Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Adam Clendening? There's a reason this guy has played for 7 different teams in 5 seasons, its not because he might be as good as Cody Ceci.
you say this but if we had drafted Adam Clendening and he was from Ottawa we would have kept him for that fact alone and then some would see value in that "wow he must be good hes only ever played for 1 NHL team" I would pick him up pretty easily...

we actually looked good without ceci. to argue that hes not as bad as I think I sfair… to say we are done and dusted defensively without him is simply crazy.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
you say this but if we had drafted Adam Clendening and he was from Ottawa we would have kept him for that fact alone and then some would see value in that "wow he must be good hes only ever played for 1 NHL team" I would pick him up pretty easily...

we actually looked good without ceci. to argue that hes not as bad as I think I sfair… to say we are done and dusted defensively without him is simply crazy.

It’s not just that Ceci has managed to stick with a team for more than a full season, it’s that he has been able to be a serviceable defensemen as well. Clendening has done neither regardless of your opinions of Ceci. And it’s not just Ottawa that seems to regard Ceci higher than most around here, Drouin talks are rumoured to involve Ceci, Hall talks are rumoured to involve Ceci, and Duchene talks are rumoured to involve Ceci so the the it’s becuase he’s from Ottawa crap can stop.

This fan base can’t get past Ceci’s limitations because they had too high of expectations for him becuase he is from Ottawa.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It’s not just that Ceci has managed to stick with a team for more than a full season, it’s that he has been able to be a serviceable defensemen as well. Clendening has done neither regardless of your opinions of Ceci. And it’s not just Ottawa that seems to regard Ceci higher than most around here, Drouin talks are rumoured to involve Ceci, Hall talks are rumoured to involve Ceci, and Duchene talks are rumoured to involve Ceci so the the it’s becuase he’s from Ottawa crap can stop.

This fan base can’t get past Ceci’s limitations because they had too high of expectations for him becuase he is from Ottawa.

The message was not that Clendening is as good as Ceci.. the message is neither are very good. Demelo would have been seen similarly being an unclaimed UFA ahead of coming here. I am not saying Clendening is the answer to anything, but I don't think Ceci is either. He has not proven to be anything but a replacement level player. I don't care that he's from Ottawa or Timbuktu.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

well then wqe should expect someone pretty amazing for him then!!! looking forward to it.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Loui Domingue! Is there a way the sens can trade him and something else for Puljujarvi? They need RHD over there badly, he seems to think Ceci is ok.
Aren't they heavy into analytics? I don't really pay attention to or put too much weight into those stats but what are Cecis stats when it comes to analytics?

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Aren't they heavy into analytics? I don't really pay attention to or put too much weight into those stats but what are Cecis stats when it comes to analytics?

When players get deployment like Ceci, you just cannot use advanced stats to rate them. Troubas advanced stats look terrible, Adam Larssons advanced stats have look terrible. Everyones does in these situations

I did a comparison of the closest comparables to Cecis minutes/usage last year, and it only happens about once every 2 years. and his advanced stats were very comparable with players who had his deployment type.

That why Florida tanked heavily when they went all in on analytics, and have since backed off. More to the game that that.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I have been fairly positive about Ceci over the years but there is no getting around it anymore: he simply isn't very good.

Certainly not awful but he's not a good top 4 dman.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
When players get deployment like Ceci, you just cannot use advanced stats to rate them. Troubas advanced stats look terrible, Adam Larssons advanced stats have look terrible. Everyones does in these situations

I did a comparison of the closest comparables to Cecis minutes/usage last year, and it only happens about once every 2 years. and his advanced stats were very comparable with players who had his deployment type.

That why Florida tanked heavily when they went all in on analytics, and have since backed off. More to the game that that.
Never did advocate that I use analytics to gauge how good of a player Ceci is. I use the eye test. He's not good. People can point to deployment but that only paints part of the picture. Alot of the things I have issues with respect to Ceci are self inflicted.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Analytics can attempt to explain why Ceci is so bad. Thats it. Look You can't play so .. go play the toughest situations... now we'll measure you and the stats will tell us you had no success whatsoever. Thanks

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Ceci missed a few games so only played 15. he's pacing over 30 points and scoring some goals. his ice time is down a bit and that might be helping a bit.

he's not in danger of being in the next all star game but I don't think he's as bad as portrayed here at times.

he's going to get paid

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ceci missed a few games so only played 15. he's pacing over 30 points and scoring some goals. his ice time is down a bit and that might be helping a bit.

he's not in danger of being in the next all star game but I don't think he's as bad as portrayed here at times.

he's going to get paid
I think hes DEFINITELY as bad as portrayed here and everywhere else... but hes in some real good form right now.

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
I think we are all too hard on Ceci. He get's the worst defensive jobs. And also I think there is a chance he could get going offensively and still develop his game a bit.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I've never been a huge fan, but he's looked pretty good the last 2 games. Playing like a legitimate top 4 guy. But that's 2 games. I hope and pray he keeps it up.

It's pretty crazy to say, but he's a pretty big factor in this team's success. Because when he plays well, the team typically wins/at least plays pretty well in a close game. And when he doesn't play well...... You guys know how that usually goes. Hopefully he finds his form here and sticks to it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I've never been a huge fan, but he's looked pretty good the last 2 games. Playing like a legitimate top 4 guy. But that's 2 games. I hope and pray he keeps it up.

It's pretty crazy to say, but he's a pretty big factor in this team's success. Because when he plays well, the team typically wins/at least plays pretty well in a close game. And when he doesn't play well...... You guys know how that usually goes. Hopefully he finds his form here and sticks to it.

Interestingly, this year we've been best on home ice, where Ceci almost exclusively played against the oppositions top lines. Obviously whether he's playing good in those games or poorly would have a huge impact because an off night against the oppositions best usually means pucks in the back of the net.

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
I feel like Max Lajoie has had a calming influence on Ceci the last 5-6 games or so. His offensive production has dipped since his torrid pace to start the year, but i swear %90 of the time he has the puck on his stick in the defensive zone he is able to make a nice play to get the puck on a teammates stick in transition and get the puck out. For maybe the first time in his NHL career Ceci has a competent defense partner.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
My thoughts on Ceci
He is playing better this year.
How much does DeMelo make and Ceci would you say they have a similar skill set?
I think he lacks some defensive vision and anticipating the play before it reaches the crash and burn stage.
The goals he has have been ok shots and he has been open. He doesn't have much speed on his shot so I can't see him being very offensive.
He is making 4.3 and these are his stats to date.
goals 4
Assists 3
Pts 7
SOG

He is playing on average 22 minutes or more a night.
Do I think he is worth keeping ? Not sure
I just don't know if he is amping it up due to a contract year has he just been Lazy?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ceci's been good at picking his spots to jump into the offense recently.. Maybe something he's gotten away from. Maybe he feels more freedom for a variety of reasons. Defensively I still find he is slow to react which to me means he is still not sure of himself, thinks too much, or does not trust his instincts. If he can improve that a step.. he'd be a much better player. I agree with all the comments on his D partners though. Phaneuf - Ceci was awful. He needs a mobile partner. Lajoie , who to me has all kinds of top 4 potential, is the guy for now (poor him :laugh:)... Maybe Wolanin could be that guy too. I hope Ceci's game can grow this year... if not he should definitely be traded.

Reactions: IamJust0ne

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Ceci's been good at picking his spots to jump into the offense recently.. Maybe something he's gotten away from. Maybe he feels more freedom for a variety of reasons.

what are the odds he's being encouraged to do that this year as opposed to discouraged to do it last year? He's definitely jumping up more and it's having a positive impact on games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad