Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
How long have we got to sign Ceci?

Can he still walk away from the offer? Can we still walk away from the offer?

Why is nothing happening.

What is life.

1. It looks they already did for 1 year at 4.3 Ottawa Senators - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
(their source is Elliotte Friedman, and all he said was "Arbitrator awards Cody Ceci $4.3M" so maybe it was an assumption. No idea.

2. If they actually signed it and didn't say anything, I'd say no one could walk away, but who knows anymore. Funny how they posted a picture of Stone signing with a smiling Pierre looking on, and not for Ceci.

3. Good question

4. Not this. It's either a simulation or the darkest timeline so don't get too worked up over it

*EDIT* they had 48 hours to walk so we would have heard if they did

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Wish we could get a guy like Phillips to work with Ceci...Philly kinda like Ceci was projected to be an offensive two way defender..Hell we used to play him at forward,but in the end he ended up being probably one of Ottawa,s most steady defensive stalwarts....

Ceci can get there,he just needs help to understand that role....His mind looks like its trying to make too many decisions at once,he needs to master the simple play and short pass...And forego the rush up the ice,or make the perfect pass or shot...

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Most teams probably have at least three dmen who are better than Ceci. He’s better served playing on the bottom pairing.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Wish we could get a guy like Phillips to work with Ceci...Philly kinda like Ceci was projected to be an offensive two way defender..Hell we used to play him at forward,but in the end he ended up being probably one of Ottawa,s most steady defensive stalwarts....

Ceci can get there,he just needs help to understand that role....His mind looks like its trying to make too many decisions at once,he needs to master the simple play and short pass...And forego the rush up the ice,or make the perfect pass or shot...
Didn't Ceci play alongside Phillips for a long time?

They were terrible together

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
They were terrible. The only partner that Ceci looked decent with was Wiercioch. But that was a very short amount of time for, so probably a fluke.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The way I look at Ceci ,is he thinks and tries to do far more than he is capable of.....He can be a solid defender,if he just calms his mind, and stops trying to add offense to his game.....He needs to work on board play ,position,and making quick reads for the simple play....He does have the tools to do this,he has decent size ,decent speed and skating ability..Along with decent puck skills....

His mind seems to be the biggest stumbling block,so it may have to be drilled into him

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
No....Philly was at the end of the line,and Ceci was all over the place...What I meant was to have Philly work with him on the basics,in a coaching role
I am pretty sure he gives advice and works on drills at practice and in game. I see Phillips teaching him all the time during games

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I am pretty sure he gives advice and works on drills at practice and in game. I see Phillips teaching him all the time during games
Maybe he wasnt listening,because Ceci still doesnt do the Dzone as well as Philly used too....Philly is the closest example of what Ceci is ,a high scoring junior defender who,s offensive game isnt and likely wont ever blossom.....So while him scoring 40 points may seem unlikely,him evolving his game to suit what will keep him in the NHL ,should be the focus...

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Maybe he wasnt listening,because Ceci still doesnt do the Dzone as well as Philly used too....Philly is the closest example of what Ceci is ,a high scoring junior defender who,s offensive game isnt and likely wont ever blossom.....So while him scoring 40 points may seem unlikely,him evolving his game to suit what will keep him in the NHL ,should be the focus...
To be fair it does seem like he was listening to an extent. Not unusual for Ceci to pick up a declining Phillips bad habits.

Reactions: FlyingJ

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
To be fair it does seem like he was listening to an extent. Not unusual for Ceci to pick up a declining Phillips bad habits.
That was the point,Philly wasnt able to do the same thing as he did for us in the later years....But him on the practice ice,in controlled engagements should be able to help...In fact Philly could help alot of our young defenders,in defensive play

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
So what's going on? Have we signed him? Haven't heard anything and I thought we had 48 hours (Have been bust, may have missed quite a bit)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So what's going on? Have we signed him? Haven't heard anything and I thought we had 48 hours (Have been bust, may have missed quite a bit)

I am going to assume busy vs busted... don't know I asked the same thing yesterday I think. I am going to assume they signed him and never announced it.. which would be weird but ... who knows.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I wonder if the holiday doesn't count a true league day? Although I'm probably reaching. We'll know by 5pm tmrw I believe because that's when contracts have to go through by iirc.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Did you really just brought back a post from like 20 months ago? :laugh:

The point still stands, exactly like I posted. 31 is not old and Phaneuf was already slow, so nothing changed as he has already "declined" a few years ago from being a top D-man. Phaneuf will be fine in LA because he won't have to be more than a #5 for them as they have a very competent defense (Doughty, Martinez, Muzzin and Forbort, and they have Clague and Brickley coming soon)

The thing that completely goes over your head here is that after Methot was gone, Phaneuf was miscast as a #3 guy, and we know you can't expect that from him at this point. Very similar situation to Ceci being asked to be a #2. At this point in time, Ceci should be a #4 and Phaneuf a #5

And it has been the problem in years for the Sens defense, always missing at least a #2 or #3 D-man, which puts most of the other D-men in the wrong chair*

Ideally, I'd like to go into the season

Methot (#2/3) - Karlsson (#1)
Chabot (#2/3) - Ceci (#4)
Phaneuf (#5) - Wideman (#6)
Wolanin/Harpur

* It's weird, in Montreal it's a concept that they consistently talk about (example : a Center in the wrong chair lol) but on this board I don't remember anybody talking about it or even acknowledging it when I mention it.

Phaneuf, a guy getting paid $7 million, was miscast as a #3 defeceman...

You don't see this as part of the problem? Or that, even with retained salary by Ottawa, him being a #5 d-man in LA is a farce?

FFS, despite literally admitting Phaneuf got slower this past seasn and that this impacted his game, you can't even own up to the fact that you once claimed him already being slow meant him getting slower wouldn't hurt his game and/or meant he couldn't get slower...this is just ridiculous. Right up there with your "rebuilds take up to 17 years" nonsense.

The whole point was to show how ridiculous your line of thinking is (btw, he's not even 35, the age you claimed he'd still play well up to...unless you're going to argue his salary doesn't matter when evaluating play? I mean, that's a nice thought, but it's utterly ridiculous, especially with a salary cap).

And you're only proving my point further by suggesting Ceci, a veteran with nearly 400 NHL games worth of experience if you include the playoffs, "can get there." I'm sorry, but by and large, a player with that much NHL experience is what he is.

Last edited:
Reactions: God Says No

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
He can’t pass or shoot. Absolutely useless in the O zone. Trade him by the deadline please.

Then how do you explain his general second pairing D numbers, arguably top pairing numbers when not playing such terrible deployment?

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Feel free to point out his top pairing numbers.

2016 for RHD

overall points- 30th
overall goals - 15th
Even strength points per 60 - 12th
even strength goals per 60 - 4th

That year he was not tasked with the heavy shutdown D role to the extent he was the past two years and is likely a bit more indicative of what he could produce offensively. He had less than 20 minutes a game and minimal PP time yet still managed to be in the top 30 for his position, and when you just compared even strength per 60, he was in the top half.

you do not produce those numbers with zero offensive skill.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

And to be fair who could blame him for being sour after this.

The organization legitimately put him in a tough spot playing a position way above his capabilities where he couldn't really be a successful player and on top of that they did that without giving him a partner that suits his playing style properly. Not only that but the system this team is playing certainly isn't flattering to defensemen. They need to block shots and legit get pounded in the D-Zone game after game after game thanks to Boucher's brilliant strategy of turtling when having a lead. They didn't give him the opportunity to develop his offensive game either..

So after asking him to do all that I can really understand why he's sour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad