against them per week. that's a pile of cases.

There are several other stats there.... Like, on average, American companies have 5 times as many in-house lawyers than their Canadian counterparts.

Additionally, statistically civil litigation is more common per capita, my multiples.

The conclusion they came to:

It appears you're Canadian. I'm guessing you just don't have much insight into what goes on in the US.

Your guess is wrong.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
What happens the next time a similar incident occurs and there's no rich person around to sue for the pain? Does that victim deserve less because they don't fraternize with a rich enough group of morons?

Thats what insurance is for bud. Do you think that the 8m will be getting garnished right off of Cody Ceci's hockey pay check? Lol.

If she had been fraternizing with a less wealthy group of people that had less assets, less insurance coverage, and less earning power, then yes, she would not be getting as much in compensation. Boy oh' boy did she ever hit the jackpot eh......:facepalm:

This girl deserves every cent of that money, and the only saving grace is that the accident was caused by people who are able to compensate her fully for something that will affect her for the rest of her life. You really dont have any idea how horrible burns are to live with, apparently.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
In your opinion

Not really. There are statistics to back it up. Like some I've posted, and I can readily post more. There are 391 lawyers per 100K in the US, 26 in Canada. Funny how that is isn't it........ that one is according to Harvard Law....... Want me to post a link to that?

Anyway, you can come up with something to back up what you say, or drivel on, and I'm not going to respond with anything other than telling you that you have nothing.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Not really. There are statistics to back it up. Like some I've posted, and I can readily post more. There are 391 lawyers per 100K in the US, 26 in Canada. Funny how that is isn't it........ that one is according to Harvard Law....... Want me to post a link to that?

Anyway, you can come up with something to back up what you say, or drivel on, and I'm not going to respond with anything other than telling you that you have nothing.

Your link is a survey and opinion. And that is fact? If you say so

Further only 11 percent of respondents of that survey were from Canad. A f***ing survey. From corporations....is your proof

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Tiger Woods was just removed from a civil lawsuit in a drunk driving death of a former employee.
Apparently some knew the deceased was an alcoholic but yet kept serving him, hours later he crashed and died.
His BAC was. 256, three times the legal limit.
The family will now focus solely on the restaurant because some of the staff including Woods himself and his GF knew he had issues with alcohol.

Tiger Woods sued in drunk driving death of former employee
Tiger Woods removed from lawsuit over drunk driving death of employee

The restaurant has liability insurance for a reason.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Your link is a survey and opinion. And that is fact? If you say so

Further only 11 percent of respondents of that survey were from Canad. A ****ing survey. From corporations....is your proof
That survey, regardless of sampme size, is far more than youve provided.

Want the harvard law study too???

Sorry, youve got nothing. Nada.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
That survey, regardless of sampme size, is far more than youve provided.

Want the harvard law study too???

Sorry, youve got nothing. Nada.

Oh ok since you say so. Your little survey proves it to me. Your source is opinion and nothing more. Sure let’s see the Harvard study

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
How is it Codys fault if his common law partner ****ed up? Because he has money? :huh:
That's how lawsuits tend to work but usually when an employee of a corporation f***s up. Or a parent. Generally someone with a duty to properly supervise or is responsible for the lack of training/teaching that caused the accident.

Really not sure what legal theory she could use against Cody. Unless Canada has some legal maxim that asserts a vicarious liability standard under a negligence claim to someone's romantic partner. Which I really doubt. From what I gather this was a social event but Cody's girlfriend was not an employee or agent of his to establish he had some duty to control her negligence.

Probably gonna have Cody dropped as a party to the lawsuit. But, if the damages are reasonably calculated to be 8 million the girlfriend can still be held liable for that amount. And by extension, presuming Cody doesn't dump her, he's probably gonna be on the hook for the victim's award. At least partially.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->