Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I remember watching Ceci at the Civic Centre: gifted, poised puck mover with an above average shot and an ability to get the puck on net through traffic....

....fast forward to today....oftentimes lost, scrambly slow-footed defender, who handles the puck as though it was a grenade with its pin pulled and no shot to speak of as he was ruined when he was typecast into a shutdown role.

I know there are plenty of examples of skills not translating into the pro level - and I’m not pro/anti Ceci - but whether it is his professional regression, or the organization ****ing something else up with mismanaging his development (or the more likely cause lying somewhere in between), the guy has been mostly brutal as a pro. Not totally, but mostly - and I pumped his tires for years when he played for the 67’s.
Would you say the Sens rushed his development and now he's suffering from it?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Always wished Ceci would become a Jeff Petry type of guy. When Petry is on he's good at both ends, good speed, good shot, no problem getting out of the zone and he's physical as well. Typically what you're looking forin a 2nd pairing defensemen, even a guy that can jump in on the top pair when there's injuries but he's not been even close to that.

He plays against top competition, that's true, but so does Chabot this season and so does Lajoie on many nights and while you can see that both of these guys are younger and make mistakes here and there you can easily see that they think the game at a completely different level than Ceci while playing against competition that's just as tough.

Time to let go of the Ceci plays tough minutes rethoric and acknowledge that the guy is simply not good. He has tools but the guy cannot make the simplest plays on most nights. He's not effective at all out there. Even Jaros has a better offensive flair and the way the game is going you can't just be a defensive defensemen especially when you can't clear the f***in Dzone...

Time to trade him is now.

Last edited:

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Would you say the Sens rushed his development and now he's suffering from it?

I don't know what happened, but the player who played for the 67's IS NOT the player who plays for the Senators, at all. He was a puck mover in junior. I mean, I know you need a degree of competency playing two-ways: if you're gonna jump in on the attack, obviously you need to know how and when to get back, but something definitely happened to cause this kind of regression.

I'm just speculating based on observation, but they labelled him as more of a shutdown guy over anything early in his pro career, really haven't looked back, and here we are. My speculation based on the last several years is that he is almost certainly not made to be a shutdown guy and I'm starting to wonder if a change would do him, and the Sens, good. He's miserable to watch.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Always wished Ceci would become a Jeff Petry type of guy. When Petry is on he's good at both ends, good speed, good shot, no problem getting out of the zone and he's physical as well. Typically what you're looking forin a 2nd pairing defensemen, even a guy that can jump in on the top pair when there's injuries but he's not been even close to that.

He plays against top competition, that's true, but so does Chabot this season and so does Lajoie on many nights and while you can see that both of these guys are younger and make mistakes here and there you can easily see that they think the game at a completely different level than Ceci while playing against competition that's just a tough.

Time to let go of the Ceci plays tough minutes rethoric and acknowledge that the guy is simply not good. He has tools but the guy cannot make the simplest plays on most nights. He's not effective at all out there. Even Jaros has a better offensive flair and the way the game is going you can't just be a defensive defensemen especially when you can't clear the ****in Dzone...

EXACTLY.

Yes, Ceci is playing way over his head but his mistakes are terrible for a 1st pair or bottom pair defender.

Time to trade him.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
lol not my goal to defend Ceci here but I just put the game on PVR to verify for you. Ceci received a pass at the Sens blueline and lead the rush the other way, he even made the zone entry with Stone on his left. He goes behind Vegas net with the puck but gets tied down and the puck becomes free for Haula because Stone is kind of interfered and slowed down while Dzingel goes to the front of the net hoping for a pass. Tuch receives a pass from Haula, then burns Lajoie and Duchene (who was covering for Ceci) easily, creating himself a breakaway. Not sure what Lajoie was thinking there, he should have went backwards as soon as he saw Tuch coming with speed.

Ceci is probably the least you should blame here. Even Andy could have saved it if he used his stick properly. Can't really blame Stone and Dzingel but their positioning in the offensive zone was not ideal as well.

Anybody blaming Ceci here is biased or just has a poor understanding of the game.

ON top of that correct assessment , how Duchene not do the cap opener, or something , to trip up Tuch there?

Reactions: Xspyrit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
ON top of that correct assessment , how Duchene not do the cap opener, or something , to trip up Tuch there?

I didn't understand why both Lajoie and Duchene decided to be caught flat footed against Tuch who was gaining speed.

Damn, I would have liked to trade EK for Tuch + Theodore

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

He plays against top competition, that's true, but so does Chabot this season and so does Lajoie on many nights and while you can see that both of these guys are younger and make mistakes here and there you can easily see that they think the game at a completely different level than Ceci while playing against competition that's just as tough.

Time to let go of the Ceci plays tough minutes rethoric and acknowledge that the guy is simply not good. He has tools but the guy cannot make the simplest plays on most nights. He's not effective at all out there. Even Jaros has a better offensive flair and the way the game is going you can't just be a defensive defensemen especially when you can't clear the ****in Dzone...

Bullshit. Chabot got completely dummied repeatedly against the Avs. Lajoie got destroyed multiple times against Vegas last night (the Tuch goal looked brutal for Lajoie). Those two keep getting free passes, while people will scrutinize every little thing Ceci does.

Obviously, Lajoie and Chabot bring more to the table offensively, but don't act like they are better than Ceci defensively. They are NOT!

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Bull****. Chabot got completely dummied repeatedly against the Avs. Lajoie got destroyed multiple times against Vegas last night (the Tuch goal looked brutal for Lajoie). Those two keep getting free passes, while people will scrutinize every little thing Ceci does.

Cody Ceci has gotten a free pass for close to 5 years now, completely different situation that Chabot and Lajoie. Also Chabot and Lajoie bring much more of an offensive upside to this team, Ceci brings nothing. Time to move on, too bad we waited until the asset has basically diminished to no value anymore.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I remember watching Ceci at the Civic Centre: gifted, poised puck mover with an above average shot and an ability to get the puck on net through traffic....

....fast forward to today....oftentimes lost, scrambly slow-footed defender, who handles the puck as though it was a grenade with its pin pulled and no shot to speak of as he was ruined when he was typecast into a shutdown role.

I know there are plenty of examples of skills not translating into the pro level - and I’m not pro/anti Ceci - but whether it is his professional regression, or the organization ****ing something else up with mismanaging his development (or the more likely cause lying somewhere in between), the guy has been mostly brutal as a pro. Not totally, but mostly - and I pumped his tires for years when he played for the 67’s.

WAT! Ceci is one of our fastest defenders. Only is faster, and he's no where near as strong as Ceci.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Cody Ceci has gotten a free pass for close to 5 years now, completely different situation that Chabot and Lajoie. Also Chabot and Lajoie bring much more of an offensive upside to this team, Ceci brings nothing. Time to move on, too bad we waited until the asset has basically diminished to no value anymore.

He brings stability. Do you seriously want a D core of only kids with offensive upside? We already have too much of that, and we keep giving up leads in spectacular fashion because of that.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
He brings stability. Do you seriously want a D core of only kids with offensive upside? We already have too much of that, and we keep giving up leads in spectacular fashion because of that.

Disagree. I see little stability with him.

I didn't say anything more about how to proceed, aside from saying a change might be good for both parties. I didn't say anything more, specific to the points you're trying to engage on.

Reactions: branch

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Stability?? Far from it. For our defence to become stable, it requires a defence without Cody Ceci,

Also, are you seriously trolling us here? Fastest and strongest? Man, my 4 year old could move Cody Ceci off the puck.

Reactions: JungleBeat

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Bull****. Chabot got completely dummied repeatedly against the Avs. Lajoie got destroyed multiple times against Vegas last night (the Tuch goal looked brutal for Lajoie). Those two keep getting free passes, while people will scrutinize every little thing Ceci does.

Obviously, Lajoie and Chabot bring more to the table offensively, but don't act like they are better than Ceci defensively. They are NOT!

Wow I think you misread my post...

If you re-read my post you will see I clearly said ''You can see that both these guys are younger and make mistakes here and there''. Seeing that they are younger means that you can see in their play that they aren't even near perfect and that is defensively AND offensively. There's nothing to hide here it's evident and there's no doubt about that. That's why it's the first thing I mentioned before talking about the way they play the game. That being said what I was actually talking about, above the mistakes and age, is that both of these players are smart with the puck and can make plays that Ceci simply cannot ... or if he can he has never proved it in his 400 NHL games. I never acted like they are better than Ceci defensively, you completely made that up. Besides.... There's no doubt that they should get more margin for error given their age and experience in the NHL.

They are so much better offensively (vision, passing, patience with the puck) that it allows them to defend a lot less than Ceci and that's a big ''Welcome to the new NHL'' . Players that can defend alright (Because let's also not act like Ceci is anything more than alright defensively) but cannot generate offense or even worse have a hard time with zone exits are just not that valuable anymore. Puck management is an immense issue with Ceci. On a play where Chabot would be patient and pass the puck to a teammates, Ceci will dump it and give possession to the other team. It's all those little things that matter in a game. When you play that way you end up defending a LOT more than you should and being in a position where you need to defend is never good.

It's kinda like how Gudbranson was a young defense first guy playing 1rst pair in Florida and people just assumed he was good because he was playing a lot. Then he was moved and people started to see that he just couldn't keep up and now he's a 3rd pairing guy. The same thing happened with Alzner, playing first pair in Washington and then moved and now is healthy scratched in Montreal. The guy cannot move the puck out of the Dzone. Ceci will be moved and a team will take a chance on him and pay the price because he plays a lot of minutes, he's young and has draft pedigree. They will soon realize that his abilities as a player are very limited. The first thing you need as a Dman in the NHL is transition game. It's the single most important thing and any defensemen that has it, even if not great offensively, will have a chance to succeed (see Methot doesn't contribute but has no problem transitioning). Ceci doesn't have that right now.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Don't worry, if Cody every moves on from Ottawa, they will turn their anger and scorn onto one of those two.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Cody Ceci is responsible for half of the entire salary spent on defense. So yeah I'm gonna scrutinize him.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Free pass?

Well from what I have heard, Ceci has not been as good as they thought he would be. Perhaps this was because he had too much to do with a bad 67 team, or perhaps he had that "I got drafted, so I must be good" attitude.

Beats me, but that is certainly the impression that I have gotten.
Feb 15, 2013

The Canadian junior team didn't pick him, and they lost. That's how good he is.

Feb 15, 2013

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Don't worry, if Cody every moves on from Ottawa, they will turn their anger and scorn onto one of those two.

That's hilarious. It's almost like you're in a different world than anyone else.

Fans will turn their frustration towards other bad players on the team, not good ones. Nobody here was mad at guys like Karlsson, Methot, Kuba, Gonchar, Stone, Pageau, etc etc etc etc. Guys that play well are not criticized, guys that play bad are criticized it's a simple concept really.

Other than for you. For you it's nobody gets criticized if they play good, nobody gets criticized if they play bad. We finish last but everyone is playing well.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
That's hilarious. It's almost like you're in a different world than anyone else.

Fans will turn their frustration towards other bad players on the team, not good ones. Nobody here was mad at guys like Karlsson, Methot, Kuba, Gonchar, Stone, Pageau, etc etc etc etc. Guys that play well are not criticized, guys that play bad are criticized it's a simple concept really.

Other than for you. For you it's nobody gets criticized if they play good, nobody gets criticized if they play bad. We finish last but everyone is playing well.

It's not bad players. It's players that do thankless jobs and play an unattractive style, as opposed to those who play an exciting style and wheel snipe celly. Ceci hasn't stood out for any horrifically bad plays since he's come back from injury. Almost every other defenseman else has, some multiple times.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
It's not bad players. It's players that do thankless jobs and play an unattractive style, as opposed to those who play an exciting style and wheel snipe celly. Ceci hasn't stood out for any horrifically bad plays since he's come back from injury. Almost every other defenseman else has, some multiple times.

Huge fan of Methot. Gonna go watch all those “wheel snipe celly” YouTube videos that will always remind me of Methot’s contributions in Ottawa.

lol!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Since he came back from injury? It’s been two games?!?

Nothing to do with style. Believe it or not but there is a correlation between players been bad and how much they are disliked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad