Coach's Corner with Don Cherry season 2019-2020 (not a general Don Cherry thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

v4karuna

Apr 23, 2015
I was watching it live and didn't read much into it, if anything came out thinking it was an inspiring message to get more people in Toronto to donate and wear a poppy.

Then I went to bed and woke up to national news accusing him of racism, anti immigration, and xenophobia. Whoooaaa??

I'm a proud immigrant from India and I support what Don Cherry said.

People are too sensitive these days and it's really freaking me out.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I was watching it live and didn't read much into it, if anything came out thinking it was an inspiring message to get more people in Toronto to donate and wear a poppy.

Then I went to bed and woke up to national news accusing him of racism, anti immigration, and xenophobia. Whoooaaa??

I'm a proud immigrant from India and I support what Don Cherry said.

People are too sensitive these days and it's really freaking me out.
If he wanted to just talk about the poppies, he would have done that.

He knew exactly what he was saying.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Imagine living in a world where you keep score of how many immigrants/non-immigrants wear or don't wear poppies. If this doesn't force Sportsnet to fire him, nothing will.
Not to get into this feud, but I sort of get where he's coming from.

First off I don't like Cherry, he's a xenophobe and all of that. However, the poppies symbolise veterans of World War I and II correct? If so, then Canadian was probably a very white nation then and non-white immigrants moving to Canada now - due to globalisation and that it's easier to move from places now compared to World War I and II - probably don't give a **** about some dude's grandfather and grand-grandfather. What he needs to realise is that it's just human nature. There are funerals taking place everyday, but majority of us don't really care because we're not connected to that person or situation. It's sad, but that is how we all function.

I personally don't wear a poppy, not sure where to get one and that one red flower doesn't determine me as a person, but that doesn't mean I don't respect the soldiers that lost their lives against evil in both wars.

I think what a lot of people need to realise here is that immigrants don't equal skin colour either. I played junior hockey in Canada that had a huge foreign population of German immigrants....they're white. So I am not sure where these "Don Cherry is a racist" comments are coming from...

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
2. Here's the thing that you, and a lot of people on one side can't understand. You can't just silence people because you disagree with them.

I don't want you silent-I want you screaming from the mountain tops.
I want the light to shine on you.
I also want people to know that the views are abhorrent and not considered, cool or proper.

Reactions: Bill McNeal

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
You mean freedoms such as the choice of what symbols to wear or not wear? I for one support an individual's freedom to make these types of decisions for themselves. You, or anyone else, doesn't get to talk out of both sides of your mouth like this.
I’m not talking out of both sides of my mouth. If you don’t understand about fighting for their freedoms and for others, pick up a book and read about the holocaust. They didn’t fight for symbols. They fought for freedoms.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
giphy.gif

tenor.gif

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Once again Grapes brings nothing to the table for HNIC. and people are surprised he is offending people, again? Best of intentions? Not likely, does he care, nope...

Get him a severance pkg and move on folks, it's now older than Cherry himself.

HNIC fans deserve better than this guy...put him on Leafs TV or NESN and he can spew what he wants for the Leafs and the Bruins.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I don't want you silent-I want you screaming from the mountain tops.
I want the light to shine on you.
I also want people to know that the views are abhorrent and not considered, cool or proper.
Maybe you specifically, but there are definitely people on one side that want to silence people for opposing views.

Cool or Proper? People who are on the "right" side don't do it for popularity. You should know that.

Btw, I'm absolutely amazed this thread is still open.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Instead of focusing on your dislike of Don Cherry, why don’t you take a deep dive into the role of ordinary Canadians in both World Wars and then look at the sacrifices and service of the Canadian military.
Carefully consider the courage and selflessness of those who have gone before you and those that have your back now.
If you are really looking for truth you will find it and those comments that you are so offended by would not seem out of place.
why would he criticize immigrants for not wearing poppies when a lot do and not criticize canadians who were born here who according to him know the history better and still don't wear poppies. why single anybody out. the sacrifice the soldiers made was an afterthought to him. the blaming the immigrants was his only purpose yesterday.

mobilus

Five and a game
Jan 6, 2009
high slot
Canadian customs and traditions? I’ll say it again. An American woman and French woman began the tradition in London, United Kingdom in 1921. It was later picked up by Commonwealth nations and in the US but has fallen out of favor in the US. It’s a borrowed tradition and not a Canadian custom.
Christmas trees didn't start in Canada, but it's a Canadian custom and tradition. Hockey didn't start in Finland, but it's a Finnish custom and tradition. You're equating origins with behaviour, it's not the same thing.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I’m not talking out of both sides of my mouth. If you don’t understand about fighting for their freedoms and for others, pick up a book and read about the holocaust. They didn’t fight for symbols. They fought for freedoms.
Yes, freedoms like the freedom of expression, which you don't seem to support. I'm well versed in history, thank you very much. Canada did not enter WWII because of the holocaust like you seem to think, we entered it as part of the Commonwealth when Germany invaded Poland and England gave them an ultimatum to stop or have war declared on them.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
An old conservative dude hates immigrants. Color me surprised.
and the irony: wikipedia says he has at least one grandparent who was an immigrant
more likely then that he just hates anything browner than tan

Reactions: hawksrule

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Canadians have become polarized and this thread confirms this chasm.
Don Cherry’s point wasn’t racism it was simply calling all Canadians either old or new Canadians to value and recognize the sacrifices of of our military throughout our history.
Is buying a poppy that offensive to some of you that you’d rather attack the man than the message.
This so called diversity culture is actually a divisive culture and it’s troubling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest