Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We didnt lose possession.JGP is the one that gives it away completely
Like. Huh lmao. He gets shut down by the guy with no stick. Loses it. Then a battle for the puck happens. Then the puck pops out to dumont (I thought it was pageau at first too) and then he make a bad pass. Why are you willfully blind to everything ceci does/doesn’t do. It was two hilarious bad plays. Not one.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Like. Huh lmao. He gets shut down by the guy with no stick. Loses it. Then a battle for the puck happens. Then the puck pops out to dumont (I thought it was pageau at first too) and then he make a bad pass. Why are you willfully blind to everything ceci does/doesn’t do. It was two hilarious bad plays. Not one.

If were being honest here, Ceci had two guys closing in on him, and tried to pass it up to Hoffman (I think it was hoff standing still there), and the guy with no stick got his skate in the way, it came back to Dumont. So, Ceci didn't turn it over. He probably should have chiped it off the boards on his backhand, but tried to make the pass on his forhand instead giving the stickless forchecker time to get into position.

The thing that stands out to me is that you can see 4 ducks in the frame (either up ice or closing on Ceci), and only Hoffman really making himself available (if you can call standing there making himself available). Thompson glides into the frame from all the way across ice, but he wasn't an option, and Dumont was trailing Ceci, so I guess a drop pass was available.

This play was the sens in a nutshell last year. Zero support made what could have been a simple play into one where it looks as though Ceci panicked a bit and flubed the pass. Even if he did get it, they would have closed in on Hoff pretty quick, so there really wasn't much of a play to be made there that I can tell.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
If were being honest here, Ceci had two guys closing in on him, and tried to pass it up to Hoffman (I think it was hoff standing still there), and the guy with no stick got his skate in the way, it came back to Dumont. So, Ceci didn't turn it over. He probably should have chiped it off the boards on his backhand, but tried to make the pass on his forhand instead giving the stickless forchecker time to get into position.

The thing that stands out to me is that you can see 4 ducks in the frame (either up ice or closing on Ceci), and only Hoffman really making himself available (if you can call standing there making himself available). Thompson glides into the frame from all the way across ice, but he wasn't an option, and Dumont was trailing Ceci, so I guess a drop pass was available.

This play was the sens in a nutshell last year. Zero support made what could have been a simple play into one where it looks as though Ceci panicked a bit and flubed the pass. Even if he did get it, they would have closed in on Hoff pretty quick, so there really wasn't much of a play to be made there that I can tell.

As soon as he crosses his blue line (stop the frame to see it better), if he makes a pass to Hoffman using the boards wich is the best and really only option here, its all good.
But he doesn't acknowledge any of that and tries a move on the stickless player and ends up humiliating himself.
Gotta question his decision making here IMO

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
As soon as he crosses his blue line (stop the frame to see it better), if he makes a pass to Hoffman using the boards wich is the best and really only option here, its all good.
But he doesn't acknowledge any of that and tries a move on the stickless player and ends up humiliating himself.
Gotta question his decision making here IMO

Yeah i pretty much said that in my OP. Problem is Hoff wasn't really a good option as he was standing still and had a guy ready to close on him. The whole play was disfunctional because there was no quality support. Ceci made a bad situation slightly worse , not denying that but he's getting singled out when the problems start with nobody else doing there part. The more noticable mistake by Ceci is just a symptom of a much deeper problem that goes ignored. Fix the root issues and everybody ends up looking better.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Opposite side of the ice but...

You know when Chris Phillips was on his last leg and they overplayed him because they had no one else. That's how I feel when I watch Ceci play. He'd probably do fine on a 3rd pairing with more limited minutes which is where he should be until/unless he earns the ice time but then he wouldn't have gotten this and the previous deal either. His situation really had no fair comparable.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

You know when Chris Phillips was on his last leg and they overplayed him because they had no one else. That's how I feel when I watch Ceci play. He'd probably do fine on a 3rd pairing with more limited minutes which is where he should be until/unless he earns the ice time but then he wouldn't have gotten this and the previous deal either. His situation really had no fair comparable.

It's what I've been saying for a while. Ceci is bottom pairing D. Borderline middle pairing, but better suited for limited minutes. He shouldn't be a mainstay on the PK, nor should he get prime PP minutes. I bet you Wideman would do as well (which is not very well at all) as Ceci is if they switched roles.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Cody Ceci played 2442 shifts last season, with an average of 47 seconds per shift.

Only Drew Doughty had more shifts, last year than Cody Ceci.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Cody Ceci played 2442 shifts last season, with an average of 47 seconds per shift.

That number needs to come down. Way down. If he was a PP guy, maybe but he's playing only tougher mins on PK and ES.

Reactions: FlyingJ

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I have no problem with Ceci, I think he gets an unwarranted bashing here. He's deployed as a top liner because of how shit our defense was after Methot and then Phaneuf left (not that they were necessarily great, but they still ate minutes). After they left, we had no other depth, so it got even worse. He's totally fine deployed as a second pair dman if he doesn't have to play against the opposition's top line regularly... Which is exactly what he's getting paid for.

If we make no other additions to our d, he's going to have a tough time again, but it's the situation he's played in, which isn't his fault.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
The Ceci highlights pack is a very short film. More of a cartoon really. Let him Walk for $4mil imo

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Did you really just brought back a post from like 20 months ago? :laugh:

The point still stands, exactly like I posted. 31 is not old and Phaneuf was already slow, so nothing changed as he has already "declined" a few years ago from being a top D-man. Phaneuf will be fine in LA because he won't have to be more than a #5 for them as they have a very competent defense (Doughty, Martinez, Muzzin and Forbort, and they have Clague and Brickley coming soon)

The thing that completely goes over your head here is that after Methot was gone, Phaneuf was miscast as a #3 guy, and we know you can't expect that from him at this point. Very similar situation to Ceci being asked to be a #2. At this point in time, Ceci should be a #4 and Phaneuf a #5

And it has been the problem in years for the Sens defense, always missing at least a #2 or #3 D-man, which puts most of the other D-men in the wrong chair*

Ideally, I'd like to go into the season

Methot (#2/3) - Karlsson (#1)
Chabot (#2/3) - Ceci (#4)
Phaneuf (#5) - Wideman (#6)
Wolanin/Harpur

* It's weird, in Montreal it's a concept that they consistently talk about (example : a Center in the wrong chair lol) but on this board I don't remember anybody talking about it or even acknowledging it when I mention it.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

Why stop at the shifts comparision???
Please go on with the other stats
For a good laugh

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
To all those supporting Ceci blaming the goaltending, I think it's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario.
Was the goaltending bad because the defense in front of it was terrible? Or was the defense bad because they were overcompensating for goaltending they didn't trust?

I don't think the point of BSP was to blame goaltending for Ceci struggles, but in terms of hockey on the ice, I can assure you that a team and its players play much better when they have strong confidence in their goalie

Last year, Sens defense (in TOI/GP order)

Karlsson (#1 but coming back from surgery, was really bad defensively for a while)
Ceci (#4)
Phaneuf (#5)
Chabot (rookie)
Oduya (#5-6)
Claesson (#6-7)
Harpur (#6-7)
Borowiecki (#6-7)
Wideman (#5-6)

Great depth, but I don't see a #2 or #3, and even if Chabot will get there soon, he was a pure rookie last year. Of course things didn't go well. Then, you have Boucher system that requires strong goaltending and a solid team defense...

Great to read that post that shows a good understanding of the game. The faster the game is (at every level it becomes faster), the more important puck support becomes. It's directly connected to team chemistry but also coach systems. Players looking for options but not finding them right away will have a strong chance to turn the puck over. Only players of Karlsson caliber can dangle their way out by themselves. Most NHLers need a great puck support, it goes way too fast and you don't have time to analyze your options.

Reactions: Anaxagoras

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

If he was a #5 on a team like Calgary, he’d probably be fine. Playing behind Giordano, Brodie, Hanifin and Hamonic means there isn’t a ton of pressure on him. He doesn’t play a lot of minutes and would likely have more success. Too bad we don’t have four guys better than him here.

Reactions: Tundraman

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

I don't understand why it's hard for teams to get top 4 d-men. Obviously all you have to do is play them more often and voila, you've got yourself a good d-man!

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I don't understand why it's hard for teams to get top 4 d-men. Obviously all you have to do is play them more often and voila, you've got yourself a good d-man!

point being if Ceci is not as terrible as the bashers, in his home market, make him out to be.

Neither is he as great as his biggest supporters make him out to be.

He's a top 4 D man in Ottawa, and would be on a number of other teams in the NHL, not all teams, but a fair number of them.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
If he was a #5 on a team like Calgary, he’d probably be fine. Playing behind Giordano, Brodie, Hanifin and Hamonic means there isn’t a ton of pressure on him. He doesn’t play a lot of minutes and would likely have more success. Too bad we don’t have four guys better than him here.
Problem is #5 Dmen should be paid in the likes of Wideman/Boro contracts

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
How long have we got to sign Ceci?

Can he still walk away from the offer? Can we still walk away from the offer?

Why is nothing happening.

What is life.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
How long have we got to sign Ceci?

Can he still walk away from the offer? Can we still walk away from the offer?

Why is nothing happening.

What is life.

Maybe, they are looking for a team ready to take on Ceci's 4.3 salary and trade him to them.

Pure speculation, of course. But it could be plausible.. why not sign him if they want him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->