Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I pointed out before that there needs to be some changes made to the CBA, to close the loopholes that GMs in larger markets have exposed and exploited, and allowed their franchises the ability to "out gun" smaller market teams.

I would like to see a complete elimination of "signing bonuses". This would allow more franchises the ability to acquire UFAs, if they could only offer the AAV.

Would John Taveras have jumped at the Leafs offer so quickly, if they did not have those huge signing bonuses in the first few seasons? He may have taken more time to consider other teams offers, such as the Sharks, who offered more money that the Leafs did, but with huge bonuses, they were able to close the Gap on the Sharks .
There will always be a loophole ,and an excuse for our team never to spend....The market hasnt grown because there has been little to no investment from both current and previous ownership...You cant play in this league if you are just going to use nickels and expect back dollars all the time...

The cap was supposed to be what evened the playing field,yet we have never come close to spending anywhere near it....You cant use the bare minimum and then say the market just wont support the team ....Its not on the fans to just hand over their money ,its on EM to sell them as to why we should...When EM is committed to spending on the very best for this team ,then he will get the very best from this fanbase

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
There's been too much water that has passed under bridge to, imo, consider a scenario where EK would want to return to Ottawa, or for the current management, and to some extent the current roster, to consider abandoning the current re-build and go back to the future, with a returning EK.

All owners that the Senators have had, have faced the same unique economic struggles that this marketplace has to deal with..... and no new owner is going come in and bail out the team with their own money, and take a financial loss in the short term, thinking that they'll make that money back in the future ........ there is no track record of this market place being able to support a NHL franchise along the lines that franchises in larger markets are able to do.

To assume any "new ownership has the financial strength" to throw around money like "most teams are capable of doing" is, imo, a pipe dream at best. Small market NHL owners need a ROI in order to survive in their small markets, and this is just the reality we have here in Ottawa. Things may change for the better once the Franchise is relocated to Lebreton Flats ........ but we're years away from that, and EK will be in his early to mid thirties by then.

Why you keep mentioning that? My post wasn't clear enough?

Everybody need ROI, the new ownership might want to invest in the team (like, you know, EVERY other NHL team do*) so the team is ready or already a contender when moving into the downtown arena and then making real profit (they could sellout for a while and even jack the ticket/merchandise prices). That's the miracle scenario I was talking about. Do you know what "miracle" means? I even provided a source. Or was there another word I could have used that makes it less unlikely than that? lol

* We're spending at the Coyotes level this year, do you find it normal?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Everybody need ROI, the new ownership might want to invest in the team (like, you know, EVERY other NHL team do*) so the team is ready or already a contender when moving into the downtown arena and then making real profit (they could sellout for a while and even jack the ticket/merchandise prices). That's the miracle scenario I was talking about. Do you know what "miracle" means? I even provided a source. Or was there another word I could have used that makes it less unlikely than that? lol

* We're spending at the Coyotes level this year, do you find it normal?

I don't live in a "Miracle" world, I live in the real world.

The reason being given for EK walking away from a reportedly guaranteed $88 Million, was that the contract was not structured with huge signing bonuses in the first few seasons, like the DD contract is.

This is the type of "miracle" investment I assume you're alluding to, when dreaming about a new owner coming in and "investing" in the Senators.

And if this is the case, about a third of the teams in the league do not hand out these contracts with large signing bonuses, and small, by comparison, base salaries.

The Hurricanes, Devils, Avalanche, Islanders, Coyotes, Jets, Predators, Golden Knights, Rangers, Ducks or Wings do not hand out contracts with Giant Bonuses, and miniature Base Salaries.

So besides Ottawa, there are owner/gms of many other teams that live in the reality of their market.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

The reason being given for EK walking away from a reportedly guaranteed $88 Million, was that the contract was not structured with huge signing bonuses in the first few seasons, like the DD contract is.

This is the type of "miracle" investment I assume you're alluding to, when dreaming about a new owner coming in and "investing" in the Senators.

And if this is the case, about a third of the teams in the league do not hand out these contracts with large signing bonuses, and small, by comparison, base salaries.

The Hurricanes, Devils, Avalanche, Islanders, Coyotes, Jets, Predators, Golden Knights, Rangers, Ducks or Wings do not hand out contracts with Giant Bonuses, and miniature Base Salaries.

So besides Ottawa, there are owner/gms of many other teams that live in the reality of their market.
Is this another thread derailment by the usual suspects, or are we discussing Cody Ceci as we should be?

Reactions: Alex1234

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Is this another thread derailment by the usual suspects, or are we discussing Cody Ceci as we should be?

you're right, I was just answering a question from another poster.

Is that a minor, or a major?

:pb:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Do you believe Melnyk will remain the Sens owner forever or what? I'm 100% sure an ownership change will happen at some point, just that happening within 1 year is extremely unlikely, hence the use of the term "miracle". That doesn't make you live in a world that is more real. It's just semantics and you seem to exploit them as much as possible.

Those teams have not signed that type of deals yet? Just wait a bit and you'll see, it will happen if the timing allows it (if they have star players needing a new contract soon). Ex : do you believe the Preds would trade Filip Forsberg if he need a new contract and was asking for signing bonuses?

And you named 11 teams, does it mean that 19 other teams already do it? Also, the Preds traded for PK Subban, who has huge signing bonuses. Does that not count?

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
I feel as though he’s mixing up White with someone else. Even so, Jaros is going absolutely nowhere.
No I always think Colin White is one step away from being in the coaches doghouse.
He played great in the last game, but I think the way Ottawa plays might not benefit his skills. I think he would be in high demand from other teams. Maybe after 20 or so games there might be a better idea of who stays and who goes. I just have never been a fan of how the coaches have used White to date.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
I wouldn't be surprised if Ceci and Wideman are gone next season.

I'm thinking Demelo stays, he's making only 950K and playing well, and Jaros likely has a spot here next season. Ceci will be asking for too much, I think we replace him with someone else via trade.
DeMelo stays unless he starts showing a downward trend but fits into the Sens budget.
Jaros they are giving him every chance to take someones spot on the team.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
A Flyers fan made a proposal for Ceci, which we massaged into this:

To Ottawa:
- Mike Vecchione, C, 25, RFA
- Christian Folin, RD, 27, UFA
- 2nd 2019
- 4th 2019

To Philly:
- Cody Ceci, RD, 24, RFA
- Jack Rodewald, RW, 24, RFA

Maybe I'm just "high on my own supply", so to speak, but I feel like if Ceci is dealt this could be a pretty good prototype of what to expect.

Reactions: Clayonator

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Do you believe Melnyk will remain the Sens owner forever or what? I'm 100% sure an ownership change will happen at some point, just that happening within 1 year is extremely unlikely, hence the use of the term "miracle". That doesn't make you live in a world that is more real. It's just semantics and you seem to exploit them as much as possible.

Those teams have not signed that type of deals yet? Just wait a bit and you'll see, it will happen if the timing allows it (if they have star players needing a new contract soon). Ex : do you believe the Preds would trade Filip Forsberg if he need a new contract and was asking for signing bonuses?

And you named 11 teams, does it mean that 19 other teams already do it? Also, the Preds traded for PK Subban, who has huge signing bonuses. Does that not count?

I know you won't admit it, but signing players, and giving them huge "signing bonuses" that dwarf their "base salary" is the exception and not the rule.

Yes the tend to be the Superstar players in large market teams............ Ottawa is NOT a large Market team ......... it's one of the smallest.

The Ottawa/Gatineau population ranks somewhere around 25th out of the 28 NHL Markets.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Back on topic
30 other teams dont have Ceci in their line up and manage to win games

I think we could do it too ( aka 3 last games)

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
It was so routine to see Ceci refuse to interact with any player near the crease and then constantly ignore backdoor coverage. He watches the play more than he plays when he's on the ice. At least tap the oppositions stick to let them know you're there.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Its sad that the answer to the question on who's our best Dman that we want out there in critical defensive situations is Cody Ceci. He very well may be , but , he still isn't very good at it. IMO his salary exceeds his value.

Reactions: Alex1234

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Honest question here since I didn't have a chance to rewind back Vegas' first goal last night, I know Lajoie got burned and Duchene was not ready to defend, but WTF was Cody Ceci doing so deep in the offensive zone there? I didn't see the whole play develop, but it didn't really seem necessary.

I am actually hoping for someone to fully support Ceci here and tell me I am wrong..

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Honest question here since I didn't have a chance to rewind back Vegas' first goal last night, I know Lajoie got burned and Duchene was not ready to defend, but WTF was Cody Ceci doing so deep in the offensive zone there? I didn't see the whole play develop, but it didn't really seem necessary.

I am actually hoping for someone to fully support Ceci here and tell me I am wrong..

I think it was a rush starting from the right side or a pinch maybe? I cannot find the whole play and I,m not home to rewatch it. but these kind of pinc or rush, we see that all the time.

In the end, there was Lajoie and Duchene who covered him but got beat.

Jeff Winger

Jun 1, 2011
Moncton
I think it was a rush starting from the right side or a pinch maybe? I cannot find the whole play and I,m not home to rewatch it. but these kind of pinc or rush, we see that all the time.

In the end, there was Lajoie and Duchene who covered him but got beat.

Ceci got the puck at his blue, rushed it all the way behind the net and he tried reversing the puck behind the net but of course he missed the puck and Tuch picked it up. I've been shitting on Ceci being predictable by dumping it in all the time, but I guess he should keep doing that.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

lol not my goal to defend Ceci here but I just put the game on PVR to verify for you. Ceci received a pass at the Sens blueline and lead the rush the other way, he even made the zone entry with Stone on his left. He goes behind Vegas net with the puck but gets tied down and the puck becomes free for Haula because Stone is kind of interfered and slowed down while Dzingel goes to the front of the net hoping for a pass. Tuch receives a pass from Haula, then burns Lajoie and Duchene (who was covering for Ceci) easily, creating himself a breakaway. Not sure what Lajoie was thinking there, he should have went backwards as soon as he saw Tuch coming with speed.

Ceci is probably the least you should blame here. Even Andy could have saved it if he used his stick properly. Can't really blame Stone and Dzingel but their positioning in the offensive zone was not ideal as well.

Anybody blaming Ceci here is biased or just has a poor understanding of the game.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
I remember watching Ceci at the Civic Centre: gifted, poised puck mover with an above average shot and an ability to get the puck on net through traffic....

....fast forward to today....oftentimes lost, scrambly slow-footed defender, who handles the puck as though it was a grenade with its pin pulled and no shot to speak of as he was ruined when he was typecast into a shutdown role.

I know there are plenty of examples of skills not translating into the pro level - and I’m not pro/anti Ceci - but whether it is his professional regression, or the organization f***ing something else up with mismanaging his development (or the more likely cause lying somewhere in between), the guy has been mostly brutal as a pro. Not totally, but mostly - and I pumped his tires for years when he played for the 67’s.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis