Cody Ceci sued for 8 million for freak accident

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Maybe they should start slapping fines on lawyers bringing in completely useless cases, wasting everyone's time? This is nothing but useless waste of time for Ceci, if he gets any punishment from this at all, the court should be abolished and the judge fired.
Yeah they got their internal arrangements for countering the abuse of justice, and a lawyer going out of line may be barred from the bar.

It's about damages and liability and money, not so much of "punishment".

Reactions: fivesberg

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
She has a successful business (that charges $95/mo) that is 5+ years old and would have continued to grow. It's actually still running right now thanks to her father, that just shows how well she built her company...are you to blind to see the value of a successful business?

Kudos to her father. I still fail to see how her alleged expansion plans are forever buried.

Your second question I don't really understand how that's relevant in any way.

IMO even her 8 million claim is not enough for the pain and suffering it is bringing her financially and emotionally.

And I disagree. There's no proof so far her claim of loss of income is valid and she herself valued the pain and trauma at 500k, so I'm going with that.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
When it happened most people thought she may not even make it, let alone be functional. The doctors deserve alot of credit they did an incredible job. Suggesting that anyone would trade places for any amount of money is asinine.

I’ll say. . I’m blown away by the amt of incredibly stupid takes in this thread

Being burned like that is absolute agony, not to mention the painful recovery (physically and emotionally) and being scarred for life

And you have dopes in here saying “derp, sign me up!”

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Why would you assume I want to hear her business was a failure? I'm simply asking for some data so I can wrap my head around that claim. I've heard twice now that she was on a verge to launch a franchise on her successful business model and if that's the case, it obviously changes the narrative about the claim quite a bit, no? If I come out as hostile, that I am not. Nor do I wish anything bad for anyone involved. I'm simply skeptical and curious to find more information.

Forget the bolded then.

Verified information we do know is she's had her business for 5+ years now and it is successful enough that it's been running without her. That alone should be enough merit for the lawsuit on top of emotional damage.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Why would the house owner pay for it even through his insurance?

If I go to someone's place, and someone else there misuses a device / does not follow instructions, how is it the owner's fault?

That's what will be battled in court, not sure how it will work out but some of the earlier posts in this thread kind of explain it. We'll need some lawyer posters to come in and explain it in greater detail.

Or maybe her own lawyer explained it in one of the articles? Not sure.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Kudos to her father. I still fail to see how her alleged expansion plans are forever buried.

Your second question I don't really understand how that's relevant in any way.

And I disagree. There's no proof so far her claim of loss of income is valid and she herself valued the pain and trauma at 500k, so I'm going with that.

I don't think the public is privy to that information, I imagine it was released in the lawsuit to the insurance company and that is how they reached the 8 million dollar figure (among other variables mentioned in another post breaking it all down).

Not sure how it works in Finland but small business owners don't release those numbers publicly in Canada.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Forget the bolded then.

Verified information we do know is she's had her business for 5+ years now and it is successful enough that it's been running without her. That alone should be enough merit for the lawsuit on top of emotional damage.

That it's running without her and stands a good chance of succeeding long term would actually go against the suit.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
That it's running without her and stands a good chance of succeeding long term would actually go against the suit.

I think in the breakdown it mentioned that she had personal income loss (for being absent from her business) and that her parents had personal income loss as well (for caring for her and maybe for taking care of her business. I'm just speculating here now.

What's the source of that voiding her lawsuit or going against it? I'm not in law, sorry.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Forget the bolded then.

Merit for a lawsuit? Absolutely. I'm not saying there isn't any loss of income. I'm simply disputing the sum. I asked for clarification because this thread is the only place I've seen any mention of her business expansion, which obviously would change the narrative, like I stated.

I do value a successful business. But a successful business, IMO, can be anything between making a 50k profit to a 1 billion. The numbers matter when you're claiming loss of income. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Common sense in me says she probably hasn't suffered millions in loss of income, considering you yourself used the phrase "small business owner" that is still up and running, in no small thanks to her loving father. I might be wrong. I'm just spitballing here looking for verified information, which apparently isn't available.

I don't think the public is privy to that information, I imagine it was released in the lawsuit to the insurance company. Not sure how it works in Finland but small business owners don't release those numbers publicly in Canada.

This explains a lot. In Finland I believe most business' numbers are public information. So basically we have no definite way to know the specifics.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think in the breakdown it mentioned that she had personal income loss (for being absent from her business) and that her parents had personal income loss as well (for caring for her and maybe for taking care of her business. I'm just speculating here now.

What's the source of that voiding her lawsuit or going against it? I'm not in law, sorry.

I provided at full breakdown of the various claims as outlined in the article in post 70. A couple posts above it a user provided a good breakdown of some medical costs and precedents for long term catastrophic injuries.

The 6 million dollar claim is based on current and future income loss. It has to be backed up and justified. It's hard to justify it to the extent of 6 million dollars if the business operated without her and stands a good chance of succeeding long term.

The boyfriend and family claimed a combined 1.4 million dollars in medical and lost income. That's ridiculous for the time frame involved.

I feel terribly for her, wouldn't wish her injuries on anyone, and certainly wouldn't take them on myself for any amount of money. Also I think the Ceci's are almost certainly liable, and that Engel is deserving of some compensation. But this has every appearance of a family with means (and a legal background) working the system.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
That's a horrible thing to happen...

... Cody also shouldn't be financially responsible because other people had an accident at a party he was hosting. It'd be one thing if it was something preventable that he neglected to do as a homeowner. It's not.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Yeah, she deserves something for her pain and suffering. Just lucky that the party was held by a multimillionaire, isn't it? Tough to get 8 million out of a coal miner.

I'm European so I just don't get these multi million dollar lawsuits, but whatever. You seem happy with the system, so what the hell do I know. :)

When you were in school to you aim for 100% and fall short or did you aim for a reasonable 75% and fall short?

This isn't all or nothing and will likely be settled or if it goes to court - the award will be substantially less than 8 million dollars.

Ultimately it happened at his house. It was his stuff so he will bear some responsibility here.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Merit for a lawsuit? Absolutely. I'm not saying there isn't any loss of income. I'm simply disputing the sum. I asked for clarification because this thread is the only place I've seen any mention of her business expansion, which obviously would change the narrative, like I stated.

I do value a successful business. But a successful business, IMO, can be anything between making a 50k profit to a 1 billion. The numbers matter when you're claiming loss of income. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Common sense in me says she probably hasn't suffered millions in loss of income, considering you yourself used the phrase "small business owner" that is still up and running, in no small thanks to her loving father. I might be wrong. I'm just spitballing here looking for verified information, which apparently isn't available.

This explains a lot. In Finland I believe most business' numbers are public information. So basically we have no definite way to know the specifics.

I think you're partly right in saying she and her lawyer aimed higher than they deserve because they probably expect a lower amount. I imagine it's rare for someone to sue and get the exact amount they sued for, it's usually less.

Kind of like NHL player arbitration...who knows :dunno:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Sure. Which is why I'm most certainly going to see this story through to the end, if and when that information is released. Doesn't mean we can't speculate in the mean while though.

Sure, you can speculate, but your assumption from your very first post is that this is a ridiculous over-ask, which may be the case and may not be. It's unlikely she gets that much (plus a lawyer's going to take ~30%) in the proceedings even if she prevails.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Only if you had 3rd degree burns though, you would actually know that third degree burn the nerve endings off so you actually don't feel anything. The worst burns are 2nd because degree of burns is based on the deepness of the burn and not really the amount of pain you feel. So because of that second degree burns normally stop right above the nerve endings in pain receptors and why they're the worst. You might've had 3rd degree burns, but all the pain you were feeling is surrounding tissue of the 2nd degree.

3rd degree is the worst though, because the deepness causes penetration for outside bacteria and viruses to enter due to lack of protection.

Goes to show how fickle people are nowadays.

My burn was chemical it was as 2nd degree burn with splattered spots 3rd degree on my butt/genitals. There were a couple small spots of dead nerves but yeah I felt that stuff. Even with dead nerves it’s the weirdest feeling having a scalpel go through your skin. When they brush they get the 1st degree and 2nd degree areas as well, nerves are usually intact and that brush is hard asf.

And the leakage, had to wear maxi pads because after the initial burn, chemicals are still in your skin so it’s burning for a few more days. A brown liquid drains out non stop for a few more days after that. Had to change bandages 3 times a day sometimes 4.

You also have to shower twice a day because if you get an infection, stuff gets complicated. Just patting it lightly is agonizing pain.

1st degree is just top layer of skin.

2nd degree is when it penetrates most of the skin layer.

3rd degree goes through skin into muscle and if it’s bigger than a quarter, a skin graft is required. Fortunately mine was small spots with the largest being a nickel.

Worst experience ever. Could of been worse though, electrical burns are the absolute worst.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Yeah they got their internal arrangements for countering the abuse of justice, and a lawyer going out of line may be barred from the bar.

It's about damages and liability and money, not so much of "punishment".

Well, I think paying damages on something that is not your fault is a punishment.

Should car companies be liable if someone drives drunk or goes twice the speed limit, and kills a bunch of people? I dont think so.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
That's awful.

While technically an accident. she did throw the bottle at the girl. She should have thrown it on the grass or something but she reacted poorly.

I hope the victim wins.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I provided at full breakdown of the various claims as outlined in the article in post 70. A couple posts above it a user provided a good breakdown of some medical costs and precedents for long term catastrophic injuries.

The 6 million dollar claim is based on current and future income loss. It has to be backed up and justified. It's hard to justify it to the extent of 6 million dollars if the business operated without her and stands a good chance of succeeding long term.

The boyfriend and family claimed a combined 1.4 million dollars in medical and lost income. That's ridiculous for the time frame involved.

I feel terribly for her, wouldn't wish her injuries on anyone, and certainly wouldn't take them on myself for any amount of money. But this has every appearance of a family with means (and a legal background) working the system.

Sorry I'm not in law on my end so I have questions regarding this.

How do you estimate or calculate loss income from a business succeeding without the owner present and a business succeeding with the owner present. Sounds like you're saying if a business succeeds without the owner then there is little to no case for a lawsuit.

I imagine the business would be succeeding even greatly with her being present since she handles meetings and builds rapport with the clients she brings in.

I workout anywhere between 7am-11am depending on my day… I always wake up an hour earlier than I need to be, to get the above routine done. I won’t have a good day without that hour.
Then I head to meetings. I usually book all my meetings in the earlier afternoon so I am able to drop into the studio during the evenings when it gets busier.
I will run home to let my dogs out, grab some lunch and make my way to the studio or private clients (again, depending on the day). Sometimes I will go to my clients’ residence, sometimes they will be booked in at the studio, and sometimes we work out of partnered facilities. It’s nice to keep the everyday schedule different.

Surely she is a loss to her own company

Reactions: fivesberg

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I think you're partly right in saying she and her lawyer aimed higher than they deserve because they probably expect a lower amount. I imagine it's rare for someone to sue and get the exact amount they sued for, it's usually less.

Kind of like NHL player arbitration...who knows :dunno:

I guess that is common practice. But in any case I'd imagine that the requested sum has to have some backing and cannot simply be pulled out of the ass. At least not in Canada based on everything I've read here.

Sure, you can speculate, but your assumption from your very first post is that this is a ridiculous over-ask, which may be the case and may not be. It's unlikely she gets that much (plus a lawyer's going to take ~30%) in the proceedings even if she prevails.

But can the ask literally be anything imaginable or does it have to have some merit? I'd guess that 6 million is still based on something, even though they are not really expecting to receive that much. And I still think it's an over-ask unless some new information is released.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I guess that is common practice. But in any case I'd imagine that the requested sum has to have some backing and cannot simply be pulled out of the ass. At least not in Canada based on everything I've read here.

But can the ask literally be anything imaginable or does it have to have some merit? I'd guess that 6 million is still based on something, even though they are not really expecting to receive that much. And I still think it's an over-ask unless some new information is released.

My guess is 6 million is what she values her business at based on current profits and projections but again, we're not privy to that information.

Reactions: Jugitsu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->