Coach's Corner with Don Cherry season 2019-2020 (not a general Don Cherry thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Don said the Leafs dont have a shot at the cup and pointed out their lack of toughness, further proving that he is NOT biased toward the Canadian teams.

But fans, like always, will quickly forget this.

As for his alleged xenophobia, I once did have a problem with it. But after how the US media reacted to a Canadian team winning the NBA championship, it doesnt bother me so much anymore and am rather OK with it now.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Don said the Leafs dont have a shot at the cup and pointed out their lack of toughness, further proving that he is NOT biased toward the Canadian teams.

But fans, like always, will quickly forget this.

As for his alleged xenophobia, I once did have a problem with it. But after how the US media reacted to a Canadian team winning the NBA championship, it doesnt bother me so much anymore and am rather OK with it now.

That's not xenophobia though.
The US media's preference for an American team winning a championship, or Cherry's support for Canadian teams is nothing out of the ordinary.
Where xenophobia rears its ugly head when Cherry refuses to embrace and/or acknowledge individual players for nationalistic reasons. I mean I couldn't imagine some pundit on American TV saying what Cherry does, a la "This MLB club won because they were comprised of good ole American players, less Latinos".

I understand Cherry is an entertainer, but his shtick isn't aging well. I watch hockey to escape from all the bigotry, dogmatism and divisiveness in today's political climate. The last thing I want to see is some loud mouth dinosaur, with no intelligent undercurrent, espousing that BS. Probably will be ignoring him from here on out.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The US media's preference for an American team winning a championship, or Cherry's support for Canadian teams is nothing out of the ordinary.
Where xenophobia rears its ugly head when Cherry refuses to embrace and/or acknowledge individual players for nationalistic reasons. I mean I couldn't imagine some pundit on American TV saying what Cherry does, a la "This MLB club won because they were comprised of good ole American players, less Latinos".

I understand Cherry is an entertainer, but his shtick isn't aging well. I watch hockey to escape from all the bigotry, dogmatism and divisiveness in today's political climate. The last thing I want to see is some loud mouth dinosaur, with no intelligent undercurrent, espousing that BS. Probably will be ignoring him from here on out.

Though this thread isn't meant as a general Cherry talk thread, I will say that to me he's come off mostly as an overly protective sports patriot. He's thinking about all those "good Canadian kids" ahead of foreign players. He just expresses it (intentionally?) poorly for these times. He's expressed how he likes former European NHL stars such as Bure and Selänne and likes Ovie. I realize he's probably too old to make the trip these days, but he should make a visit to Finland, the Canada of Europe, to experience the hockey culture and mentality. Maybe Teemu could be his tour guide. :laugh:

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Good on Grapes for calling out the leafs lack of toughness. He’s 100% right
Can't say I disagree...Can't remember when a team last won the Cup with a roster full of 'skill' players...Seems like there's always a fair number of muckers/grinders on the bottom 6.

Rennlist

Aug 13, 2019
Liked the old photo and bit on Connie "Mad Dog" Madigan. Oldest rookie ever to play in the NHL, and Cherry said he's still working up in the oil patch in his 80's.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia

I agree it's not their preference of a US team winning that is xenophobic, but the way they address it certainly is. Comments ranging from how the championship "should never go to Canada" sounds much more anti-Canadian than pro-American.

Also, a baseball guy saying something about encouraging less Latinos is blatant racist as opposed to saying something about caucasian Europeans. A double standard? Absolutely, but that's just how it is. Ive seen people at work impersonate Italians as if their are all Mario Bros and nobody beats an eye. Different story if they were impersonating someone with an Asian accent.

And besides, I think Cherry's comments about Euro players and so on is more of a character he plays than anything. He gets a kick out of his riled up everyone gets.

Anyhow, sorry to make this political but it was pertaining to Don.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Good on Grapes for calling out the leafs lack of toughness. He’s 100% right

Pre-season = Regular season does not equal playoffs. The leafs team is built for All Star caliber hockey.

This was evident in last night's game whereby the blues turned it up a notch halfway through the 2nd and it wasn't even close thereafter...

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
And of course old man Cherry doesn't like teams handing out POG's at the end of a game.

is that what he said ? I thought he just didnt want to do it for the cameras. Game pucks ( capes/sombreros/etc)have been around a really long time. the fact that its kind of silly also has little to do with his age.

seeing matthews globtrotter it with a basketball because he was the best player on the ice was cringeworthy for someone who isnt grapes' age. but different strokes for different folks, I presume.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Does anyone have the link to the video where Grapes calls out countries that call it "Ice Hockey"?

Maybe when it occurred? Maybe even just the season?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Since someone didn't like my last post, you don't get to opine on what most people would admit, especially when if your position were true, he wouldn't be the most popular hockey opinionist on the planet.

Why is it that the people who all say that he should be off the air, all willfully admit they don't even watch him (liars)?
don't like grapes? Fine by me. There are plenty, plenty who do.

Sasquatchbreath

Oct 7, 2019

He has said numerous times that Freddy Andersen, a Dane, Is the best goalie in the world. What an asshole! I also find it hypocritical to dislike him for his “xenophobia” and then discriminate against him for his age. Classic you though.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
then be an adult and change the channel. I don't need a mother to tell me what I can and cannot watch, because as an adult myself, I can make that determination for my own damn self.

There is a TON of things on TV that I would bet you do not like. How many of them are you trying to remove ? why not just accept that not everyone on the planet has to appreciate things the way you do?

Yeah you are right, that's way to hard. so much easier to tell others what they should and should not be able to watch

[MOD] I love Don Cherry. Many people are not able to fathom that his persona on HNIC is a character, and he deliberately makes hyperbolic statements for the sake of entertainment/publicity.

Can Don be polarizing during his segments? Sure. However, it doesn't change the fact that Don in his personal life is as charitable and cordial as it gets. Maybe if people would embrace that side of him rather than his optics on television, he would be perceived in a positive light.

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
So this thread is going to be the same as previous years I guess.

People come in and comment their displeasure or mock something Don says, and are simply told to turn it off if you don't like it.

While I agree that is a fair response in many cases when it comes to entertainment and television, this case is slightly different. For one, "Coaches Corner" is not the main attraction that people tune in for at approx. 8:00pm Eastern for. It is merely a small segment of the larger event know as "HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA", an institution in this country. If people are fans of the program as a whole, they are allowed to gripe about certain parts of it if they feel they are sub-par. For me, I wish the 1st intermission of the first primetime HNIC game was better spent. It is a chance for there to be quality analysis on not only the game being broadcast, but the stories of the night, the week, and the year. No more eyes are on the TV across the country all week than at this time. Let's make the best of it. And excuse me if I think if Coaches Corner could be improved on, with a different personality leading the way, one more in tough with the game today. I am entitles to that opinion, and am entitled to express such an opinion here.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Pre-season = Regular season does not equal playoffs. The leafs team is built for All Star caliber hockey.

This was evident in last night's game whereby the blues turned it up a notch halfway through the 2nd and it wasn't even close thereafter...

The Sharks were built for it in 2006 and they crumbled because they weren't tough enough. The same holds true for the Leafs. They need to show that they're not which they have yet to do.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
The Sharks were built for it in 2006 and they crumbled because they weren't tough enough. The same holds true for the Leafs. They need to show that they're not which they have yet to do.
I agree with this, but also it appears Babs has lost the dressing room...Few if any wish to play his style (or are capable of it)...If the Leafs get embarrassed in Detroit Saturday night...

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
So this thread is going to be the same as previous years I guess.

People come in and comment their displeasure or mock something Don says, and are simply told to turn it off if you don't like it.

While I agree that is a fair response in many cases when it comes to entertainment and television, this case is slightly different. For one, "Coaches Corner" is not the main attraction that people tune in for at approx. 8:00pm Eastern for. It is merely a small segment of the larger event know as "HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA", an institution in this country. If people are fans of the program as a whole, they are allowed to gripe about certain parts of it if they feel they are sub-par. For me, I wish the 1st intermission of the first primetime HNIC game was better spent. It is a chance for there to be quality analysis on not only the game being broadcast, but the stories of the night, the week, and the year. No more eyes are on the TV across the country all week than at this time. Let's make the best of it. And excuse me if I think if Coaches Corner could be improved on, with a different personality leading the way, one more in tough with the game today. I am entitles to that opinion, and am entitled to express such an opinion here.

That’s a very good point in terms of justifying the critique of Cherry.
If Don had his own half hour show, and someone couldnt stand him, yea ok, shut your mouth and change the channel.

But Cherry is just a small segment of HNC where the main attraction is the game.
If his ranting and raving diminishes one’s overall HNC viewing experience, it’s completely justified to call him out on it. It’s no different than criticizing any other aspect of HNC from the hosts, announcers, to too much advertising, etc.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
That’s a very good point in terms of justifying the critique of Cherry.
If Don had his own half hour show, and someone couldnt stand him, yea ok, shut your mouth and change the channel.

But Cherry is just a small segment of HNC where the main attraction is the game.
If his ranting and raving diminishes one’s overall HNC viewing experience, it’s completely justified to call him out on it. It’s no different than criticizing any other aspect of HNC from the hosts, announcers, to too much advertising, etc.
Good points, not to mention it is tax payers dollars that pay this guy to be awful night after night.

It really is time for HNIC to move on......guess we could say he is past his expiration, and is now Sour Grapes!! lol

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
Good points, not to mention it is tax payers dollars that pay this guy to be awful night after night.

It hasn't been like that for years. CBC has no say in this anymore since Rogers got the rights for everything, produce the games for CBC and all their Rogers channels including CityTV. Cherry and McLean are paid by Rogers, and it was Rogers who brought in Strombo to replace McLean when they first got the rights.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I agree with this, but also it appears Babs has lost the dressing room...Few if any wish to play his style (or are capable of it)...If the Leafs get embarrassed in Detroit Saturday night...

Babcock hasn't lost the dressing room, they've gotten rid of the lazy, ineffective players from the old regime. They'll turn over the team first before getting rid of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->