TSN: Cody Ceci + Hapur + Luchuk (and pick) for Zeitsev + Brown + Carcone PART TWO

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
It's funny that a 'plus' from the Zaitsev trade is the shedding of Ben Harpur's massively bloated 700k contract, that was given to him just last year.

"Part of the reason why the Zaitsev deal is good is it allowed them to shed a bad one-way contract they gave out just last season"

Reactions: Deku

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
It's funny that a 'plus' from the Zaitsev trade is the shedding of Ben Harpur's massively bloated 700k contract, that was given to him just last year.

"Part of the reason why the Zaitsev deal is good is it allowed them to shed a bad one-way contract they gave out just last season"

Harpur for Brown looks pretty good, right now. Lets see how they work out in their new locations.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
They are not short on funds. They choose to be short on funds. So let them spend. You think they couldn't afford Stone because of Zack Smith's contract? And it is too early to say which kid is being blocked at this stage, isn't it? Brannstrom should not play in the NHL this year. Harpur is gone now.

I know it is au rigeur to bash this team, but there is an awful lot of reaching going on when Ottawa removes the worst defenceman on the team, who happens to play 25 minutes a game while being the worst.

I think they could have found the money to sign at least one of Stone or Duchene with the $32 million they currently have tied up in Ryan, Smith and Boedkker. I don't think that thought is particularly outlandish.

When I mentioned blocking the kids I didn't mean this season, but moving forward when all the kids we've drafted will be ready. I don't foresee that being a problem for another couple years, but at that point Zaitsev will have 3 years left on his contract and the Senators will have some of the following on the roster on knocking on the door: Chabot, Brannstrom, Wolanin, Lajoie, Thomson, Bernard-Docker, Jaros, Demelo? Tychonik? Alsing? Rookie X?

I'm not taking this position because it's in vogue, simply pointing out to you why some fans are leery of adding a player with 5 years and ~$20 million left on his deal, especially one coming off a couple of down seasons. As you (among others) like to point out, there are two sides to every story, this just happens to be the side of the argument you seemingly don't agree with.

Reactions: coladin

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
And he decided which was the best option, and pulled the trigger.

Ceci is no longer a Senator

[MOD]
And there you go. Do you ever post genuinely or is it all patronizing bs?

You tried to say it was the only option just so that you could set the poster up with a response that you could check out and tell him to get over it in your usual patronizing fashion. Now you're doing it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Alex1234

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think they could have found the money to sign at least one of Stone or Duchene with the $32 million they currently have tied up in Ryan, Smith and Boedkker. I don't think that thought is particularly outlandish.

When I mentioned blocking the kids I didn't mean this season, but moving forward when all the kids we've drafted will be ready. I don't foresee that being a problem for another couple years, but at that point Zaitsev will have 3 years left on his contract and the Senators will have some of the following on the roster on knocking on the door: Chabot, Brannstrom, Wolanin, Lajoie, Thomson, Bernard-Docker, Jaros, Demelo? Tychonik? Alsing? Rookie X?

I'm not taking this position because it's in vogue, simply pointing out to you why some fans are leery of adding a player with 5 years and ~$20 million left on his deal, especially one coming off a couple of down seasons. As you (among others) like to point out, there are two sides to every story, this just happens to be the side of the argument you seemingly don't agree with.

You are assuming they left over money.

You are also assuming that all those prospects pan out, which of course, we all know they don’t.

Right, I don’t agree with your side of the story and that is ok. I just don’t think that lack of funds was part of why Duchene, Stone and Karlsson left. Team sucks, rebuilding, lousy owner, etc...so many factors.

I am just thrilled that Ceci is gone. And equally excited to see how his minutes are distributed.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
You are assuming they left over money.

You are also assuming that all those prospects pan out, which of course, we all know they don’t.

Right, I don’t agree with your side of the story and that is ok. I just don’t think that lack of funds was part of why Duchene, Stone and Karlsson left. Team sucks, rebuilding, lousy owner, etc...so many factors.

I am just thrilled that Ceci is gone. And equally excited to see how his minutes are distributed.
Ceci's minutes are probably going to Zaitsev considering the coach lobbied Dorion to get him... which is extremely concerning. Smith watched Zaitsev get eaten alive for the past 2 years and he liked what he saw. I think that's probably a pretty important insight into how this coach will perform here.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think Brown will do better here. He had Nylander and Marner playing above him. He put up great numbers in junior and the AHL. I think he’s a 50 point guy.

Brown has played with McDavid, Matthews, Marner, Tavares etc... up next are White, Tierney and co.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
[:Mod qdp]

Imagine that. Right after claiming Dorion only had two distinct options for how to deal with Ceci and that was it. Apparently not a single other option for how to deal with it other than signing Ceci long term or trading for Zaitsev.

Here we all thought there were multiple directions to go in, but all this time there were literally only two options available.

Years of speculation could have been foregone if we'd known this whole time that Dorion only ever had two options.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Except we didn't trade Harpur for Brown.

You don't get to cherry-pick pieces of a larger trade and assume that those pieces were equal parts of the deal.

So I can't say that the conditional 1st from Columbus for Duchene doesn't look good right now??

10-4

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Z is part of the team now, the trade is over. The next step is wait and see how Brown and Zaitsev play and see who, if anyone, needs to adjust their opinions on the players, the coach who advocated for him, and the management group that brought him in.

The majority of folks in here have met the trade with skepticism, which is understandable, but that stage is over now. Now we wait and see!

Zaitsev’s contract could look really good, and be highly tradable if he turns into even a regular top 4 defenseman, and Brown seems to be the type of player that might work his way into our bottom 6 permanently given how he has been described.

Or they could both suck and we’ll be looking to shed them both as soon as possible. The bright side will always at the very least be that Ceci and Harpur have moved on ;)

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Watching Zaitzev and Brown sparks my attention and will have me tuning in to the games more than Ceci and Harpur would, at least to start the season. So At least I’m happy about that. God I just hope Zaitzev doesn’t completely suck.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
For me big picture it is a good transition getting these players.

Ron Hainsey played on the top pair and was a huge penalty killer for Toronto last year. (free agent signing).

We have Zaitsev as a reclamation project, that imo, will work out in time. Smaller city, less pressure. Also, I guess Smith likes him.

Brown, previous 20 goal scorer, young grinding winger. He will complement our young gritty guys, imagine him next to tkachuk and white or with brown and batherson, oohh weee.

Ennis, I like him. I liked him at the world championships a couple of years ago. I believe he is a previous 20 goal scorer. Small but versatile, if we put him with the small centre we signed and a gritty 6-4 winger (Nurmi). Nice fourth line?

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010
Dorion has also traditionally stocked our league worst farm team for 5+ years with meat heads like Blunden, Sieloff, McCormick, Dziurzynki, Tyler Randall, Erkamps, Stortini, etc. Its only been since Mann came along this past season that we saw some more skill be emphasized on our AHL club and to no one's surprise they had their best season in years.

As much as Dorion and Melnyk are to blame for most of the issues here, this was 100% on Randy Lee, who was the GM of the AHL team the last few years.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
My reaction to this trade now is What the f*** Ever.

You won’t have to listen to me talk about ceci anymore so big win for the Boards.

Wierd haven’t heard anyone say they were wrong about ceci. Had loooooottss of defenders the pst few years that kept citing managements and coaches love for him.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
My reaction to this trade now is What the **** Ever.

You won’t have to listen to me talk about ceci anymore so big win for the Boards.

Wierd haven’t heard anyone say they were wrong about ceci. Had loooooottss of defenders the pst few years that kept citing managements and coaches love for him.

I thought he might turns things around, and he never did.

I had decided that I’d be ok seeing what DJ could do with him, but after it was all said and done, I actually feel much better now that he’s been traded.

Big bonus for the board, hahaha

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Ceci's minutes are probably going to Zaitsev considering the coach lobbied Dorion to get him... which is extremely concerning. Smith watched Zaitsev get eaten alive for the past 2 years and he liked what he saw. I think that's probably a pretty important insight into how this coach will perform here.
Maybe having a different partner in a different system will play more to Z's strengths. DJ probably had his own ideas on what is best, but has to do what Babcock wants, ultimately. I am happy to see him take up Ceci's minutes.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
My reaction to this trade now is What the **** Ever.

Exactly!
The ''He must be good since they are keeping him and are going to offer a contract to him'' stuff..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad