Coach's Corner with Don Cherry season 2019-2020 (not a general Don Cherry thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
So this thread is going to be the same as previous years I guess.

People come in and comment their displeasure or mock something Don says, and are simply told to turn it off if you don't like it.

While I agree that is a fair response in many cases when it comes to entertainment and television, this case is slightly different. For one, "Coaches Corner" is not the main attraction that people tune in for at approx. 8:00pm Eastern for. It is merely a small segment of the larger event know as "HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA", an institution in this country. If people are fans of the program as a whole, they are allowed to gripe about certain parts of it if they feel they are sub-par. For me, I wish the 1st intermission of the first primetime HNIC game was better spent. It is a chance for there to be quality analysis on not only the game being broadcast, but the stories of the night, the week, and the year. No more eyes are on the TV across the country all week than at this time. Let's make the best of it. And excuse me if I think if Coaches Corner could be improved on, with a different personality leading the way, one more in tough with the game today. I am entitles to that opinion, and am entitled to express such an opinion here.

if this were true, what is stopping them from moving it to the second intermission ? No one is forcing you to watch anything in the first intermission. Because you like HNIC doesnt mean you have to like EVERY FREAKING second of a HNIC broadcast.

And grapes IS making the best of it, people DO tune into coaches corner. If you have ever watched a game at a bar, it is not uncommon to kill the music and turn up the sound when he is talking. when he is done, the music comes back on.

if you think that coaches corner should be improved on, fine. But you can't separate it from the man himself, grapes IS coaches corner. If you are now feigning offense that cherry will NOT change the schtick that made him the most popular hockey opinionist on the planet to satisfy what you would like more, I have to ask not rhetorically, did you ever think that was a viable, even if completely remote, option ?

no one is saying you are not entitled to an opinion, additionally you are FREE to act on that opinion. what people are saying is that no matter how strong your convition about whether Cherry is making the best use of his time, you don't get to make that decision for ANYONE but yourself.

When people stop watching don, he will be off the air. but he's gonna die first so its kinda moot.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
if this were true, what is stopping them from moving it to the second intermission ? No one is forcing you to watch anything in the first intermission. Because you like HNIC doesnt mean you have to like EVERY FREAKING second of a HNIC broadcast.

And grapes IS making the best of it, people DO tune into coaches corner. If you have ever watched a game at a bar, it is not uncommon to kill the music and turn up the sound when he is talking. when he is done, the music comes back on.

if you think that coaches corner should be improved on, fine. But you can't separate it from the man himself, grapes IS coaches corner. If you are now feigning offense that cherry will NOT change the schtick that made him the most popular hockey opinionist on the planet to satisfy what you would like more, I have to ask not rhetorically, did you ever think that was a viable, even if completely remote, option ?

no one is saying you are not entitled to an opinion, additionally you are FREE to act on that opinion. what people are saying is that no matter how strong your convition about whether Cherry is making the best use of his time, you don't get to make that decision for ANYONE but yourself.

When people stop watching don, he will be off the air. but he's gonna die first so its kinda moot.

I'm guessing Rogers would like to keep my tuned in during the entire broadcast. Because knowing me, if I switch my TV to something else, I'm prone to forget what I was previously watching and forget to switch back. But again, this is my personally opinion that HNIC could be better if the 1st intermission was of better quality.

No, I have never witnessed the phenomenon of the bar music going down JUST for Coaches Corner. Either the speakers are playing the TV sound, or they are playing music through the games including intermissions.

"Feigning offence"? LOL, I have no indicated any level of "offence", just simply non-enjoyment. He hasn't been the most popular hockey opinionist in over a decade. And Absolutely yes it could be feasibly improved on.

How am I trying to make any decision for anyone else? Simply expressing my opinion, no more no less.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I'm guessing Rogers would like to keep my tuned in during the entire broadcast. Because knowing me, if I switch my TV to something else, I'm prone to forget what I was previously watching and forget to switch back. But again, this is my personally opinion that HNIC could be better if the 1st intermission was of better quality.

No, I have never witnessed the phenomenon of the bar music going down JUST for Coaches Corner. Either the speakers are playing the TV sound, or they are playing music through the games including intermissions.

"Feigning offence"? LOL, I have no indicated any level of "offence", just simply non-enjoyment. He hasn't been the most popular hockey opinionist in over a decade. And Absolutely yes it could be feasibly improved on.

How am I trying to make any decision for anyone else? Simply expressing my opinion, no more no less.
Who is a more popular hockey opinions?

Strombo? Damian Cox? Brooksie? El creepador McGuire?

Not only is he THE most popular hockey opinionist on the planet, it's not even particularly close. Lots of guys vying for a distant second.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Who is a more popular hockey opinions?

Strombo? Damian Cox? Brooksie? El creepador McGuire?

Not only is he THE most popular hockey opinionist on the planet, it's not even particularly close. Lots of guys vying for a distant second.
Nice collection of lame-o's lol.

Freidman and Mackenzie are two off the top of my head that not one really seems to have anything bad to say about, certainly more popular and less polarizing than Don Cherry.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

I totally agree.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Nice collection of lame-o's lol.

Freidman and Mackenzie are two off the top of my head that not one really seems to have anything bad to say about, certainly more popular and less polarizing than Don Cherry.
both are insiders, they are NOT opinionists.
but nice try

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

And others express their opinion by tuning into coaches corner like moths to a flame. In HUGE numbers.

its quite the connundrum. On one side we have individuals who don't like grapes and think that he isn't making the best use of his time and that coaches corner should CHANGE to more appropriately align with their desires. If these individuals did not express their desires in earlier times, rest assured the arguments are still completely the same.

on the other hand you have a huge demographic who will tune in every week whether they like grapes or not.

This is just soooo hard to figure out which side should be catered to ? the individual and his predecessors or the group of people who have, almost religiously, tuned in between the first and second period of saturday night games for a really long time.

I mean this is one of those tomato, tomahto type deals. there just inst a clear better choice.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Personally, I see this is as his last season.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I just think he has lost it and Rogers probably wants to move on.
rogers wants to move on away from the personality that makes the commercials AFTER the CC intro but before he speaks their most expensive to buy ?

I know that sportsnet is bleeding cash, but that isnt by design which would be if you take the on air celebrity who draws more eyes than all of the other on air talent combined.

if rogers doesnt want him, someone else will.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
rogers wants to move on away from the personality that makes the commercials AFTER the CC intro but before he speaks their most expensive to buy ?

I know that sportsnet is bleeding cash, but that isnt by design which would be if you take the on air celebrity who draws more eyes than all of the other on air talent combined.

if rogers doesnt want him, someone else will.

Maybe I am in the minority then, I do other things during the first intermission of HNIC. I don't pay attention to what he says. He is not that much better than their other personalities nowadays. I'd rather listen to Burke, tbh.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
and when don says things that you don't like. you advocate that the format of the show should change OR he should be removed BECAUSE he says things you dont like.

just wondering, which one came first ?

pot meet mr kettle.
All I've simply stated is that I think they could do better then the current Coaches Corner segment. And if they did, I would be happy about that. I have no ill will for Mr. Cherry. I do not wish him harm. I am simply of the opinion that the game has passed him by and he is no longer in touch with the game as it is these days. It was bound to happen for a guy being on the air as long as he has. I do hope he gets to go out on his terms.

Reactions: BLONG7 and AzHawk

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
All I've simply stated is that I think they could do better then the current Coaches Corner segment. And if they did, I would be happy about that. I have no ill will for Mr. Cherry. I do not wish him harm. I am simply of the opinion that the game has passed him by and he is no longer in touch with the game as it is these days. It was bound to happen for a guy being on the air as long as he has. I do hope he gets to go out on his terms.
And I of of the opinion that as long as grapes is popular ( today back at least 15 years) and can draw eyes like nobody else, that some people don't like it isn't justification to advocate change OR that he shouldn't be able to do it at all becuase a minority of professional whiners expect to be catered to over the more populous majority.

The comparison to the Kardashian's is apt. I don't get it, I don't watch it. But to suggest that people ( lots) don't watch it is a lie and to further suggest that becuase I don't like it that the people who do should have to lump it requires a level of self importance that I cannot personally pull off.

I guess it's good that not everyone is like me.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Good points in the past few posts.

As long as Don Cherry has still got a large group of people who like him and want to hear what he has to say, he 's not going anywhere.
(Health or retirement aside.)

Ratings - ratings - ratings....

images.jpg

"And don't you kids.... ever forget that!"

RaginRonic

The Ragin' One. with the big shoulder chip.
Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
Don's favoritism/cheerleading to/of the Boston Booins is the biggest reason why he has no business being under contract to any NHL rights holder around the world.

He only sits there and promotes the Booins brand, and gets paid by them to do so.

It's why the Coach's Corner segment should be axed...because Don has no intention of showing neutrality towards all NHL clubs.

=P

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Don's favoritism/cheerleading to/of the Boston Booins is the biggest reason why he has no business being under contract to any NHL rights holder around the world.

He only sits there and promotes the Booins brand, and gets paid by them to do so.

It's why the Coach's Corner segment should be axed...because Don has no intention of showing neutrality towards all NHL clubs.

=P

It's the CBC, since when is neutrality expected?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

=P
He pimps the Leafs, more than the Bruins, and collects money from the taxpayers of Canada to do so.......it's bizarre....but like a train wreck at times, it's hard to look away. I might watch him 2-3 times a year, and it's beyond old now.

Change it up, and put crazy ol Burkie in there!! That at least will be semi entertaining.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
He pimps the Leafs, more than the Bruins, and collects money from the taxpayers of Canada to do so.......it's bizarre....but like a train wreck at times, it's hard to look away. I might watch him 2-3 times a year, and it's beyond old now.

Change it up, and put crazy ol Burkie in there!! That at least will be semi entertaining.
He is paid by Rogers sportsnet. When CBC ran HNiC he was paid but brought in a lot more revenue becuase he drew eyes like no other.

But CBC has been out of the game for a while

Reactions: BLONG7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad