TSN: Cody Ceci + Hapur + Luchuk (and pick) for Zeitsev + Brown + Carcone PART TWO

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You think Kerfoot is up for grabs now.. He may want and be awarded if it comes to that , a Kapanen type deal. They still need to move money out to sign Marner and Ceci

Ceci has (reportedly) signed for one year ......... so I take it you're talking about beyond next season.
They'll get a one season (or less) test drive, and cross that bridge when get to the TDL or before July 1st.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Ceci has (reportedly) signed for one year ......... so I take it you're talking about beyond next season.
They'll get a one season (or less) test drive, and cross that bridge when get to the TDL or before July 1st.

There were other tweets yesterday saying it maybe a long term deal and not marked on cap friendly as of now.

Edit: tweet also says only verbal agreement i think people still waiting for confirmation tbh.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
There were other tweets yesterday saying it maybe a long term deal and not marked on cap friendly as of now.

Edit: tweet also says only verbal agreement i think people still waiting for confirmation tbh.

That's why I used "reportedly" ........ as I checked CapFriendy before posting the comments.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We always seem to be trading from a disadvantage,even when we have the advantage.....Toronto needed the damn cap space moving forward.....We needed to do better...But when the whole league knows you only care about the bottom line ,you tend to always get shortchanged..

Moves like this just harden the fans outlook on what exactly this team is doing ,how about we dont always take the best money deal and make teams pay fair price for our assets

Reactions: Samboni and aragorn

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I don't like the trade (I don't think the value was especially bad, I just wouldn't have done it) but I am looking forward to Brown in our lineup. I think he's a player that helps you win. Supposedly fantastic in the room, great work ethic on and off the ice and plays both ends of the ice. Not a huge scorer but not a black hole either. I think we're going to like him as a player.

I hope the insane demand for RHD persists a couple of seasons and we're able to move Zaitsev when JBD & Thomson are ready to play.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Probably going to be the unpopular post of the day here, but I'm going to bet that Ceci is way better in Toronto than he was here.

I've maintained that coaching and trying to fit him into a system he clearly has no affinity for were a significant roadblock on Ceci. I think Toronto will actually use him in a way that compliments the few things he does pretty well.

All this said, I'm not saying Ceci is going to be GREAT in Toronto. Let's not get crazy, the guy still has his obvious warts. All I'm saying is that based on how he was used here and how they will use him there, that he'll be better there than he was here with us over the past 2 years.

Reactions: DrEasy and aragorn

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Probably going to be the unpopular post of the day here, but I'm going to bet that Ceci is way better in Toronto than he was here.

I've maintained that coaching and trying to fit him into a system he clearly has no affinity for were a significant roadblock on Ceci. I think Toronto will actually use him in a way that compliments the few things he does pretty well.

All this said, I'm not saying Ceci is going to be GREAT in Toronto. Let's not get crazy, the guy still has his obvious warts. All I'm saying is that based on how he was used here and how they will use him there, that he'll be better there than he was here with us over the past 2 years.

I would agree 100% with you on that.

He most likely will be also playing his heart out as he knows there is a bigger pressure for him to perform in Toronto as well.

The few articles I read almost demonise him for his plus minus.

He’ll want to turn that around.

Harpur will be the wild card. I doubt he pulls through

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If Ceci is pushed to the 3rd pair he will have a much better year.

With 3 guys well ahead of him in Muzzin, Reilly and Barrie, all it will take is Dermott to get into the top 4 and Ceci to fall back to the 3rd pairing.

17/18 mins a night against somewhat sheltered opposition and he'd be fine (overpaid, but fine).

Here, he was always going to get 20+ minutes, and a role he isn't suited for, mostly because of how atricoius our blue line has been.

Reactions: Variable26

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax

I agree. He's not ideally suited to be a shut down D. But he's also got miserable hands and makes questionable decisions. I just don't think he's very good. But I agree that he probably looked his worst here under Boucher.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Nice of EM to say the "leafs forgot about their defence" & then have PD help them rebuild theirs & at the same time assuring Ottawa's gets worse, but that shouldn't matter because we are rebuilding our defence with Smurfs. And once again in the Battle of Ontario when the going gets tough, Harpur will be able to lay a beating on Ottawa players now instead of Leaf players as Ottawa again becomes a super soft team. And who in Ottawa is going to confront Harpur? Small, soft & speedy, that's what they want this team to be, like that powerhouse Montreal team that keeps failing to make the playoffs. :sarcasm: :thumbd:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Nice of EM to say the "leafs forgot about their defence" & then have PD help them rebuild theirs & at the same time assuring Ottawa's gets worse, but that shouldn't matter because we are rebuilding our defence with Smurfs. And once again in the Battle of Ontario when the going gets tough, Harpur will be able to lay a beating on Ottawa players now instead of Leaf players as Ottawa again becomes a super soft team. And who in Ottawa is going to confront Harpur? Small, soft & speedy, that's what they want this team to be, like that powerhouse Montreal team that keeps failing to make the playoffs. :sarcasm: :thumbd:

We have the almighty Boro! :sarcasm:

Yes, I hope PD does realize that we need more size and grit to go deep into the playoffs

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We have the almighty Boro! :sarcasm:

Yes, I hope PD does realize that we need more size and grit to go deep into the playoffs
Boro is in the last yr of his contract & he's 29 yrs old with a concussion history, I doubt he drops his gloves with anyone this yr & why should he? I expect he will be dealt by the deadline.

Funny, how it took a tough guy like Berube to go completely against the grain & play a rugged style that won him a cup instead of going small, soft & speedy.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

I think Ceci will be deployed as he should as a 5-6 defenceman. That plus the fact that he will be playing on a team with as much offensive fire power as the Leafs have should also help him be a much better defenceman that he was here.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Yes because Harpur instilled fear onto his opponents.

Big, slow, low IQ and SOFT doesn't get you anywhere either.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
After sleeping on the trade I'm a little more down on it just because of Zaitsev's contract. 5 years is a really long time, and we could have a bunch of guys challenging for spots as early as next season. He could be our 6th D at some point in the not so distant future with a $4.5m cap hit.

I just don't think it makes a lot of sense to take a deal with such term at this stage of the game, and Connor Brown just doesn't get me excited enough to want to take on that contract.

Reactions: Deku

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The Sens LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Boro. His extension will be announced before Chabot's. Guaranteed.
He's a 6th D tough guy with concussion problems, I doubt he lasts in the NHL much longer due to his head problems more than his play. He barely played over 50 games in the last two yrs, he is affordable though for this owner.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
wonder if the sens think there's a good chance zaitsev heads back to russia in a couple years....otherwise this is a pretty shitty deal.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yes because Harpur instilled fear onto his opponents.

Big, slow, low IQ and SOFT doesn't get you anywhere either.

Harpur instills a lot more fear into his opponents than the vast amount of players in Ottawa's organization. He's none of those things, but what he lacks is experience. Lee had to tell him to not fight so much in the AHL one yr, another stupid Ottawa move. Are you agreeing with me that soft doesn't get you anywhere?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
He's a 6th D tough guy with concussion problems, I doubt he lasts in the NHL much longer due to his head problems more than his play. He barely played over 50 games in the last two yrs, he is affordable though for this owner.
The Ottawa Senators will milk the life out of Boro, his localness and the fact that he would continue to come at a cheap price.

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
I think Brown will do better here. He had Nylander and Marner playing above him. He put up great numbers in junior and the AHL. I think he’s a 50 point guy.

Reactions: coladin

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Assuming Smith wasn't responsible for Zaitsev's extreme usage, you guys are going to easily rehab his value. Someone's going to toss you a pair of 2nds for him in a year or two when your young guys push for top-4 spots.

You're too low on Zaitsev and too high on Brown right now IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad