Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
1. Since when is looking at the worst possible situation as a basis for a comparison a normal thing to do in any aspect of life?

Would I rather lose Stone for nothing à la Tavares? Of course not that's just common sense but that's not the way to look at things. That's not the way any successful organization would look at it anyways. If anything this just further demonstrates how dysfunctional this organization really is. No I don't want to lose Stone, but in how many markets does the fanbase have this kind of conversation about their best players? (Other than teams in cap trouble) Not a lot of them and those teams are not teams you should compare with.

2. I envy the Islanders. I envy them because they are committed to keeping their best player(s). Willing to pay Tavares what he deserved rather than just trading him because the owner doesn't want to pay him. Willing to make a drastic change in management bringing in one of the most well known and respected executive in the game in Lou Lamoriello. Willing to bring in the best coach available, one of the best coach in the league in Barry Trotz. The team is currently in the process of building a new arena in Belmont Park. They just drafted Noah Dobson and Oliver Wahlstrom, and have one of the best young centers in the NHL in Matt Barzal. Not everything is perfect for the NYI, but they are taking major steps in the right direction despite Tavares desire to move on to his hometown.

On the other hand in Ottawa we have an owner not willing to keep the best player EVEN IF HE WANTS TO STAY. Threatens to move the team on national TV during the outdoor game, cuts the management and scouting team to bare bone. Now we might lose our two other best players via trade because either they won't want to stay in this mess or the owner simply won't be willing to pay them with an adequate bonus structured contract (or not give them a NMC to then trade them). When Tkatchuk, Brown, Chabot and etc will be going into their UFA years looking for a payday will we even give them the money they deserve? Who knows...

Let's not kid ourselves, the Islanders had a bad luck with Tavares but they did try their best to keep him. Losing Tavares the way they did is a bad judgement call, but it's nowhere near how bad we have it here.
I think those comments were more in reference to how they handled the situation and didn't trade Tavares at the deadline.

If pending UFA's aren't signed by the deadline, and you're not a cup contender, you just have to move on and get something back for them. If we lose Stone, Duchene & Dzingel, we lose them, but hopefully that's not for nothing as UFA's that just walk.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
So Ceci is out for Saturdays game. What are the Sens up to?

President of hockey operations Eugene Melnyk probably wants Dorion to trade Ceci and his 4M+ price tag after two straight wins without him.

Or he's still hurt...I don't know, I'm not a #boardinsider

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I think those comments were more in reference to how they handled the situation and didn't trade Tavares at the deadline.

If pending UFA's aren't signed by the deadline, and you're not a cup contender, you just have to move on and get something back for them. If we lose Stone, Duchene & Dzingel, we lose them, but hopefully that's not for nothing as UFA's that just walk.

It's hard to tell exactly what happened. It seems like the Islanders management thought they had a shot at signing Tavares right until the end and from the looks of it Tavares was also considering a return to the Isles. It's certainly a tough decision for them, they definitely thought they could get something done and he's a franchise player. At that point do you really want to trade him and then lessen your chances of keeping him? Or do you trade him and get something for him. On one hand it's clear that keeping Tavares was their #1 priority, on the other hand you can get something in return even though the return won't be close to what Tavares was bringing to the team.

Looking at the situation from afar and after the fact, it's now easy to say they should've traded Tavares. That being said I have a really hard time believing that the Isles would have kept him if they didn't think they had a really really good shot at keeping him. Of course you can argue that the Isles could've given him an ultimatum and tell him that if he isn't signed by the deadline he would be traded. It has happened before, for example with Stamkos. Of course the situation was different with his injury history but Tampa still took a risk.

Besides, you look at the return teams get for rentals and it's usually just not that great. Isles would've likely got a late 1rst, a cap dump to make Tavares fit financially on the new team and then an above average prospect. Don't get me wrong that's better than nothing, but it's also not something that will drastically change your franchise anytime soon and if you're lucky it might change it in 3-5 years. Teams simply do not give up on top prospects and high picks for rentals anymore. I can understand why they took a chance and tried to re-sign Tavares instead of dealing him and then possibly completely losing their shot at re-signing him.

Our situation here is different in that there's an unwillingness from the owner to offer a reasonable contract compared to league standards. We (potentially) know that these players will not want to re-sign here given this constraint. That makes the decision a whole lot easier on the management side of things.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He’s your very typical bottom pairing d man. Except teams were offering up good players in return for this bottom pairing d man

Of course, the HF crew thinks all GMs are dumb! :laugh:

What have you seen from Ceci since he's been in the lineup full time (2014-15) that makes you believe he has more to contribute offensively? And how would that offense take shape? More SoG, goals, assists?

His 2015-16 stats? 10 goals, 16 assists in 75 games. He was playing 19:18 TOI/GP that year without being used as a shutdown D-man, and even less the most used in the whole league.

For ceci it’s special though. It’s not 300 games. It’s “d men don’t peak until 28”. Then when 28 comes it will be “that one d mans peak was 30”. So on and so forth. Verrrry similar to the cowen excuses.

I don't recall anybody ever saying that (or I missed it). And it's totally different than Cowen, whose career got derailed by injuries. Ceci has been played in the wrong chair for 2-3 years.

Would I rather lose Stone for nothing à la Tavares? Of course not that's just common sense but that's not the way to look at things. That's not the way any successful organization would look at it anyways. If anything this just further demonstrates how dysfunctional this organization really is. No I don't want to lose Stone, but in how many markets does the fanbase have this kind of conversation about their best players? (Other than teams in cap trouble) Not a lot of them and those teams are not teams you should compare with.

Not looking at the rest of your post (personally, I don't envy the Isles at all, but to each their own) but concerning the highlighted, you have the answer right there. Most teams, if not any team, has the same kind of conversation about their best players when they approach UFA status. And it's almost always related to the cap situation of the team. In Ottawa's case it's not very different, it's just that instead of the salary cap, it's the internal budget cap. Yes, we're that "poor"

at least have the dignity to change your name and come back with a different brand after your failed Karlsson predictions.

I find that changing your nickame on the internet for that kind of reason is weak. A real man assuming himself has no need to do that.

Gosh this is so facepalm inducing. I can't believe how much "internet ink" I have seen regarding that...

Last season, first 5 games :

3-0-2, outscoring opposition 19-8. The 2 "losses" came from the shootout, so basically tie games in terms of real hockey.

That was WITHOUT KARLSSON but WITH CECI...

I guess that if we follow the current logic, Karlsson is awful and it's a good thing we moved on from him.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Everyone knows he is coming back the next game. The question is who comes out?
They are not going to let a player with his contract and $ sit in the press box.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I hope he's traded, overpaid and overplayed.
A second round pick will be fine. Need someone to replace him first though.
Bernard docker can probably do it when ready. Or Wolanin maybe

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He’s better than harpur. Harpur had 4 giveaways tonight. And that was his good game

Harpur has blatant giveaways. He will make real bad giveaways in neutral zone type of deal.

Ceci's giveaways are much, much worse. They are the ones where he puts himself in brutal position in defensive zone on the boards and hold the puck for God knows why and he gets stripped and they gain possession in our zone cause of it. That metric is not tracked.

Oh wait, yea it is. It's called losing puck battles on the boards and someone tracked it and guess what, Ceci was the worst defender in the entire league at it next year. Entire LEAGUE.

I understand if you are wideman's size but being Ceci's size is inexusable for that.

Harpur at least gets it out as much as possible and prevents his man from passing him mostly.

Reactions: h2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->