Cody Ceci sued for 8 million for freak accident

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
My burn was chemical it was as 2nd degree burn with splattered spots 3rd degree on my butt/genitals. There were a couple small spots of dead nerves but yeah I felt that stuff. Even with dead nerves it’s the weirdest feeling having a scalpel go through your skin. When they brush they get the 1st degree and 2nd degree areas as well, nerves are usually intact and that brush is hard asf.

And the leakage, had to wear maxi pads because after the initial burn, chemicals are still in your skin so it’s burning for a few more days. A brown liquid drains out non stop for a few more days after that. Had to change bandages 3 times a day sometimes 4.

You also have to shower twice a day because if you get an infection, stuff gets complicated. Just patting it lightly is agonizing pain.

1st degree is just top layer of skin.

2nd degree is when it penetrates most of the skin layer.

3rd degree goes through skin into muscle and if it’s bigger than a quarter, a skin graft is required. Fortunately mine was small spots with the largest being a nickel.

Worst experience ever. Could of been worse though, electrical burns are the absolute worst.

What in the actual f***? You poor, poor person. This makes me want to pass out from pain from just thinking about it.

For everyone saying this girl and her family are out to lunch for what they are asking, I just dont agree.

Burns are so freaking serious and painful, and most of the problems are life long problems that will never go away. Her day to day life is likely going to be forever uncomfortable.

Now consider what kind of person she is (outgoing and active, young and into her self image, a business owner in an industry that has a lot to do with image). Her boyfriend is a fringe pro hockey player that left his team to care for her. Hes likely not training, and could end up never going back to Europe.

Sorry Cody, but I think she deserves all that money and more, unfortunately for you. These civil suits are mostly ludicrous, but I cant say that its not fully justified right now.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
For everyone saying this girl and her family are out to lunch for what they are asking, I just dont agree.

Burns are so freaking serious and painful, and most of the problems are life long problems that will never go away. Her day to day life is likely going to be forever uncomfortable.

Now consider what kind of person she is (outgoing and active, young and into her self image, a business owner in an industry that has a lot to do with image). Her boyfriend is a fringe pro hockey player that left his team to care for her. Hes likely not training, and could end up never going back to Europe.

Sorry Cody, but I think she deserves all that money and more, unfortunately for you. These civil suits are mostly ludicrous, but I cant say that its not full justified right now.

For one thing- these judgments are based on limits, equations, and precedents- not emotions

For another
Jacob Cardwell at eliteprospects.com
Healing burn survivor Hana Engel poised to join hockey partner in Czech Republic

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Yeah, that's what everyone is saying about your posts....

You're out to lunch. Severe burns are one of the absolute worst injuries to deal with.

So all posters, including you have a secret group where you're sighing my posts?

I'd like you to show me when have I ever said that severe burns are not one of the absolute worst injuries.

Your emotional outburst makes very little sense so I suggest you take a deep breath, calm down and scroll back this thread a little to see what I've actually written, instead of becoming a white knight over my initial short reaction before making those downright ridiculous claims. My post history should be public, so it's not that hard. I can do step by step if you like.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
Didn't read through all of this but even in Canada wouldn't she essentially have to sue for the insurance to cover it appropriately? There might be no real animosity (doubtful but still) but the future costs of lost wages, lifestyle etc, no insurance company will willingly cover it without being sued. A friend of mine was essentially forced to sue another friend for lost wages because of an accident that happened on their property. The injured party received more money than the friend could afford, and despite the increased insurance costs, the friend spent less.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I remember when this came to light, maybe a year ago. It went in even more detail and it was one of the hardest things I’ve ever read.

Cody is a good guy, he obviously did not mean for this to happen and I’m sure feels extremely guilty. But the victim does deserve something, it’s pretty terrible to happen.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
So all posters, including you have a secret group where you're sighing my posts?

I'd like you to show me when have I ever said that severe burns are not one of the absolute worst injuries.

Your emotional outburst makes very little sense so I suggest you take a deep breath, calm down and scroll back this thread a little to see what I've actually written, instead of becoming a white knight over my initial short reaction before making those downright ridiculous claims. My post history should be public, so it's not that hard. I can do step by step if you like.

I've read all of your posts. You have basically spent the entire thread trying to explain why 8 million is too much for her trouble, and how she seems to be recovering just fine. It's an absurd position to take when you read what she and her family have gone through.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I've read all of your posts. You have basically spent the entire thread trying to explain why 8 million is too much for her trouble, and how she seems to be recovering just fine. It's an absurd position to take when you read what she and her family have gone through.

And not a single person has been able to tell me with hard facts why I'm wrong. Someone stated that emotions have very little to do with these types of things in the court of law and I'm more curious than anything else why and how they've come up with the number 6 million for the loss of income.

Unless you can provide the answer, don't bother with a reply. You'll get blocked.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
It's an absurd position to take when you read what she and her family have gone through.
Not really if you understand how different Canadian law and society deals with civil litigation than the States. We have a 370k limit on pain and suffering awards.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
What in the actual ****? You poor, poor person. This makes me want to pass out from pain from just thinking about it.

Sorry Cody, but I think she deserves all that money and more, unfortunately for you. These civil suits are mostly ludicrous, but I cant say that its not full justified right now.

What happens the next time a similar incident occurs and there's no rich person around to sue for the pain? Does that victim deserve less because they don't fraternize with a rich enough group of morons?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
And not a single person has been able to tell me with hard facts why I'm wrong. Someone stated that emotions have very little to do with these types of things in the court of law and I'm more curious than anything else why and how they've come up with the number 6 million for the loss of income.

Unless you can provide the answer, don't bother with a reply. You'll get blocked.

I did first hand information you just chose to ignore it and continue on with this embarassing crusade.

Reactions: Ippenator

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

People much more educated on this topic than you and I came up with that number... She didn't just pull it out of thin air. You know? I personally don't think 8 million is all that much money when you start adding everything up. And as always with this type of litigation you set the initial number high because most of them are settled without going to court...

Did I miss the fact that you're an injury attorney somewhere in all of this?

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
That's a horrible thing to happen...

... Cody also shouldn't be financially responsible because other people had an accident at a party he was hosting. It'd be one thing if it was something preventable that he neglected to do as a homeowner. It's not.

Yes he should because it was on his property. The fact it was someone elses fault is irrelevant. That is how the law works. Its the same thing if you host a party and someone decides to drive home drunk and they kill someone, the property owner is responsible for that.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Yes he should because it was on his property. The fact it was someone elses fault is irrelevant. That is how the law works. Its the same thing if you host a party and someone decides to drive home drunk and they kill someone, the property owner is responsible for that.

This is not, and has never been the case. The best argument you could make is Dram Shop Laws, which are for bars, and require you to deliberately continue serving a patron that's obviously drunk with the knowledge that they intend to drive after.

Even if you get a good case, good luck ever proving it in court.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I did first hand information you just chose to ignore it and continue on with this embarassing crusade.

No you didn't. I asked you for a source and you failed to give one. Like I said, I'm not about to take the word of an anonymous stranger on the internet.

People much more educated on this topic than you and I came up with that number... She didn't just pull it out of thin air. You know? I personally don't think 8 million is all that much money when you start adding everything up. And as always with this type of litigation you set the initial number high because most of them are settled without going to court...

Did I miss the fact that you're an injury attorney somewhere in all of this?

Yes I realize that. I want to know how they came up with that number since it doesn't make sense to me and few others here.

So you have a personal opinion on the matter, join the club. I'm not interested in that. And yes, I'm also well aware that you usually start high and settle somewhere in the middle. But the initial ask has to be based on something. Or why didn't she ask for 600 million? I wanted to know what that initial ask is based on when they are calling most of it as loss of income.

And no you didn't. Even if I were, it wouldn't apply since where I'm from nothing like this would be even remotely possible. Unless you're quadriplegic and even then it wouldn't be even remotely close to that kinds of numbers.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
Victim deserves a compensation but 700 k for parents and 200k for siblings.. That is opportunist.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
How much is she realistically going to get out of that 8 million? Obviously she deserves something for her trouble, but millions seem a little excessive, no? Though that's the NA style of things I suppose.

edit:

Since my initial reaction has drawn some ire from fellow posters and probably won't spark many to read the correspondence that came after , let me elaborate a bit:

After my initial post I have been educated how Canadian justice system and insurance on the matter work. First of all, Ceci is not paying this out of his own pocket but rather his insurance company is. A fellow educated poster even hinted - which seems viable - that with the system in place, Ceci might be helping his friend in the matter since the only way to extract compensation from insurance companies seem to be suing the liable party, which is Ceci and his better half.

I do not think the injured woman should be left without compensation. What she and her family have gone through is something unimaginable. I did not read the followup stories until after I had posted. However, I still stand by my original reaction in a sense that I don't buy the 6 million of loss of income part of the lawsuit. I also am baffled how her parents, husband and siblings are able to sue for another 1.4 million dollars. I would like to see the basis behind these numbers.

Now I do realize after a lengthy conversation with a fellow educated Canadian posters, that basically the ask is never expected to materialize in full. Still I believe you can't just pull numbers out of your ass and they have to be based on something, hence why I cling on the 6 million in loss of income. I realize that the person in question is a small business owner of a Yoga establishment but still that would make her extremely (read: rare) successful in her art. A subject I haven't been able to find any information because apparently economic records aren't public in Canada.

The whole culture of suing people or companies for outrageous amounts of money intrigues me and draws my attention every time. Every single case is unique so generalization is something neither I or anybody else should resort easily.

I'm not trying to be a dick by asking these questions. I am simply very curious about cases like these. Sadly as I'm told, this matter will probably be settled outside of the court and regardless financial matters won't be published.
Well, something like this is obviously pretty traumatizing for the victim and she deserves compensation. It reminds me of when people thought it was a joke when that lady in the U.S got millions because of spilled coffee at McDonalds. I dont think people realize how badly she had been burned and deserved every penny. Google the case, its ugly.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Well, something like this is obviously pretty traumatizing for the victim and she deserves compensation. It reminds me of when people thought it was a joke when that lady in the U.S got millions because of spilled coffee at McDonalds. I dont think people realize how badly she had been burned and deserved every penny. Google the case, its ugly.

I'm familiar with that particular case. Part of the reason why I'm intrigued.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If it's his house and his fireplace then he is responsible. She suffered legitimate horrifying injuries. Not a great situation for anybody involved.

Reactions: Jussi

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Your example is very misinformed and misleading. You should rather ask if the owner of the car should be liable for an accident when someone drinks and drives with his car, if the car owner himself has allowed that person to drive with his car. I can assure you that there would be liability, and most probably at least partially coverage to the damage from his traffic liability insurance. Of course in Finland this insurance is compulsory to every single registered car or any motor vehicle for that matter.
But as a caveat, the insurance is there specifically for the benefit of the damaged parties, to ensure that they get compensated.

After that has happened, if the insurance company has a case that you (the insurance holder) are to blame for the damage (you caused it driving drunk), they are coming after *you* for recourse. Obviously they can't ever recover from you what they are in hook for paying, if it was from example a young person whose disability pension they need to cover until 65. But they will try.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
But as a caveat, the insurance is there specifically for the benefit of the damaged parties, to ensure that they get compensated.

After that has happened, if the insurance company has a case that you (the insurance holder) are to blame for the damage (you caused it driving drunk), they are coming after *you* for recourse. Obviously they can't ever recover from you what they are in hook for paying, if it was from example a young person whose disability pension they need to cover until 65. But they will try.
This all is of course true. Especially when a person has caused damage while being intoxicated. Also might apply to serious negligance in other forms.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
You're pretty good at being an anonymous stranger on the internet, I guarantee you wouldnt say half of this garbage if you had to put your name behind it you coward.

Are you actually being serious right now? Look who's anonymously throwing insults on the internet. Talk about a coward.

I played at Carleton same place as Cardwell, we have many mutual friends. The only reason you refuse to take my word for it because it disproves your pathetic attempt to attack her.

Well woopty doo, you have mutual friends with Cardwell. Well of course I'm going to take your word as gospel from now on. My deepest and sincerest apologies for not believing you sooner. Credible sources be damned!

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
This is not, and has never been the case. The best argument you could make is Dram Shop Laws, which are for bars, and require you to deliberately continue serving a patron that's obviously drunk with the knowledge that they intend to drive after.

Even if you get a good case, good luck ever proving it in court.

Tiger Woods was just removed from a civil lawsuit in a drunk driving death of a former employee.
Apparently some knew the deceased was an alcoholic but yet kept serving him, hours later he crashed and died.
His BAC was. 256, three times the legal limit.
The family will now focus solely on the restaurant because some of the staff including Woods himself and his GF knew he had issues with alcohol.

Tiger Woods sued in drunk driving death of former employee
Tiger Woods removed from lawsuit over drunk driving death of employee

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
I seriously doubt if someone was standing in front of you and gave you that option as a reality that you would take being burned to that extent. There is absolutely nothing good about it or the pain that comes with it. There isnt an amount of money that is worth it.
Would hasitate for a sec If its 8 mil on the table. Not a second

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->