TSN: Cody Ceci + Hapur + Luchuk (and pick) for Zeitsev + Brown + Carcone PART TWO

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Clearly to make some cap space for marner and Dubas knew all too well whose GM would bite for Zaitsev

They didn't save any cap space on the Ceci-Zaitsev tradeoff though. At least for this season, they didn't... Marner still needs a contract now.

The only cap savings this season for them is the Brown contract, which is supposedly the "sweetner".

Reactions: Alex1234

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If you had read any of the local papers, in regards to the Ceci trade ...........it was well covered by a couple of sports writers, and they wrote about the attempt to sign Ceci, for multiple years (4 or 5) at between $4.5 and $5 M.

Ceci wanted 4 or 5 years, but at $5.5 or more.

Dorion did not want Ceci at the price, for that term, and all signs were pointing towards arbitration, which would have ended with Ceci becoming an UFA, next July.

Dorion did not want to go down that route, as it was reported, and decided a trade was the better option.

Please, can anyone please post a link to any other columnist who knew of another trade, with another team, that was another option that Dorion passed on ........ as it was not covered in either of the two local papers, and I never heard of another possible trade, on TSN 1200, except for the rumoured Toronto trade, before it happened.

I keep hearing that Dorion passed on a "better" option, so I'd like to know what other rumoured trade(s) possibility was.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
They didn't save any cap space on the Ceci-Zaitsev tradeoff though. At least for this season, they didn't... Marner still needs a contract now.

The only cap savings this season for them is the Brown contract, which is supposedly the "sweetner".
With the Kerfoot deal they signed today I'm still trying to figure out how they give Marner that 10 million a year contract that he wants and while staying under the cap.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

You are right
I meant for subsequent years but with Kerfoot contract they are tight right now

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
If you had read any of the local papers, in regards to the Ceci trade ...........it was well covered by a couple of sports writers, and they wrote about the attempt to sign Ceci, for multiple years (4 or 5) at between $4.5 and $5 M.

Ceci wanted 4 or 5 years, but at $5.5 or more.

Dorion did not want Ceci at the price, for that term, and all signs were pointing towards arbitration, which would have ended with Ceci becoming an UFA, next July.

Dorion did not want to go down that route, as it was reported, and decided a trade was the better option.

Please, can anyone please post a link to any other columnist who knew of another trade, with another team, that was another option that Dorion passed on ........ as it was not covered in either of the two local papers, and I never heard of another possible trade, on TSN 1200, except for the rumoured Toronto trade, before it happened.

I keep hearing that Dorion passed on a "better" option, so I'd like to know what other rumoured trade(s) possibility was.

No reports of other trades === no other options for Pierre. Right.

I believe both Dreger and Mackenzie reported that Ceci held some value around league circles and that he was no where near as undervalued as he was by most in Ottawa.

Maybe they were so fixated on Zaitsev that they didn't seriously engage in other discussions for Ceci? After all, I believe Pierre himself said DJ talked to Zaitsev numerous times via phone after the season, well before the trade went down.

Trying to justify the trade because we didn't hear about any other trades is just being disingenuous. Of course there were other options, and we don't need to know what they were in order to criticize the trade.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
No reports of other trades === no other options for Pierre. Right.

I believe both Dreger and Mackenzie reported that Ceci held some value around league circles and that he was no where near as undervalued as he was by most in Ottawa.

Maybe they were so fixated on Zaitsev that they didn't seriously engage in other discussions for Ceci? After all, I believe Pierre himself said DJ talked to Zaitsev numerous times via phone after the season, well before the trade went down.

Trying to justify the trade because we didn't hear about any other trades is just being disingenuous. Of course there were other options, and we don't need to know what they were in order to criticize the trade.
That was just bait, not looking for a real response. Queue the "Oh, so you don't have a link?" response. Safe to say there were other trade options available. Even if you had a link to speculation or "insider information", it would just be called unsubstantiated rumors. Next it'll be, do you have a link where a GM said they would trade player x for Ceci?

The Senators arbitrarily deciding they wouldn't go to arbitration and head in to the season with Ceci as a UFA, is their own choice. That was one option on the table and they've shown they're willing to do it with other players on numerous occasions.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
That was just bait, not looking for a real response. Queue the "Oh, so you don't have a link?" response. Safe to say there were other trade options available. Even if you had a link to speculation or "insider information", it would just be called unsubstantiated rumors. Next it'll be, do you have a link where a GM said they would trade player x for Ceci?

The Senators arbitrarily deciding they wouldn't go to arbitration and head in to the season with Ceci as a UFA, is their own choice. That was one option on the table and they've shown they're willing to do it with other players on numerous occasions.

Yeah. Hall for Larsson is in the same boat. Because there were no reports of anything better, clearly it was the best course of action.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

So you're criticizing the trade, because you don't know about other "better" trades ........ yeah that make sense.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
So you're criticizing the trade, because you don't know about other "better" trades ........ yeah that make sense.

OR................... they could've just not done the trade

giphy.gif

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Dorion tried and failed to sign Ceci at the price & term Dorion wanted. He felt the best course of action was the trade.

It's that simple.

IF he had taken Ceci to arbitration, and ended up with him on a 1 year contract, walking him to UFA, I'm sure that you would be saying that the rumoured Zaitzev trade was a missed opportunity, and that Dorion would not get a better deal at the TDL.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
OR................... they could've just not done the trade

So you would have preferred arbitration, a one year contract, and trading Ceci at the TDL.............. OR caving in to Ceci's demands for $5.5 plus, times 5 years??

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Z is part of the team now, the trade is over. The next step is wait and see how Brown and Zaitsev play and see who, if anyone, needs to adjust their opinions on the players, the coach who advocated for him, and the management group that brought him in.

The majority of folks in here have met the trade with skepticism, which is understandable, but that stage is over now. Now we wait and see!

Zaitsev’s contract could look really good, and be highly tradable if he turns into even a regular top 4 defenseman, and Brown seems to be the type of player that might work his way into our bottom 6 permanently given how he has been described.

Or they could both suck and we’ll be looking to shed them both as soon as possible. The bright side will always at the very least be that Ceci and Harpur have moved on ;)
Zaitsev might suck but Brown is the real deal . If he was making $1.5 or less he would definitely still be on the Leafs.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
IF he had taken Ceci to arbitration, and ended up with him on a 1 year contract, walking him to UFA, I'm sure that you would be saying that the rumoured Zaitzev trade was a missed opportunity, and that Dorion would not get a better deal at the TDL.

Literally no. It would be dumb of people to say that. Zaitsev's term is too risky to take back without a sweetener. And I don't count Brown as a sweetener, since they wanted to dump his salary anyway. Could've just got him on his own

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Dorion tried and failed to sign Ceci at the price & term Dorion wanted. He felt the best course of action was the trade.

It's that simple.

Right, so Dorion felt that way and did what he did, but not that it was necessarily the best or only trade option available.

No, I would not say that. More likely I'll be lectured in 4 years about there being no money for players I want them to keep because they once again burned it all on role players and over the hill vets. Imo the best option was to go to arbitration and trade him at the deadline, or move him now for someone without so much term. Dorion decided that wasn't an option for whatever reason, which is strange considering he walked much better players in Stone, Duchene and Dzingel in to the same ufa scenario and traded Karlsson with no significant long term commitment coming back less than a year ago.

I wouldn't mind taking Zaitsev if the sweetener had been worth it.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Literally no. It would be dumb of people to say that. Zaitsev's term is too risky to take back without a sweetener. And I don't count Brown as a sweetener, since they wanted to dump his salary anyway. Could've just got him on his own

Literally just a personal opinion. My kids always use that word when they really mean figuratively, or are just trying to make their opinion have more weight.

This is a pretty weak contrarian take in my opinion, just a lackluster stab at management as an instrument to pile on the count yet again.

Do you guys ever get tired of being upset?

Last edited:

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Literally just a personal opinion. My kids always use that word when they really mean figuratively, or are just trying to make their opinion have more weight.

This is a pretty weak contrarian take in my opinion, just a lackluster stab at management as an instrument to pile on the count yet again.

Do you guys ever get tired of being upset?

What the hell is this post? Am I not allowed to disagree with a move the team makes?

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Brown has value, he's definitely not a cap dump. He seem's like he is a well rounded player who play's at a somewhat high tempo which we need right now.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Brown has value, he's definitely not a cap dump. He seem's like he is a well rounded player who play's at a somewhat high tempo which we need right now.

He does have value, but I would've rather just picked him up on his own and kept Ceci. They wanted to trade him anyway so I dont think he would've cost very much on his own

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad