Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We'll need Ceci's salary, or the equivalent, to hit the floor. The question is this - is there another RHD we could target in free agency who we could get for low term who could effectively replace Ceci? If there is, then you don't even bother qualifying Ceci. If there isn't, then you qualify him and keep him for one last year while you develop a RHD of your own. You then trade Ceci at next year's deadline as a straight rental.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
We'll need Ceci's salary, or the equivalent, to hit the floor. The question is this - is there another RHD we could target in free agency who we could get for low term who could effectively replace Ceci? If there is, then you don't even bother qualifying Ceci. If there isn't, then you qualify him and keep him for one last year while you develop a RHD of your own. You then trade Ceci at next year's deadline as a straight rental.
Rotate Goloubef and Elliot while waiting for JBD

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Who in their right mind would see Ceci as a good rental? The goal is trying to win a cup not lose one

Reactions: Alex1234

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I think they almost have to if they can't move him for anything of substance. Letting him walk ? I can't see it.

Considering NHL teams will give up assets for an RHD that is functional, I agree. He's not good but qualify him and hope you get a decent pick at the deadline.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

Petrovic, Ruuta are 2 guys that could be 1 year fillers that get a pick next year.

Girardi and Lovejoy could be 1 year stop gap veterans that eat up the minutes.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I think they almost have to if they can't move him for anything of substance. Letting him walk ? I can't see it.
I’d trade him for any pick at this point, he’s that bad and the same goes with Harpur, ship them both out. Free agency I’d target Petrovic on a cheap one year deal and Stralman after Tampa wins the cup and overpay for him.

Chabot - DeMelo
Brannstrom - Stralman
Wolanin - Petrovic

Reactions: bert

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I think we'll qualify Ceci.

Sad state of affairs, but I think the org wants an asset back for him, and is of the mind that RDs don't grow on trees and he'll be acceptable as a stopgap/buffer/safety valve until some kids are ready.

I don't expect him to finish next season on the Sens roster, but I think the odds of him being in the opening night lineup is better than 50%.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Sad state of affairs, but I think the org wants an asset back for him, and is of the mind that RDs don't grow on trees and he'll be acceptable as a stopgap/buffer/safety valve until some kids are ready.

I don't expect him to finish next season on the Sens roster, but I think the odds of him being in the opening night lineup is better than 50%.

This is what I see happening too, he actually carries more value as a rental than signed long term to that cap hit. Hopefully they can get a pick for him next year.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Rangers fan here. I’m just curious about Ceci. All I know about Ceci is that he used to have good potential and that Senators fans hate him now. Can someone tell me why? I would greatly appreciate it. I assume it’s that he isn’t great defensively, but what is he good and bad at? Thank you for your time.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Rangers fan here. I’m just curious about Ceci. All I know about Ceci is that he used to have good potential and that Senators fans hate him now. Can someone tell me why? I would greatly appreciate it. I assume it’s that he isn’t great defensively, but what is he good and bad at? Thank you for your time.
he's honestly not even THAT BAD away from the puck, but doesn't know what to do with it when he gets it. He panics and always seems to be a half second behind everyone else. The worst part is that sometimes he'll show flashes of really good play, but it's so rare and inconsistent that it drives us crazy.

Has good size and actually skates very well. Just thinks a little slow. It sounds crazy but I've kinda always thought he'd be a really good 4th line winger. But he's a 5/6 D on a playoff team.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
All tools, no toolbox imo.

His decision making is a step or two behind where it needs to be. His double and triple clutching is almost comical at this point.

He's been used by Boucher as a shut down D man and its been a train wreck. There's a chance he turns it around under a new coach, but after years of poor play, most Senators fans don't want him re-signed to anything long term, but that's what its going to take past this rfa season.

Ottawa is in large part rebuilding because they spent all their available money on replacement level players like Ceci that haven't lived up to their pay, but for a cap team, his salary would be more managable.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Honestly I can't imagine them not going that route (unless they for some reason think signing him to a longer term deal is the right move..._

Qualify him, then ship him off for a 2nd or a 3rd to a team looking for a reclamation project.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Weren't the BooBoo reports saying the Sens would either sign Ceci long term or trade him?

I mean, qualifying him and then moving him prior to the deadline seems like the slam dunk no brainer option, but if it's coming from Bruce we unfortunately have to assume that's the direction they are going.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Positionally he is solid and for the most part reliable in his own zone, sometimes you wish he showed more intensity. I know a lot of people early in his career expected him to develop more of an offensive side but I don't think it was ever in the cards for him. It was obvious early that the game at this level was too fast for him with the puck on his stick. He is clumsy with, he lacks the puck skills and the hockey sense to be a successful puck mover. At the same time though, his offensive instincts are good, he supports the play extremely well and he knows when to jump in the play so offensively he gets his chances but he isn't the guy to start plays.

Ceci in a lot of ways is robotic and it's a big reason why people around the NHL value him alot more than fans. As I said previously he is reliable, you know what you are going to get, you know the mistakes he is going to make and they aren't egregious but he is boring and subtle. I think in the right situation he can do well but in Ottawa they are expecting far too much from him. At this point with the fan base Ceci is a whipping boy and it's hard to come back from that.

I've always liked the Chris Phillips comparable perhaps with a little better offensive instincts but for Ceci to fully reach his potential that's the kind of player he needs to become. Its funny though, it wasn't that long ago Ceci's defences were being over looked and Phillips was receiving the brunt of the blame. These days he Ceci is the one who for the most part undeservingly receives the majority of the blame for the shortcomings of the blueline.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Cody Ceci has been a polarizing figure for the Ottawa Senators. No doubt his off-ice character is great, yet his on-ice game has left something to be desired. For a long time fans would say he is still young, he can still develop, and his results are not that bad. However, now it seems most have accepted that Cody Ceci is in way over his head.

There is still a thought out there that there is an NHL player left in him. After all, when given a little bit of time he does show some flashes. He can jump up in the rush to create problems, as well as hitting some stretch passes. All of this leads to believe that he may have a lesser role but still in the NHL, here is why that shouldn’t be in Ottawa.

Why the Ottawa Senators Need to Move On From Cody Ceci

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Cody Ceci has been a polarizing figure for the Ottawa Senators. No doubt his off-ice character is great, yet his on-ice game has left something to be desired. For a long time fans would say he is still young, he can still develop, and his results are not that bad. However, now it seems most have accepted that Cody Ceci is in way over his head.

There is still a thought out there that there is an NHL player left in him. After all, when given a little bit of time he does show some flashes. He can jump up in the rush to create problems, as well as hitting some stretch passes. All of this leads to believe that he may have a lesser role but still in the NHL, here is why that shouldn’t be in Ottawa.

Why the Ottawa Senators Need to Move On From Cody Ceci

That is a very controversial opinion. I want to apologize in advance if posters here give you a hard time for suggesting we move on from Ceci. He is a fan favourite here.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Ceci reminds me of a faster Karl Alzner. A guy that had pedigree that you play way too much until ou realize he's barely NHL quality. His vision of the game is so bad and that's why he's very limited in terms of quality of play. Other than that all the tools are there.

Hun

Apr 8, 2019
Ceci is a good D-man. Good skating, positioning, good shot, good first pass. Great IQ. What else is needed?

Hun

Apr 8, 2019
We can compare with any D-Men from the top 4. Any suggestions? Dougie Hamilton, Dan Girardi ... someone else?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad