Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Ceci is the one who took the Sens to arbitration, not the other way around.

If you take someone to arbitration, you'd better expect them to be as cutthroat as they have to be in front of that arbitrator to get the best deal they can.

I don't know what else Ceci was expecting, here.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
The organization legitimately put him in a tough spot playing a position way above his capabilities where he couldn't really be a successful player and on top of that they did that without giving him a partner that suits his playing style properly. Not only that but the system this team is playing certainly isn't flattering to defensemen. They need to block shots and legit get pounded in the D-Zone game after game after game thanks to Boucher's brilliant strategy of turtling when having a lead. They didn't give him the opportunity to develop his offensive game either..
Thing is that Ceci always is getting pounded in the defensive zone no matter what the system is or the amount of minutes he’s played - see 2015 and 2016 when he played 19 minutes a game and under a different coach. Not having an opportunity to develop an offensive has some merit like @ottawah showed he scored five points more than his career average in 16’ which I think has to do with getting Phaneuf at the trade deadline.

He should be thankful that he’s gifted ice time and is a local boy. His leash is extra long here in Ottawa. If he’s traded to another team I predict he’ll become a journey man defender.

Reactions: FlyingJ

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Thing is that Ceci always is getting pounded in the defensive zone no matter what the system is or the amount of minutes he’s played - see 2015 and 2016 when he played 19 minutes a game and under a different coach. Not having an opportunity to develop an offensive has some merit like @ottawah showed he scored five points more than his career average in 16’ which I think has to do with getting Phaneuf at the trade deadline.

He should be thankful that he’s gifted ice time and is a local boy. His leash is extra long here in Ottawa. If he’s traded to another team I predict he’ll become a journey man defender.

Oh I hate Ceci, all I'm saying is if I'm in his shoes I think he has reasons to be mad.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Attachments

• MontyBurns.jpg
    MontyBurns.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 3

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ceci sounds a bit spoiled, to be honest. I think he gets a bad rap on here...but damn. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that arbitration isn't going to be a fun process.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Ceci sounds a bit spoiled, to be honest. I think he gets a bad rap on here...but damn. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that arbitration isn't going to be a fun process.
he said it was worse than expected, so he obviously understood it wasn't going to be fun to begin with.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Did you listen to the full interview or are you just going by that tweet without the rest of his comments? In the full interview it all sounded perfectly reasonable. He talked to other guys about what to expect, and it ended up being worse than expected. He didn't play up that it was terrible, didn't sound bitter or anything, just said yeah, it was worse than he expected, not fun (obviously) and that the process can leave a bitter taste (again, this isn't an uncommon comment from players going through the process).

Reactions: Xspyrit

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
woops i meant to say that I wouldn't attend the arbitration

If I recall, agents used to recommend the player attend because it made it harder for the team to be willing to be as ruthless if there's a friendly face on the other side. Imagine it as the difference between a debate in person, and a debate on Twitter. The latter can get uglier quickly.

Reactions: Boud

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Did you listen to the full interview or are you just going by that tweet without the rest of his comments? In the full interview it all sounded perfectly reasonable. He talked to other guys about what to expect, and it ended up being worse than expected. He didn't play up that it was terrible, didn't sound bitter or anything, just said yeah, it was worse than he expected, not fun (obviously) and that the process can leave a bitter taste (again, this isn't an uncommon comment from players going through the process).

Is that interview available somewhere?

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Phaneuf, a guy getting paid $7 million, was miscast as a #3 defeceman...

You don't see this as part of the problem? Or that, even with retained salary by Ottawa, him being a #5 d-man in LA is a farce?

What? That he is overpaid? Yeah and? It's been known for years and that's why he's pretty inexpensive to acquire in terms of assets. He has 3 years left at 5.25, maybe he is still a bit overpaid but it won't be too crippling for a rich team like LA. The cap is at 80 M$ now and it will continue to rise. If they are in cap hell, they will do what is necessary, anything is possible with money. It was a really good move for LA. Getting a capable veteran D-man while getting rid of an aged and broken down forward on the brink of LTIR/retirement.

AND I didn't say that Phaneuf was a #5, I SAID that he has the luxury to be the #5 in LA because of all the quality D-men they have.

FFS, despite literally admitting Phaneuf got slower this past seasn and that this impacted his game, you can't even own up to the fact that you once claimed him already being slow meant him getting slower wouldn't hurt his game and/or meant he couldn't get slower...this is just ridiculous. Right up there with your "rebuilds take up to 17 years" nonsense.

The whole point was to show how ridiculous your line of thinking is (btw, he's not even 35, the age you claimed he'd still play well up to...unless you're going to argue his salary doesn't matter when evaluating play? I mean, that's a nice thought, but it's utterly ridiculous, especially with a salary cap).

Where did I say that Phaneuf got slower this past season? I only said "Phaneuf slowing down really hurt his efficiency". It just means that him slowing down in the last few years hurt his efficiency and you can't expect him to be your #2 or #3 anymore... I mean, in the post you dug up from 20 months ago, I did say "Phaneuf is already slow" and I even told you in my last post but you still come back with the same point? Is it serious? Anyway, nothing has changed, Phaneuf is still slow and I still don't see why he can't be a capable #4-6 for the next 3 years. He's still young enough and healthy.

Did you read my whole conversation with Bankstreetparade? Seriously, do you even understand? The whole point was to say that without Methot, the Sens were without a #2 AND a #3, but two #4 instead in Phaneuf and Ceci FORCED to play as the #2 and #3 guys. Can you see the problem or you still don't? Of course, I can't explain everything over and over again in every post.

So cut your crap, you're trying so hard to discredit me when you don't even understand the context in the first place, ridiculous and pathetic at the same time. Your weak attempt pretty much blew up in your own face, congrats. :laugh:

And you're only proving my point further by suggesting Ceci, a veteran with nearly 400 NHL games worth of experience if you include the playoffs, "can get there." I'm sorry, but by and large, a player with that much NHL experience is what he is.

Maybe you mistake me with someone else but I have not said that, in at least a long time (so go ahead a dig up more 2 years ago posts :laugh:)

Anyway, to answer your question :

Ceci is NOT A SHUTDOWN #2 D-man getting the 2nd most shifts per year in the whole NHL. He won't "get there". He is what he is at this point, or what he should be on a normal team, a 2-way #4, possibly a #3 in his prime.

It seems that you really have a problem with reading comprehension.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Players should never attend arbitration meetings. The player side basically goes "this is why he should earn this much" and the team side goes "he's not worth that much because of x, y, and z. And with Ceci, there are plenty of x, y, and z's.

Reactions: Clayonator

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Players should never attend arbitration meetings. The player side basically goes "this is why he should earn this much" and the team side goes "he's not worth that much because of x, y, and z. And with Ceci, there are plenty of x, y, and z's.

Agreed, let the agent and management hammer away at each other, before a decision is rendered by the third party. No need to drag the player into it, especially since they likely aren’t directly involved in negotiations leading up to that point.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Whether or not people accept it, that's below market value for Ceci when looking at the comparable players. It's not just my opinion based on me looking at the defenders with comparable deployment and production, but also a guy like Matt Cane (@Cane_Matt)who is known for his salary prediction model would have had Ceci at a bit above 5M on that kind of contract.

I don't think the Senators should have locked Ceci down to that kind of contract, especially with a rebuild. But I would bet money that he signs a comparable extension next year from somebody else.

If he turned down that kind of term from Ottawa, it tells me he doesn't want to be here. It was a bit below market value in terms of an offer, but that's a ton of security and the kind of upside he can expect on his next deal doesn't justify the risk of going 1 year now, and possibly having to go 1 more year through arbitration again.

I'm surprised to hear about that contract offer. I figured Ceci wasn't seriously in our long term plans, and us choosing to go 1 year in arbitration was indicative of that. But now I'm thinking we went one year to give us time to try and hammer out a long term deal sooner. It looks like he probably signs long term, or is traded before going to arbitration again since he'd get the most value as an RFA who can negotiate a long term deal with a team who values him enough to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad