Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Harpur has blatant giveaways. He will make real bad giveaways in neutral zone type of deal.

Ceci's giveaways are much, much worse. They are the ones where he puts himself in brutal position in defensive zone on the boards and hold the puck for God knows why and he gets stripped and they gain possession in our zone cause of it. That metric is not tracked.

Oh wait, yea it is. It's called losing puck battles on the boards and someone tracked it and guess what, Ceci was the worst defender in the entire league at it next year. Entire LEAGUE.

I understand if you are wideman's size but being Ceci's size is inexusable for that.

Harpur at least gets it out as much as possible and prevents his man from passing him mostly.
I think they both stay in and they run with 7D or take Wideman out.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Not trading Tavares set the Islanders back years.

Even if they got a similar return to what we got for Karl without a clear stud coming back, passing on that for nothing is a big deal. They could have taken those assets and flipped them for Ryan O'Reilly in the summer and had an instant replacement at zero cost. Is O'Reilly Tavares? No. But he's an excellent 55-65 point 1B Selke type center. Even without that fantasy trade, they'd have garnered multiple big pieces.

If Tavares actually wanted to stay, I don't see how waiting from February to July to sign makes any difference in terms of franchise outlook. So if he wouldn't sign in Feb, what logic was there in expecting for him to sign in July? They should have dealt him at the deadline if he absolutely needed to test the market.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not trading Tavares set the Islanders back years.

Even if they got a similar return to what we got for Karl without a clear stud coming back, passing on that for nothing is a big deal. They could have taken those assets and flipped them for Ryan O'Reilly in the summer and had an instant replacement at zero cost. Is O'Reilly Tavares? No. But he's an excellent 55-65 point 1B Selke type center. Even without that fantasy trade, they'd have garnered multiple big pieces.

If Tavares actually wanted to stay, I don't see how waiting from February to July to sign makes any difference in terms of franchise outlook. So if he wouldn't sign in Feb, what logic was there in expecting for him to sign in July? They should have dealt him at the deadline if he absolutely needed to test the market.
I am not seeing how this relates to Ceci, am I missing something?

Reactions: Clayonator

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Many people believe that Ceci is not going anywhere.
I could see them moving Jaros or Wideman and White.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
id like to move him for a top 6 player

but have no idea what his value is in a hockey deal

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
What about trading Ceci and Wideman maybe the value would be greater. Another 3 way sens deal.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Many people believe that Ceci is not going anywhere.
I could see them moving Jaros or Wideman and White.
I would think one of DeMelo or Wideman will be gone before Jaros, since Jaros is the only one with much potential and the other two seem more like short term stop gaps.

Ceci i assumed was here long term just because of how much they love him, but the contract situation and more important players in Stone and Duchene potentially being offered monster deal muddies that a bit. We apparently tried to sign him long term this summer and couldn't come to an agreement, so there was obviously interest from the Senators to keep him long term.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if Ceci and Wideman are gone next season.

I'm thinking Demelo stays, he's making only 950K and playing well, and Jaros likely has a spot here next season. Ceci will be asking for too much, I think we replace him with someone else via trade.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don’t mind trading Ceci but need another RD, Wideman should be traded at the deadline considering his age, contract status and limitations. I don’t mind keeping DeMelo and Jaros for now but JBD won’t be ready for a few years.

If Ceci is gone, it has to be to leave a spot for an upgrade and Wideman or Harpur don’t accomplish that. Does anyone think it would be a good idea?

If by some miracle there was an ownership change before next season and then EK would sign in Ottawa :

Lajoie-Karlsson
Chabot-DeMelo
Wolanin-Jaros
Harpur/Boro

Defense would be a strength then

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
What about trading Ceci and Wideman maybe the value would be greater. Another 3 way sens deal.

As an impending UFA, Wideman is a more likely candidate for being traded at the Deadline, than Ceci is .......... if Ottawa wants to hold on to him for one more contract.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I don’t mind trading Ceci but need another RD, Wideman should be traded at the deadline considering his age, contract status and limitations. I don’t mind keeping DeMelo and Jaros for now but JBD won’t be ready for a few years.

If Ceci is gone, it has to be to leave a spot for an upgrade and Wideman or Harpur don’t accomplish that. Does anyone think it would be a good idea?

If by some miracle there was an ownership change before next season and then EK would sign in Ottawa :

Lajoie-Karlsson
Chabot-DeMelo
Wolanin-Jaros
Harpur/Boro

Defense would be a strength then

Karlsson is not coming back to Ottawa as an UFA.
He walked away from a reportedly $88 million offer this past summer....... seeking and offer more in line with the Drew Doughty contract, with lots of bonus money up front ....... and that will not happen in Ottawa, with this, or any other owner imo.

Good luck finding a team that will top the $88 million, over the life of the contract, elsewhere, EK65 .......... sometimes the grass is not greener.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Karlsson is not coming back to Ottawa as an UFA.

He walked away from a reportedly $88 million offer this past summer....... seeking and offer more in line with the Drew Doughty contract, with lots of bonus money up front ....... and that will not happen in Ottawa, with this, or any other owner imo.

Good luck finding a team that will top the $88 million, over the life of the contract, elsewhere, EK65 .......... sometimes the grass is not greener.

I used the word "miracle", "a highly improbable or extraordinary event, development, or accomplishment that brings very welcome consequences" (source : Google)

In that scenario, I specifically talked about new ownership (something that will happen at some point, we just have no idea when, it could be within the next year, in 3 years, in 7 years, etc, impossible to tell right now, unless you have some sources that I don't have)

In everything I have heard, Alfie was involved in the group who tried to buy the team (don't think it's a secret for anyone in Ottawa), but I don't have sources outside of Montreal radio (JC Lajoie for example has his faults but never talk about rumors if it's not coming from at least 2 reliable sources and he has a lot of contacts, he is the hockey guru in a top-3 hockey market) and some Montreal people. Other people on the Web (including HF) talked about that a lot (source : ask them)

Wouldn't you see Karlsson signing in Ottawa in that "miraculous" scenario (particularly with his countryman mentor involved), assuming the new ownership has the financial strength (which they apparently would) that would allow them to give Karlsson lots of bonus money up front? Most teams are capable of doing that, Ottawa is one of the few that is "crying piss poor"

If that miraculous scenario doesn't happen, Karlsson will get what he wants on the UFA market (unless he has a terrible season), probably from a big market like the Rangers or even the Habs (he would be close to "home"). Many teams aren't scared to spend, Habs make over 100 M$ in profit every year just from hockey revenues (not talking about Evenko). Even if Karlsson declines before the end of his 7 years contract, worst case scenario is they end up losing some money. It's just in Ottawa that we make such a big deal about Bobby Ryan being overpaid, in other NHL franchises, it complicates their cap situation, here it complicates the owner's bottom line. Think about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TkachukNorris79

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I would be ok with moving Ceci ,but we would need a RHD back...We are just far too thin to move another RHD

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I used the word "miracle", "a highly improbable or extraordinary event, development, or accomplishment that brings very welcome consequences" (source : Google)

In that scenario, I specifically talked about new ownership (something that will happen at some point, we just have no idea when, it could be within the next year, in 3 years, in 7 years, etc, impossible to tell right now, unless you have some sources that I don't have)

In everything I have heard, Alfie was involved in the group who tried to buy the team (don't think it's a secret for anyone in Ottawa), but I don't have sources outside of Montreal radio (JC Lajoie for example has his faults but never talk about rumors if it's not coming from at least 2 reliable sources and he has a lot of contacts, he is the hockey guru in a top-3 hockey market) and some Montreal people. Other people on the Web (including HF) talked about that a lot (source : ask them)

Wouldn't you see Karlsson signing in Ottawa in that "miraculous" scenario (particularly with his countryman mentor involved), assuming the new ownership has the financial strength (which they apparently would) that would allow them to give Karlsson lots of bonus money up front? Most teams are capable of doing that, Ottawa is one of the few that is "crying piss poor"

If that miraculous scenario doesn't happen, Karlsson will get what he wants on the UFA market (unless he has a terrible season), probably from a big market like the Rangers or even the Habs (he would be close to "home"). Many teams aren't scared to spend, Habs make over 100 M$ in profit every year just from hockey revenues (not talking about Evenko). Even if Karlsson declines before the end of his 7 years contract, worst case scenario is they end up losing some money. It's just in Ottawa that we make such a big deal about Bobby Ryan being overpaid, in other NHL franchises, it complicates their cap situation, here it complicates the owner's bottom line. Think about it.

There's been too much water that has passed under bridge to, imo, consider a scenario where EK would want to return to Ottawa, or for the current management, and to some extent the current roster, to consider abandoning the current re-build and go back to the future, with a returning EK.

All owners that the Senators have had, have faced the same unique economic struggles that this marketplace has to deal with..... and no new owner is going come in and bail out the team with their own money, and take a financial loss in the short term, thinking that they'll make that money back in the future ........ there is no track record of this market place being able to support a NHL franchise along the lines that franchises in larger markets are able to do.

To assume any "new ownership has the financial strength" to throw around money like "most teams are capable of doing" is, imo, a pipe dream at best. Small market NHL owners need a ROI in order to survive in their small markets, and this is just the reality we have here in Ottawa. Things may change for the better once the Franchise is relocated to Lebreton Flats ........ but we're years away from that, and EK will be in his early to mid thirties by then.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
There's been too much water that has passed under bridge to, imo, consider a scenario where EK would want to return to Ottawa, or for the current management, and to some extent the current roster, to consider abandoning the current re-build and go back to the future, with a returning EK.

All owners that the Senators have had, have faced the same unique economic struggles that this marketplace has to deal with..... and no new owner is going come in and bail out the team with their own money, and take a financial loss in the short term, thinking that they'll make that money back in the future ........ there is no track record of this market place being able to support a NHL franchise along the lines that franchises in larger markets are able to do.

To assume any "new ownership has the financial strength" to throw around money like "most teams are capable of doing" is, imo, a pipe dream at best. Small market NHL owners need a ROI in order to survive in their small markets, and this is just the reality we have here in Ottawa. Things may change for the better once the Franchise is relocated to Lebreton Flats ........ but we're years away from that, and EK will be in his early to mid thirties by then.
And they have all dealt with it the exact same way.....Cry and moan .....

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Ceci for second and i will love put Brett Pesce. I dont know who Cane want. Maybe Dzingle and one prospect

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
And they have all dealt with it the exact same way.....Cry and moan .....

I pointed out before that there needs to be some changes made to the CBA, to close the loopholes that GMs in larger markets have exposed and exploited, and allowed their franchises the ability to "out gun" smaller market teams.

I would like to see a complete elimination of "signing bonuses". This would allow more franchises the ability to acquire UFAs, if they could only offer the AAV.

Would John Taveras have jumped at the Leafs offer so quickly, if they did not have those huge signing bonuses in the first few seasons? He may have taken more time to consider other teams offers, such as the Sharks, who offered more money that the Leafs did, but with huge bonuses, they were able to close the Gap on the Sharks .

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
I feel like if we lose 2 of the 3 big Ufa’s in Stone and Duchene, Ceci could be moved for an established forward of a similar age to a team needing D. If we lose 3 of the 3 I can practically guarentee it. If we lose 2 of the 3 and Dzingel is one of them, I don’t see it being as much an issue as he’s more internally replaceable.

Reactions: Xspyrit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino