TSN: Cody Ceci + Hapur + Luchuk (and pick) for Zeitsev + Brown + Carcone PART TWO

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I heard Dorion said he liked the fact that Zaitsev still has 5 years left on his deal. Can anyone confirm that this is true?

He probably did. After all, once the Leafs paid that bonus, we now get Zaitsev for $3.9 million per year AAV. For any organization in today's NHL, cost certainty is huge. If Zaitsev can get back to being the guy he was in his first year in the NHL, that's excellent value. We need a veteran to eat minutes as a right shot defenceman for a few years until Bernard-Docker and/or Thomson are ready, and I'd rather have Zaitsev do that than Ceci.

Reactions: Crosside

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
No hindsight here. Ceci is bad. Was bad.

Lol. I’m super happy he’s gone. And you are right. He’s gone now Becuase he wanted more than what dorion wanted to offer. But I mean. Ceci was a superstar until he wanted the money, and then he’s the guy you use to acquire a cap dump. I mean. Think about it.

I heard Dorion said he liked the fact that Zaitsev still has 5 years left on his deal. Can anyone confirm that this is true?

The Senators wanted Ceci at $4.5 M on a four or five year contact extension. He wanted much more. They swapped him for Zaitzev at $4.5 for five years .........not exactly the same player, but both are probably a 4/5 D man on either team.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
He probably did. After all, once the Leafs paid that bonus, we now get Zaitsev for $3.9 million per year AAV. For any organization in today's NHL, cost certainty is huge. If Zaitsev can get back to being the guy he was in his first year in the NHL, that's excellent value. We need a veteran to eat minutes as a right shot defenceman for a few years until Bernard-Docker and/or Thomson are ready, and I'd rather have Zaitsev do that than Ceci.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the best part about this from EM/PD's perspective that the salary is 3.9/ year but the cap hit is 4.5/year? That's the beauty from managements perspective, they get closer the cap without spending the same amount of money which allows them to hit the floor while keeping actual dollars out as low as possible.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
FQL, I know you don’t like him, you’ve made that clear.

Obviously, management and coaching feel that they can turn Zaitsev’s career around. If he can get back to being a top 4 defender, his contract will be very reasonable. Also, in a couple of years when he has two or three years left in his deal, his contract will be movable for assets should we want to.

That’s the plan, by the looks of it. There is really nothing left at this point than to see if they’re gamble will pay off, or if you’re right and he’s trash. You’ve made your case, with lots of stats and links, but in the end it will come down to what happens on the ice.

Let’s wait and see how it plays out, because no one is going to change their opinions right now, no matter how many times we argue around the circle.

The Sens owner, management and coaching have brought the Sens to the bottom of the league. They have hung themselves!

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the best part about this from EM/PD's perspective that the salary is 3.9/ year but the cap hit is 4.5/year? That's the beauty from managements perspective, they get closer the cap without spending the same amount of money which allows them to hit the floor while keeping actual dollars out as low as possible.

Yes, that's always the play with Eugene. It looks like DJ had a hard on for Zaitsev and he passed that hard on along to Pierre, who looked at his real money/AAV split and and got an even bigger hard on. Due to the room full of hard ons for Z, we surrendered leverage to Toronto and accepted Connor Brown as the sweetener for taking Z's contract, when Pierre should have been hiding his hard on and acting like he didn't really need him at all in order to get Dubas to cave and give us something worth our while.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
The salary is 4.5 million a year. This year Toronto paid his bonus on July 1st so Ottawa only has to pay him 1.5 million for the rest of the year, or 3 million less then they would of had to pay Ceci. I assume people are using the 3.9 million a year salary because that's what it averages out to.

I think more telling though is it shows that Ottawa really operates within their budget on a year to year basis. Next year when Zaitzev is owed his full 4.5 million (including the 3 million bonus) what do they do? Do they let a guy like Pageau walk? Do they bring up a goalie on an ECL to backup Nilsson even if their not ready for that role? Maybe if Zaitzev rebounds they try and trade him to avoid paying his 3 million dollar bonus that's owed again on July 1.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think more telling though is it shows that Ottawa really operates within their budget on a year to year basis. Next year when Zaitzev is owed his full 4.5 million (including the 3 million bonus) what do they do? Do they let a guy like Pageau walk? Do they bring up a goalie on an ECL to backup Nilsson even if their not ready for that role? Maybe if Zaitzev rebounds they try and trade him to avoid paying his 3 million dollar bonus that's owed again on July 1.

He actually doesn't have SB's due for the next two years, only in the last 2 years of the deal ($2 million/per. )

The rest of your point stands though, imo. I mean, getting Zaitsev at $1.5 million for this upcoming season is probably a boon for management, heck, they got Zaitsev AND Brown for cheaper than what they would have paid Ceci. I don't think Melnyk cares about any issues the contract will bring 3/4 years down the road as he'll have either sold the team by then or it gives him 3 full seasons to try and figure out a way out of that deal.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
He actually doesn't have SB's due for the next two years, only in the last 2 years of the deal ($2 million/per. )

The rest of your point stands though, imo. I mean, getting Zaitsev at $1.5 million for this upcoming season is probably a boon for management, heck, they got Zaitsev AND Brown for cheaper than what they would have paid Ceci. I don't think Melnyk cares about any issues the contract will bring 3/4 years down the road as he'll have either sold the team by then or it gives him 3 full seasons to try and figure out a way out of that deal.
oops ya thanks for pointing that out, i misread that on capfriendly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad