TSN: Cody Ceci + Hapur + Luchuk (and pick) for Zeitsev + Brown + Carcone PART TWO

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If you had read any of the local papers, in regards to the Ceci trade ...........it was well covered by a couple of sports writers, and they wrote about the attempt to sign Ceci, for multiple years (4 or 5) at between $4.5 and $5 M.

Ceci wanted 4 or 5 years, but at $5.5 or more.

Dorion did not want Ceci at the price, for that term, and all signs were pointing towards arbitration, which would have ended with Ceci becoming an UFA, next July.

Dorion did not want to go down that route, as it was reported, and decided a trade was the better option.

Please, can anyone please post a link to any other columnist who knew of another trade, with another team, that was another option that Dorion passed on ........ as it was not covered in either of the two local papers, and I never heard of another possible trade, on TSN 1200, except for the rumoured Toronto trade, before it happened.

I keep hearing that Dorion passed on a "better" option, so I'd like to know what other rumoured trade(s) possibility was.
Hall. Drouin. Duchene a couple years before we traded for him. Uhhhh any young coward when checks value was sky high.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Hall. Drouin. Duchene a couple years before we traded for him. Uhhhh any young coward when checks value was sky high.

So Dorion should have jumped into his time machine, and made one of those deals.

But lets talk about reality. This summer, he had a number and term in mind, for Ceci, and Ceci rejected the offer, so the options of the past were not available to Dorion, and he made the move he did.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
What the hell is this post? Am I not allowed to disagree with a move the team makes?

No, of course not. Look at all the great things this team has done in the last 2 years. Why should we as fans not collectively give them the benefit of the doubt?

^ couldn't keep a straight face while typing that.

Reactions: Deku

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
So Dorion should have jumped into his time machine, and made one of those deals.

But lets talk about reality. This summer, he had a number and term in mind, for Ceci, and Ceci rejected the offer, so the options of the past were not available to Dorion, and he made the move he did.

You're absolutely right.

But that doesn't mean for one second we as fans are obligated to agree with it.

As a wise man once said, "there's more than 1 side to any story or issue."

Reactions: Deku

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The Leafs D is massively improved by subtracting Hainsey and Zaitsev. Its like us getting rid of Boro and Ceci.

Sounds like getting someone other than DJ Smith to run the D will be a good improvement as well.

Zaitsev and Ceci is likely a wash and you're severely underrating Hainsey if you think he's addition by subtraction.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Zaitsev and Ceci is likely a wash and you're severely underrating Hainsey if you think he's addition by subtraction.
I agree that its a wash, I just don't think Ceci will have enough of a rep with the Leafs staff to get used the same way he was here. The crazy thing too is that Ceci actually has more offensive ability than Zaitsev (who is one of the least skilled/offensive instinctual players in the entire league). Ceci might get to use that in some soft minutes.

Hainsey is absolute garbage at this point in his career. Why else would he be playing here? Old guy who can't skate. He's Oduya 2.0.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I agree that its a wash, I just don't think Ceci will have enough of a rep with the Leafs staff to get used the same way he was here. The crazy thing too is that Ceci actually has more offensive ability than Zaitsev (who is one of the least skilled/offensive instinctual players in the entire league). Ceci might get to use that in some soft minutes.

Hainsey is absolute garbage at this point in his career. Why else would he be playing here? Old guy who can't skate. He's Oduya 2.0.
HAinsey is garbage? Almost all the Leafs fans on here’s said despite being old he still has some left in the tank and is still a good depth defensemen.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Ceci won't get overrused in Toronto like he did here.

If he becomes a good defensemen for the Leafs this trade goes from kinda bad to awful for us.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
HAinsey is garbage? Almost all the Leafs fans on here’s said despite being old he still has some left in the tank and is still a good depth defensemen.
Its a mystery that the Leafs defense was so atrocious. They had all these great Dmen like Zaitsev and Hainsey. I guess the fault should fall on Rielly and Gardiner?

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I saw this on twitter, idk what the source is:
Edit- Its fake but still funny

D-uhSoXXoAE7B9j.jpg:large

Last edited:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

I disagree with everything you posted minus the bit about Ceci getting sheltered minutes. I guess we'll see what we have with that combo once the season starts. Cheers.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
If you had read any of the local papers, in regards to the Ceci trade ...........it was well covered by a couple of sports writers, and they wrote about the attempt to sign Ceci, for multiple years (4 or 5) at between $4.5 and $5 M.

Ceci wanted 4 or 5 years, but at $5.5 or more.

Dorion did not want Ceci at the price, for that term, and all signs were pointing towards arbitration, which would have ended with Ceci becoming an UFA, next July.

Dorion did not want to go down that route, as it was reported, and decided a trade was the better option.

Please, can anyone please post a link to any other columnist who knew of another trade, with another team, that was another option that Dorion passed on ........ as it was not covered in either of the two local papers, and I never heard of another possible trade, on TSN 1200, except for the rumoured Toronto trade, before it happened.

I keep hearing that Dorion passed on a "better" option, so I'd like to know what other rumoured trade(s) possibility was.

We have already established that Melnyk has the local media in his back pocket. None of these guys want to rock the boat and lose their charter seat. Quoting TSN1200 and Garrioch reveals nothing other that what the organization believes the fanbase should be told.

The ever polarizing Travis Yost who works for TSN reported Eberle, Hall, Drouin as all potential Ceci deals that the Ottawa Senators turned down. Pretty sure even Dreger admitted the Ceci/Hall trade was a thing.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I disagree with everything you posted minus the bit about Ceci getting sheltered minutes. I guess we'll see what we have with that combo once the season starts. Cheers.
Why do you disagree though? Do you disagree with what the numbers tell us? Is it just because a random stranger on the internet who claimed to be a Leafs fan said otherwise? Imagine Leafs fans reading Aragorns posts and thinking Harpur was some incredible player they got.

The Leafs fans I know all agree that Hainsey and Zaitsev are awful. My eyes certainly told me they were awful last year. I probably watched more Leafs games front to back than I did Sens games last season.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I didn't do anything. Do we really have to explain this to you again??

The local media do not work for the Senators, or for their owner.

You can choose to put stock in some sort of conspiracy theroy, but I for one believe that @ianmendes and his peers are not in EMs pocket as you suggest.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Why do you disagree though? Do you disagree with what the numbers tell us? Is it just because a random stranger on the internet who claimed to be a Leafs fan said otherwise? Imagine Leafs fans reading Aragorns posts and thinking Harpur was some incredible player they got.

The Leafs fans I know all agree that Hainsey and Zaitsev are awful. My eyes certainly told me they were awful last year. I probably watched more Leafs games front to back than I did Sens games last season.

My own eyes have told me that Hainsey has been a competent, stabilizing defenceman for years and that his game hasn't yet fallen off to the point where he can be called addition by subtraction.

If you want to talk about numbers, we can talk about how Zaitsev's career high in points is 10 higher than Ceci's or how Zaitsev has more points and a higher PPG in the last 3 years, despite less ice time than Cody.

I'm not to to paint either one as some kind of top pairing option or saviour, you're just being really hard on both of them while, simultaneously, giving Ceci the benefit of the doubt that he can provide something in TO that he hasn't been able to here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad